The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanner Glass: Crosby's leadership style like Sedins

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/5/3/glass-crosbys-leadership-style-like-sedins

Insightful look at the leadership of Pittsburgh Penguins superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, via The Tribune-Review.

Teammates offer anecdotes and thoughts on both guys, with some really good nuggets of info.

Tanner Glass volunteered this on Crosby, while comparing his leadership style to that of the Sedins in Vancouver: "You see how much he cares, so when it's not going well, he carries it on his shoulders. Take responsibility for things, come in and put in the extra work; Sid doesn't have to say it, but you can tell when he's not happy. When things are not going well, he's not pleased. When that's the case, he's trying to fix things by getting better himself."

"You want to follow guys like that."

Source: Rob Rossi, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Just a small neat article thought I'd share. Former Canuck Glass comparing Crosby's leadership qualities to the Sedins and should put into perspective how lucky we are to have a guy of Hanks calibre wearing the C for us.

Still don't quite get why people think Hank isn't a good caption. He is an excellent leader. Sure he's not one who will pump up his team by giving a crazy speech and such but he leads by example and let's his play and characteristics do the talking for him. In fact a lot of NHL captains are Hank like in that they are soft spoken and want to lead by example and actions. Current captains besides Crosby like Toews, Staal, Landeskog, Benn, Zetterberg, Koivu, Gionta, Tavares, Giroux, Stamkos are all similar leaders in comparison to Hank and it's more so shocking if anything how contagious the misconception is that Hank isn't a fitting captain. Hear it from Tanner who's played for both Hank and Sid.

Eaither H.Sedin or Bieksa for Captain next season

That's not even a discussion. Hank is the captain and will be till retirement/he leaves. We all know Bieksa is a solid leader too and he's like this teams unofficial captain.

Henrik is pretty respected around the league. The last game the Canucks played against the Bruins this season, Henrik was clearly playing hurt, and all the Bruins under the advisement of Chara avoided hitting Henrik out of respect. Believe it or not.

he didnt really say anything about hank at all.... he didnt say hank does this and crosby does that ect... he just talked about crosby and didnt say anything of him being like hank or vise versa.... maybe he was saying crosby works harder when things are not going his way compared to the sedins....

Hank is a good captain. But he needs the others in the leadership group to be complementary to his style as well. The trouble with the Canucks is the other core leaders are either not willing or not capable of leading by example. They talk a good game but the reality is that they do not carry the team on their shoulders in crunch time.

The best "leaders" are the ones that do not accept being good enough and do not make excuses when their team or them individually isn't. More than anything about on ice talent I would love to see guys like Bieksa go from the leadership group and new leadership voices brought in to complement the Sedins.

Malhotra was a quiet but effective leader on this team. I think people underestimate just the impact he had and the way Gillis treated him had on the leadership group's effectiveness.

And no, Bieksa is not irreplaceable. He would generate a good return and would clear out some of the leadership cloudiness. He is not good enough on the ice to be considered too good to trade imo.

Henrik is pretty respected around the league. The last game the Canucks played against the Bruins this season, Henrik was clearly playing hurt, and all the Bruins under the advisement of Chara avoided hitting Henrik out of respect. Believe it or not.

:blink: ... Really? Is there a video or news report about that? It'd be crazy if it happened but I find it hard to believe that it actually did. I mean if other teams have apparently gone after Hank (If I recall correctly the Flames planned to after Hanzal hit him) then why would the big bad Bruins not seize these kinds of opportunities? Maybe it's my 2011 Finals stigma rearing its ugly head...

Henrik is definitely a humble guy who gives it what he has, but if he and Danny were take-charge like Crosby and Malkin are in terms of their play we'd be gravy, and we could use another forward next to Kes who can lead on his ice through his play (no offense to the Twins of course). Someone else in the Brendan Gallagher, Perry/ Getzlaf, Jonathan Toews or Mike Richards mold who lets their play do the talking would really help this team.

To me Henrik is the exact same captain that Naslund was. A class act on and off the ice.

A one dimensional player who could not raise his game when it mattered most and did not make anyone else raise theirs as well.

Crosby is also a class act . However, Sid has raised his game not only in the Cup finals but famously in the Olympics as well.

I think we as Canucks fans take the Sedins for granted, while other teams either are jealous or think highly of them.

I'm pretty sure all 29 teams would be interested in them if they were ever available, just goes to show you they are one of the best and we are fortunate enough to have them..

If we can't win a cup with them then this team is cursed..

This isn't going to be very popular I'm sure, but I don't think the Sedins are great leaders. Too many nights they simply don't show up, especially when it comes to the playoffs. Even when their sticks go cold, there are other things they can do to impact the game, and we just don't see it from them. I was in favour of Kesler being given the "C" and still think it would have been the right decision. He wears it on his sleeve. Instead even the "A" was taken away and he is likely gone.

Source?

This isn't going to be very popular I'm sure, but I don't think the Sedins are great leaders. Too many nights they simply don't show up, especially when it comes to the playoffs. Even when their sticks go cold, there are other things they can do to impact the game, and we just don't see it from them. I was in favour of Kesler being given the "C" and still think it would have been the right decision. He wears it on his sleeve. Instead even the "A" was taken away and he is likely gone.

yeah, and you'd think the fact that kesler losing his "a" was the result of the players voting on the matter might tell you that kesler isn't captain material like the ridiculous fans of this team seem to think.

Sorry, a good leader makes a difference to the team. He leads by example and maybe score some goals when we need it the most (Boston series or the rest of the goaless series we have been through?)

No knock on the Sedins, but he shouldn't be compared to Crosby. Crosby did carry his team to the Stanley Cup.

Archived