The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

57 minutes ago, nzan said:

Agreed.

I'm so excited for Virt and I think he'll be a highly productive, wrecking-ball of a power forward.

I can't realistically expect that he'll be as good as Bert though. That short time that he was at the top of his game...there weren't many players ever as exciting as that...

Bert, like many power forwards, didn't start coming into his own until he was 25 or 26.

Jake just turned 20, so if he does the right things in terms of training and taking care of himself over the next two or three years, I can certainly see him become Bert 2. The only thing he doesn't have right now that Bert had at 25 was pure strength and the ability to fend off a checker with one arm while driving to the net.

37 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Six million bucks sure ain't what it used to be..If they remade the show,they would definitely have to change the title.

The Vancouver Canucks joined the NHL in 1970, paying an expansion fee of $6 million. 4 years later Steve Austin, aka The Six Million Dollar Man, was "rebuilt" and reborn...

The Las Vegas _________ joined the NHL in 2016, paying an expansion fee of $500 million.  Steve Austin's body parts would definitely be worth a lot more in today's medical laboratories...

On 8/31/2016 at 0:49 AM, Harvey Spector said:

Did you guys actually watch the Sedins play at age 20?  It looked they were skating in quick sand. And they were pretty much knocked off the puck on every shift. And they were 2nd and 3rd overall picks. They were 3rd liners. Jake is MUCH bigger than both of them and skates like the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if he's shows up to camp at 225 pounds. He's gonna be a beast. Forget the cardio. It's not like he's gonna play 20 minutes a night. I don't recall him being winded or benched due to his conditioning. 

If he's on the third line I want him hitting everything in sight and going to the front of the net and getting dirty. That has to be his game. He has to turn into a power forward. That's what we need. Bertuzzi was 240 pounds. And could skate like the wind. These guys are a different breed then the Sedins who rely on their cardio due to their lack of quick feet.  I want Jake running everything in sight and I want him to develop his game on the third line with no pressure. 12 minutes a night of hard hitting, in your face, screening the goalie and chasing the loose pucks is what I wanna see. 

Yeah, Jake, like Bert, is gifted with physical abilities and naturally thick body and so he probably doesn't need Sedins' level of fitness and conditioning to have some success in the NHL... Having said that, if Jake can reach Sedins conditioning and fitness level, he would dominate.

The thing is, Jake doesn't quite have Bert's hands nor can he read plays and develop plays like Sedins... He's got an elite shot and skating abilities... both of which requires him to learn how to use his energy efficiently. In my opinion, Jake will be a great third liner, the one that you describe in your post, even without top level conditioning and fitness. But if he wants to be an elite player, he needs to learn to use his energy efficiently. Quick burst of energy to surprise a defender and cause a turnover for example... Or to break away from defenders. 

22 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah, Jake, like Bert, is gifted with physical abilities and naturally thick body and so he probably doesn't need Sedins' level of fitness and conditioning to have some success in the NHL... Having said that, if Jake can reach Sedins conditioning and fitness level, he would dominate.

The thing is, Jake doesn't quite have Bert's hands nor can he read plays and develop plays like Sedins... He's got an elite shot and skating abilities... both of which requires him to learn how to use his energy efficiently. In my opinion, Jake will be a great third liner, the one that you describe in your post, even without top level conditioning and fitness. But if he wants to be an elite player, he needs to learn to use his energy efficiently. Quick burst of energy to surprise a defender and cause a turnover for example... Or to break away from defenders. 

wow low expectations there

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Will be nice to see Gudbranson poseing for a pic like that in the blue green and white,.  a grin that is pure Valhalla.

Heard Tryamkin is apparently in great shape too, also heard Pedan was training in Vancouver this Summer... We could have quite a good clan this fall.

Looking forward to it.

Hutton Gudbranson

Pedan Tryamkin

Ya come at us beotches...come to our crease

39 minutes ago, khay said:

I think he has better scoring hands than Bert, but bert could certainly Dangle. Wait and see what Virt can do with a real set up man. The kid can snipe just needs to have someone feed him in the right spots and for him to get to the right spots. Alot to do and learn still.

You realize you are comparing a Bert 'we remember' as his prime vs the Bert who struggled mightily with the isles and a few years with us.

Virt had a very good first year, he did not struggle, so his trajectory (so far) is actually better than #44

Edited by Nuckles80

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I don't know how people can actually sit here and say he didn't struggle or "he looked good".  

I'm in the minority here but I think he is a bit of an oaf.  I think people are expecting way to much.  I hope I am wrong 

LMAO!!!!

1. PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I SAID HE DIDN'T STRUGGLE?

2. I ALLUDED TO THE FACT THAT HE CERTAINLY DIDN'T STRUGGLE THE WAY BERT DID THAT CAUSED HIM TO BE TRADED TO US, AND AS HE (Bert) DID IN HIS FIRST SEASON with the Isles + AS HE DID HERE FOR A FEW YEARS (and this was after he'd been in the league for 4 years a well!!!)

3. He's  (Virt)19 you think he's Gretz? LMAO!!!!! He's just going to come in to the NHL vs men and not struggle a bit? LOL

4. He played with who? 4th line grinders, ya gonna light up the score board with those guys and 8 mins a game

Try to use your brain a bit k? that's what its there for....Give him a few years buddy before you start saying 'oaf' lol

I bet Mcdavid doesn't think he's an oaf nor do the other guys he steam rolled at NINETEEN years old vs MEN!!! LOL

Henrik Sedin 21 years old as a rookie 29 pts in 82games = .35 ppg

Virtanen 19 years old as a rookie 13 pts in 55 games with grinders = .24 ppg and other intangibles (hitting and speed)

So Jake is scoring at 67% of the pace of Henrik in their respective first years, Henrik was 1.5 years older and playing with skilled players (at least one in his brother who will be a hall of famer), Virt got Prust, Dorsett, and plug in a crap center Vey or whomever was the center do jour on the 4th line.

Not saying Jake will score at 67% of Henrik's pace over his career but simply making a point on how absurd your view is, to judge a player in his first year at 19.

85% of Nucks fans were screaming about the twins being 'sisters for 4 years' guess what - they are going to the Hall of Fame

= Nucks fans who make such comments early in a players career simply don't know JACK

Edited by Nuckles80

9 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

LMAO!!!!

1. PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I SAID HE DIDN'T STRUGGLE?

2. I ALLUDED TO THE FACT THAT HE CERTAINLY DIDN'T STRUGGLE THE WAY BERT DID THAT CAUSED HIM TO BE TRADED TO US, AND AS HE (Bert) DID IN HIS FIRST SEASON with the Isles + AS HE DID HERE FOR A FEW YEARS (and this was after he'd been in the league for 4 years a well!!!)

3. He's  (Virt)19 you think he's Gretz? LMAO!!!!! He's just going to come in to the NHL vs men and not struggle a bit? LOL

4. He played with who? 4th line grinders, ya gonna light up the score board with those guys and 8 mins a game

Try to use your brain a bit k? that's what its there for....Give him a few years buddy before you start saying 'oaf' lol

I bet Mcdavid doesn't think he's an oaf nor do the other guys he steam rolled at NINETEEN years old vs MEN!!! LOL

Henrik Sedin 21 years old as a rookie 29 pts in 82games = .35 ppg

Virtanen 19 years old as a rookie 13 pts in 55 games with grinders = .24 ppg and other intangibles (hitting and speed)

So Jake is scoring at 67% of the pace of Henrik in their respective first years, Henrik was 1.5 years older and playing with skilled players (at least one in his brother who will be a hall of famer), Virt got Prust, Dorsett, and plug in a crap center Vey or whomever was the center do jour on the 4th line.

Not saying Jake will score at 67% of Henrik's pace over his career but simply making a point on how absurd your view is, to judge a player in his first year at 19.

85% of Nucks fans were screaming about the twins being 'sisters for 4 years' guess what - they are going to the Hall of Fame

= Nucks fans who make such comments early in a players career simply don't know JACK

Don't let it get to you, there is just an over abundance of negative Nancy's on here.  I prefer to be a glass half full kinda fan.. I can see the realities, but why just focus on the negative all the time?  Gets old reading it but don't worry they are the minority. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, cabinessence said:

To take on much smaller opponents?

If they are "punks" like Hendricks and Bobby Farnham, ..Yes..  size does not matter when your a puke who drills players to injure them purposely.

Im hopeful that George Parros will bring his knowledge and experiences of the game to expose and end the trend and era of the "punk".

The league is ridding itself of the "goon", but has overlooked the role of the "punk".. perhaps even more dangerous to player safety.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 3