The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How does our prospect cupboard look now?

250Integra

Benning is all about the abilities and determination to define prospective talent so this team has a better than average chance going forward.

The past has been a damp,dark west coast winter in the drafting department.

I am thinking California sunshine with Benning at the helm.

Quit overrating our prospects. There is nobody in the system that has superstar potential w/ the exception of Shinkaruk and MAYBE, MAYBE Horvat.

How does Shink have it over Horvat?

Anyways its a good solid crop, nothing over the moon but I expect over half of them will be NHL regulars eventually.

That's a very average group of talent compared to others it'll take some more years of good drafting to not be a middle of the pack team

There is some nice " above average " players in that there cupboard.

I wouldnt underrate the talent level, a lot of other teams have similiar quality or less.

Some teams like Detroit have a lot of raw / average prospects but the time they take developing them and molding them into NHLers really pays off. Id like to see Vancouver take some of these " average " types and turn them into NHLers.

It's not always what they look on paper (especially to the squint eyed cdc brigade) but how they are coached and developed from the farm up to Willie in the NHL.

We are picking well.

When you look at Boston for example, how many top 10 draft picks have they got? One, Hamilton 9th. Most are around the 50+ mark. Iginla who they didn't even draft was 11th.

Krejcy-63rd, Boychuck-61st, Bergeron-45th, Campbell-67th, Kelly-94th, Lucic-50th, Marchand-71st, McQuaid-55th, Rask-21st, Savard-91st, Seidenberg-172nd, Soderburg-49th, Chara-56th

These are the guys who along with Chicago and LA have dominated the Stanley Cup.

So stop bleating about the numbers and think more about who is picking them and how they will be coached.

Honestly if we tank this year... it would be awesome.

Restocking the shelves again next year.

This is how Oilers and Flames fans must feel.

Only they have been feeling it for close to a decade. This is our first year and already things are looking up.

Guest Dasein

Good depth but there's no top end talent, which is why Benning wanted to move up to get Reinhart/Ekblad.

Now that we have some depth, we can use it to make a push to move up to get a top end talent perhaps next year.

Really depends on McCann - if he can find the next level in his offensive game, then he has the potential to be a 1C - not a franchise 1C but one you can win with as long as you have a solid 2C like Horvat.

The emphasis shouldn't be on "filling the cupboard" it should be on getting top end talent.

Top 6 Potential:

Shinkurak

Horvat

Virtanen

Jensen

Bottom 6 Potential:

McCann

Cassels
Gaunce

Fox

Corrado (bottom 4)

Likely to play less than 100 NHL games combined:
Subban
Cederholm

High Risk to not play at all:

Demko

Tryamkin

Could have, or rather should have been better. If they had taken ehlers and barbachev it would have looked much much much better. A very ho-hum draft. The new management had a once in generation chance to drastically improve the team, and they totally messed it up ... Only time will tell, but I am extremely disappointed right now

Could have, or rather should have been better. If they had taken ehlers and barbachev it would have looked much much much better. A very ho-hum draft. The new management had a once in generation chance to drastically improve the team, and they totally messed it up ... Only time will tell, but I am extremely disappointed right now

Leafs are always looking for new fans.

Its Bennings first draft and he had a month to really get'er done. He has already done better than Gillis in his first draft year.

Dealing away a diva and a turnstile for many great parts....

Drafting 3 great NHL futures....yes Demko will make it.

trading 2 mid round pics for players that are in the show and on the cusp of contributing.

Please explain how you figure he coulda done differe t. Besides your love fest for Ehlers and Barbashev that 32 other teams passed on.....

The emphasis shouldn't be on "filling the cupboard" it should be on getting top end talent.

Top 6 Potential:

Shinkurak

Horvat

Virtanen

Jensen

Bottom 6 Potential:

McCann

Cassels

Gaunce

Fox

Corrado (bottom 4)

Subban

Cederholm

Demko

Tryamkin

Cederholm will be a regular NHL'er in a couple years

Top 6 Potential:

Shinkurak

Horvat

Virtanen

Jensen

Bottom 6 Potential:

McCann

Cassels

Gaunce

Fox

Corrado (bottom 4)

Subban

Cederholm

Demko

Tryamkin

Benning mentioned that he thinks we got two future top 6 players in the first round. I don't think Gaunce and Cassels have shown yet where they can play in the NHL but definitely middle 6 players to be so it's an iffy on that one.

Subban and Cederholm are looking really nice, Cederholm can find a spot on our roster as a defensive defenceman and Subban looks like he can be a low pairing OFD who can be on the PP and if he develops a better solid defensive game then I bet he'll find a spot aswell. I don't have any doubt in my mind that they won't play atleast 200 NHL games.

Demko is the best goaltender in the draft and with scouts saying he's a #1 goalie in the NHL I wouldn't think it would be a high risk with that much praise.

When all you have are a few boxes of Cheerios, adding a single can of caviar isn't the priority -- need to stock up on meat and potatoes, then get some gravy and more exotic dishes. He's done a massive restocking in only a couple days, and more changes are coming shortly.

Subban and Cederholm are looking really nice, Cederholm can find a spot on our roster as a defensive defenceman and Subban looks like he can be a low pairing OFD who can be on the PP and if he develops a better solid defensive game then I bet he'll find a spot aswell. I don't have any doubt in my mind that they won't play atleast 200 NHL games.

Sutton had a breakout year and would be close to challenging for a spot now, but he has two years of college left. At his current rate he will likely step right in, the same time the contracts of Hamhuis and Bieksa end, btw.

Ben Hutton, D, Maine Black Bears (Hockey East)

Drafted 5th round, 147th overall, 2012

Few Canuck prospects made the kind of strides that Ben Hutton did this season. No hint of the “sophomore slump” here, Hutton turned the cliché on its ear with a breakout season. He and teammate Devin Shore (DAL) were both named to the Hockey East First Team in March. Hutton was also recently awarded the Bob Monahan Award, given annually to the top defenseman in New England. He set a school record for goals by a defenseman (15), and became the first defenseman in Maine history to lead the team in goals scored. His torrid power-play production led all defensemen in the nation with nine markers, and was good for sixth in the nation amongst defensemen in points per game (0.83).

Although many think of offense first and foremost when talking about Hutton Maine coaches lauded his defensive acumen and pointed out that he and Brice O’Connor played most nights against the other team’s best players. Particularly on the penalty kill and during other defensive situations, Hutton’s importance was under-appreciated. Hutton’s great stick work and natural feel for the game were cited as reasons for his defensive success. He will be back with the Black Bears for the 2014-15 season, where they hope to retain their success on home ice, while improving upon their poor road record.

Benning mentioned that he thinks we got two future top 6 players in the first round. I don't think Gaunce and Cassels have shown yet where they can play in the NHL but definitely middle 6 players to be so it's an iffy on that one.

Demko is the best goaltender in the draft and with scouts saying he's a #1 goalie in the NHL I wouldn't think it would be a high risk with that much praise.

In the last 30 years has there been a Dman under 5'10" to play over 100 games? Maybe there is a few. The point being that Subban is a long shot as a defenceman. Regardless of size, players drafted after the third round have a very small chance of playing multiple seasons in the NHL.

If I had to make a bet I would say Horvat, Shinkaruk and Jensen don't become top 6 players. Because the odds favour that.

Demko was the best rated goalie. But it doesn't matter. Goalies are very risky. I wouldn't waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on one unless I had no holes on my team and still probably not. About 10% of all goalies drafted start in a single NHL game. Demko has the best shot out of any goalie in the draft, but very risky.

Archived