The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mackenze Stewart | D/LW

Lui's Knob

Who hasn't done anything to deserve the God tier praise he's been getting.

Let's ease up a bit on the hype.

Tas simply stated that Benning's knowledge of scouting and player development far surpasses the other poster's layman fan opinion based on scoring stats. You call that attributing to Benning "God-tier" acumen, yet you then in your own opinion claim Benning "hasn't done anything" as if you yourself are somehow an authority on the matter.

Who hasn't done anything to deserve the God tier praise he's been getting.

Let's ease up a bit on the hype.

Tas simply stated that Benning's knowledge of scouting and player development far surpasses the other poster's layman fan opinion based on scoring stats. You call that attributing to Benning "God-tier" acumen, yet you then in your own opinion claim Benning "hasn't done anything" as if you yourself are somehow an authority on the matter.

pretty much this.

benning wasn't my first choice for gm, as i preferred paul fenton's track record, but his resume is certainly adequate and his scouting and development decisions are without question infinitely more informed and experienced than the worthless opinions of anyone on this website.

I saw that. Wow. Hard to believe. How can a kid with his numbers in the WHL to the AHL? I still can't see Stewart sticking with the team. If he is converted to the wing (as Benning says will happen) how does the displace other guys. Right now Jensen can't even get into the line-up and Gaunce was a healthy scratch earlier in the playoffs. Those guys are so far ahead of Stewart it is hard to even describe the difference. Is JB planning to guy Utica next year?

If Stewart is going to develop he needs playing time, and at least he could get that with the K-Wings in the ECHL.

Jensen for whatever reason has hit a brick wall in development. From his record in Utica, I would suspect Green sees something he is trying to change and Jensen is resistant to the change.

Someone on here said that maybe he would perform better in the NHL and maybe he would but it seems to me he needs to trust his coaches more and keep his head down. He is fast becoming a player who will just be bypassed by rising prospects if he is not careful.

I saw that. Wow. Hard to believe. How can a kid with his numbers in the WHL to the AHL? I still can't see Stewart sticking with the team. If he is converted to the wing (as Benning says will happen) how does the displace other guys. Right now Jensen can't even get into the line-up and Gaunce was a healthy scratch earlier in the playoffs. Those guys are so far ahead of Stewart it is hard to even describe the difference. Is JB planning to guy Utica next year?

If Stewart is going to develop he needs playing time, and at least he could get that with the K-Wings in the ECHL.

Ya its a bit puzzling to me as well, but in Jim Benning I believe!

pretty much this.

benning wasn't my first choice for gm, as i preferred paul fenton's track record, but his resume is certainly adequate and his scouting and development decisions are without question infinitely more informed and experienced than the worthless opinions of anyone on this website.

My fault, wasn't thinking straight . sorry about that :/

Wow, we signed him for 925k. JB and Scouts must really like what they see in this guy.

Source: http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1903

By comparison, we signed Subban for 755k.

Cassels is signed at 589k.

Granted, that hit only counts if he is actually playing in the NHL as opposed to the AHL, but they must really think he can respond to the carrot that they have put in front of him.

Wow, we signed him for 925k. JB and Scouts must really like what they see in this guy.

Source: http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1903

By comparison, we signed Subban for 755k.

Cassels is signed at 589k.

Granted, that hit only counts if he is actually playing in the NHL as opposed to the AHL, but they must really think he can respond to the carrot that they have put in front of him.

no we didn't...

Notes

Contract details are unknown, maximum allowable contract has been assumed until details are confirmed.

i feel like the career scout who drafted the kid out of nowhere has a better idea how to develop him than the know-nothing, nobody, internet stat-watcher.

If I say Jack Gordon made a bad trade when he traded Neely and the pick that turned out to be Glen Wesley for Barry Pedersen, is it a sufficient answer to say the career hockey man who made the trade has a better idea of value than I do?

This is a forum for people to express their opinions.

The team GM will have more knowlege of hockey than the people expressing their opinions. That doesn't mean the laypeople are wrong. Have Canuck general managers through the years always been right? Does it mean any opinion that the GM or coach made an error, or would be making an error, should not be expressed?

Is there now to be a minimum standard of knowledge required for posting on CDC? Whether or not JamesB is knowledgeable and whether or not one agrees with his opinions, he is certainly thoughtful and I enjoy reading his opinions.

imo a post that adds nothing to the conversation beyond that the GM knows more while denigrating the poster is worse than useless.

That's what the link says, unless they change / update it.

the link specifically says what i posted in a quote there. "Notes: Contract details are unknown, maximum allowable contract has been assumed until details are confirmed."

they have no clue what mackenze was signed for, so they put the maximum ELC until details are found out.

i feel like the career scout who drafted the kid out of nowhere has a better idea how to develop him than the know-nothing, nobody, internet stat-watcher.

No need to get worked up. And if we are not allowed to question the decisions of GMs what is the point of even participating in CDC? And my comment was primarily just expressing surprise.

I have often said positive things about Benning's scouting record. But at this stage it surprises me that the plan is for Stewart to play in Utica. Maybe Benning does see something that others have missed. (And don't forget, no other GM thought he was worth drafting in the first 6 rounds.) I hope it works out.

But, like I said, Gaunce and Jensen have both been healthy scratches in the playoffs and they look like much, much better players than Stewart.

Instead of just being insulting, how about providing some actual analysis? How often do players with Stewart's kind of record stick in the AHL their first year out of junior? It happens, but not often. Even Dane Fox could not stick in Utica last year, although he might make it next year. And if the battle for a spot is between Fox and Stewart, who is likely to win?

I still think he is a longshot to stick in Utica next year. My guess is that, like Fox this year, he starts out in Utica and then gets reassigned to the K-Wings.

He likes running guys over and is able to one-punch them to the ice -- sounds familiar (Virtanen, Pedan). Also seems willing to take a straight punch before delivering back, although none seem to phase him. Kinda like Bond punching Jaws.

I'd say Benning saw enough marshmallows and ragdolling this year that we won't recognize this team in a couple seasons.

Big kid can take a punch and dole em out too. I think his shot is pretty decent when he has time. I'm hoping he can be a more aggressive version of Peter Andersson.

Andersson is going back to Sweden next year, so that seems like a decent trade off. I know he is supposed to be a FWD now, but I think they will prefer him on D after a while... Hard to say though.

Archived