The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mackenze Stewart | D/LW

Lui's Knob

Wasn't he the guy that got one punched himself at the prospects game last year by a Winnipeg prospect? One punching kids in junior is different than the AHL, that league is full of goons that can one punch as well. Pedan found out the hard way and is still suffering because of it.

doooesnt look to be suffering at all. neither is tate from the huge hit from virtanen worry about what your going to do to provide a solution rather than poiint out the intangiable obvious

WD had really great things to say about his attitude on the radio today.

Not sure if this is a re-post:

The Canadian Press’ Monte Stewart wrote a profile of Stewart back in October of the defenceman, who was born deaf.

In addition to his stay-at-home defensive qualities, Stewart’s determination to overcome his childhood deafness factored into the Canucks’ decision.

“It’s quite a story of perseverance,” said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He’s been raised by his mom, so his mom’s worked hard to support him throughout his hockey career. He gets through adversity.”

Benning said there’s a good chance the Canucks will sign Stewart, who is in his second season with Prince Albert, if he improves as expected.

“We like his physical skill set,” said Benning. “He’s a big kid. He can skate. He plays a physical, stay-at-home game. He can make a first pass with the puck. There are some things he needs to learn in his game. He needs to be consistent.”

Stewart has 80 per cent hearing capability after undergoing multiple operations to correct a “mechanical” problem.

link

If I say Jack Gordon made a bad trade when he traded Neely and the pick that turned out to be Glen Wesley for Barry Pedersen, is it a sufficient answer to say the career hockey man who made the trade has a better idea of value than I do?

This is a forum for people to express their opinions.

The team GM will have more knowlege of hockey than the people expressing their opinions. That doesn't mean the laypeople are wrong. Have Canuck general managers through the years always been right? Does it mean any opinion that the GM or coach made an error, or would be making an error, should not be expressed?

Is there now to be a minimum standard of knowledge required for posting on CDC? Whether or not JamesB is knowledgeable and whether or not one agrees with his opinions, he is certainly thoughtful and I enjoy reading his opinions.

imo a post that adds nothing to the conversation beyond that the GM knows more while denigrating the poster is worse than useless.

well said. I hate people who complain that people post opinions in this website... What exactly is the point then? It's so dumb. I don't even know what your original opinion was on the matter that the dude got all touchy, but well said.

That is all. Please, continue on with your day

well said. I hate people who complain that people post opinions in this website... What exactly is the point then? It's so dumb. I don't even know what your original opinion was on the matter that the dude got all touchy, but well said.

That is all. Please, continue on with your day

Thanks.

btw, it wasn't actually one of my posts tas had responded to.

I'm not sure if this question's been asked and answered already somewhere in the thread, but does anyone know how big Stewart actually is now?

I know he's listed at 6'3" and 216 lbs on the 2015 Development Camp roster, but I also know that some of the player details listed on that document appear to be out of date.

On the official website, he's listed at 6'3" and a whopping 240 lbs: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8478113

And on the WHL website, he's 6'4" and 216 lbs: http://www.whl.ca/roster/bio/182757

Hockeyfights.com has him at 6'3" and 238 lbs: http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/19692

Elite Prospects has him at 6'3" and 216 lbs: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=62280

Hockey's Future lists him at 6'5" and 237 lbs: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mackenze-stewart/

And HockeyDB lists Stewart at 6'4" and 216 lbs: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160230

I could go on and list/link more figures, but you get the idea. For the most part, the sites mostly agree that Stewart is somewhere between 6'3" and 6'4" (with one site listing 6'5") but they disagree significantly on his weight.

For those who attended the recent camp: which figures seem to be the most accurate for Stewart?

One suspicion I have is that Stewart might have shed some "baby fat" over the past couple years. Draftsite had him at 6'3" and 240 lbs before the draft, so maybe he's gotten a little taller (assuming he's now closer to 6'4" or 6'5") and also gotten significantly leaner (which wouldn't be a bad thing at his age). If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart bulks back up to around 240 lbs (or possibly more) by the time he's 25, through replacing the lost "baby fat" with increased muscle mass. Of course, that's assuming he makes it as a professional player (still a significant longshot). But given the strength and conditioning coaching available to the pros and the expectations clubs place on their player's offseason training programs, it's very likely he's going to get bigger and stronger every year he remains Canucks property. And based on the recent videos from camp, he appears to still have a lot of room left on his frame.

I suppose in a way it doesn't matter all that much because Stewart is obviously pretty huge and will undoubtedly be a physical force if he somehow manages to develop and play well enough to eke out a career in professional hockey.

That said, there is a significant difference between a 6'3" 220ish winger and a 6'5" 250ish winger (especially if they can both skate), and one of them strikes just a little more fear in the hearts of his opponents (although both can be quite scary).

I can't believe the improvement he has made over one season. He was a force on the ice and scoring too. One of the most noticeable players on ice. Really looking forward to following him this year

Apparently Benning knows what he is doing and is making me eat some crow for sure.

Will be interesting to see how he does in Utica. Score some beauties during the camp reel the Canucks have been puting together. His akward release combined with the heavyness of his shot is bound to fool a couple of goalies.

I think he's only played 7 years of organized hockey, maybe 8, so his development curve is still pretty steep. It's hard to say what the ceiling is for a player like that. Look at that slack jawed half a Bigfoot, Pat Maroon, he turned 26 during his first full season in the NHL and we just watched him play on the top line in the Conference Finals.

Archived