The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL.com Article] Horvat, Gaunce trim down with hopes to make Canucks roster

4th line minutes is not good. That's about 5-10 minutes of ice-time if we're going to play him, play him 3rd line minutes. If he's the centre getting the least amount of ice-time he will not become anything more than a bottom 6 centre.

Get him to junior, let him hit around 90-100 points, Domi hit 93 points. This guy's offensive isn't where it should be, let him get the 9 games so he can see his offensive game isn't there yet. Then send him down, get him some mental goals (should be 90-100 points in a full OHL season).

Max Domi might be in London again and he was drafted just 3 spots below Horvat, Nurse is going down too. It isn't a big deal.

He's not going to be stuck on the 4th line all season. Line-ups are constantly changing throughout a season and in a game.

Hodgson played on the 4th line his first year, then he moved up to the 3rd the next year. Horvat is better able to handle bottom line minutes than Hodgson was so he should be able to contribute and grow into a bigger role.

If Edmonton drafted him he would have played 2C last season in the NHL. Just be thankful for our depth that we can start him out in a limited role until he gets used to the league.

He's not going to be stuck on the 4th line all season. Line-ups are constantly changing throughout a season and in a game.

Hodgson played on the 4th line his first year, then he moved up to the 3rd the next year. Horvat is better able to handle bottom line minutes than Hodgson was so he should be able to contribute and grow into a bigger role.

If Edmonton drafted him he would have played 2C last season in the NHL. Just be thankful for our depth that we can start him out in a limited role until he gets used to the league.

He's going to be there majority of the time if he isn't then well he isn't being used as a 4th liner which kills the point.

Horvat isn't going to learn how to be dynamic offensively, he's a puck pursuit player, gritty, goes to the dirty areas and that's great but he needs to learn to become a offensive threat. He isn't an offensive threat yet and I don't think he'll learn how to become one in the NHL where he won't be able to learn in games because these guys will check him everytime. He needs to slowly dominate every level then come to the NHL a top 6 ready player. He can just jump in, couple growing pains but he's ready to go because the AHL defence isn't a very big downgrade from the NHL.

Yes, I think he should play a little bit in the AHL than transition to the NHL. We'll have the same top 9 next year if no one gets traded anyways because the 9 forwards will still be under contract.

I think we have 2-3 years before Sedins need to become secondary scorers, let's use those 2-3 years to get Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk and all our prospects ready for top 6 minutes (hoping they go well).

That implies you've mastered the 12th grade material.

Which Horvat hasn't.

Anyways, the good thing is, Benning's said that if he's ready and beats out a veteran in camp, he'll move a player to keep Horvat or any other prospect up with the Canucks. If he's not ready, then that means there's still more for Bo to learn in the OHL. He has yet to dominate that league and if he's not ready yet, then there's still a lot he can learn.

Bo hasn't proven anything so far that indicates that he is too good for the OHL. So if he's not ready, OHL is still a place where Bo can develop and work on his game.

Bo has to beat out the depth that Benning has acquired, which Monahan didn't have to do. But if he has a camp like Monahan's, he probably does have a good chance of sticking around - I wouldn't mind that at all.

As long as Bo is a top 9 player for us in camp, I'm happy with him sticking with the team. But if he can't beat the veterans out, then we send him down. It's up to him, really.

It'd be great if he can make the jump this year, but I'm not expecting it out of him.

Totally agree. Horvat played a pretty solid d-game at WJ but did not dominate. He did have some good shifts with Reinhart which makes me curious how he will perform in Camp with NHL regulars. Wanting a

kid to make the club just to see a new young face is ridiculous. I would hesitate bringing him to the NHL even if he does have a good camp. Canucks have lots of new players to evaluate thru a season anyway. I am confident that JB and WD will make the right call.

He's going to be there majority of the time if he isn't then well he isn't being used as a 4th liner which kills the point.

Horvat isn't going to learn how to be dynamic offensively, he's a puck pursuit player, gritty, goes to the dirty areas and that's great but he needs to learn to become a offensive threat. He isn't an offensive threat yet and I don't think he'll learn how to become one in the NHL where he won't be able to learn in games because these guys will check him everytime. He needs to slowly dominate every level then come to the NHL a top 6 ready player. He can just jump in, couple growing pains but he's ready to go because the AHL defence isn't a very big downgrade from the NHL.

Yes, I think he should play a little bit in the AHL than transition to the NHL. We'll have the same top 9 next year if no one gets traded anyways because the 9 forwards will still be under contract.

I think we have 2-3 years before Sedins need to become secondary scorers, let's use those 2-3 years to get Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk and all our prospects ready for top 6 minutes (hoping they go well).

Another voice of reason! I feel sorry for these young guys. The PR surrounding them is a lot of BS in many cases. Hopefully they do not log on to CDC.

Wouldn't want to rush him, but, hey, if he makes the team and deserves it more power to him! Pretty pumped for training camp! Going to be a fun year.

Gaunce or Horvat? Or both?

I really hope Horvat can crack the roster. Other then working on his foot speed not really sure if the OHL would benefit him. He's done pretty much everything.

Gaunce has the benefit of possibly being a call up if we catch the injury bug or if he really improves over the course of the season.

Vey was point-per-game in the AHL last year.

Matthias scored quite a bit on a horrible couple of teams last season as a 3rd/4th liner

Richardson is still good for 5-10 goals as a 4th line center

With Henrik and Bonino obviously filling out our top-2 center spots, and 3 very good bottom-6 centers in the mix, I don't see any room for Horvat until Richardson's contract expires next year and we decide what to do with Vey and Richardson depending on their seasons in 2014-2015.

That being said Matthias and Vey can play the wing, so if we really wanted to squeeze them all in, we could see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Horvat - Vey

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

To be honest I'd rather see Shinkaruk get a shot on the 3rd line wing. He was the last player cut from camp last season, is a winger so has less defensive responsibilities and has an NHL-ready shot and speed that embarassed quite a few NHLers in pre-season.

I really don't think any young player, even including Jensen or Corrado should start the year on the Canucks. They need to really earn it.

Only terrible teams force guys in and rush their development who are desperate for young players. All the good farm systems like Detroit and L.A. etc let their young players cook in the minors and don't just hand spots over to them without them earning the opportunity.

If any of the young players are truly standing out and looking comfortable in pre-season then they should get the 9 game look at the beginning of the year.

Again that is only if they are really lighting it up and it is obvious they are ready for the next level. This makes for healthy competition on the farm team whereas last year the only option the Canucks had to call-up was Jensen at forward. This year they will have him along with Shinkaruk, Guance, Fox, and Grenier.

This will create depth and foster a healthy culture of competition where young guys push each other for call-ups and put pressure on the veteran guys on the big club to play up to their standards.

This creates the push from the bottom the Canucks have been preaching and so badly have needed and now finally may have.

Besides, not many 19 year or even 20 year olds can make the jump without at the very least having some time spent playing in the minors.

Linden Vey on the other hand is the only one ready to stick for the whole year because of the seasoning he has already gotten in the minors.

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Horvat - Vey

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

FYI Kassian, Higgins, Hansen and Matthias are all on their wrong wings and Burrows gest 3rd line over Hansen any day IMO.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows/Higgins, Bonino, Kassian

Burrows/Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen/Dorsett

Horvat is seriously in tough to make the team. Benning will have to have a serious comfort level to keep hm around. This Ben Kuzma article spells it out.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Kuzma+knows+Canucks+junior+with+video/10009237/story.html

If we keep him on the roster past the point of our eligibility to send him back to the OHL, and he starts to wane, then he will have to sit as a scratch or play protected minutes.

I am not holding my breath on Bo, I suspect he is going back to the O.

Posted this in another thread that was closed

When you look at the line i would say that there are to many veterans. But that being said the Canucks need an other goal scorer to be concidered a real contender in the Pacific Divison (not a wild card spot),and they could also use a shut down centre that can play the PK because IMO Vey, Bonino, and Hank, are not shut down centres.

Horvat is seriously in tough to make the team. Benning will have to have a serious comfort level to keep hm around. This Ben Kuzma article spells it out.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Kuzma+knows+Canucks+junior+with+video/10009237/story.html

If we keep him on the roster past the point of our eligibility to send him back to the OHL, and he starts to wane, then he will have to sit as a scratch or play protected minutes.

I am not holding my breath on Bo, I suspect he is going back to the O.

I'm pretty sure we could send him back at any point in the season. only thing is if he exceeds 9 games played then this year would count against his ELC.

Guest Dasein

How are teams like Chicago able to sneak under 20 year olds into their roster while ours is too solid for that kind of thing?

Because their U20s were ready and ours were not.

It's not that we're too solid, but our U20s are not solid enough.

I'm pretty sure we could send him back at any point in the season. only thing is if he exceeds 9 games played then this year would count against his ELC.

We absolutely can, you're right. Buffalo did it with Grigorenko last year after he'd played 18 NHL games that season (and 25 games in the lockout season). As you also stated, all the 9/10 game cut off has to do is whether or not the ELC slides that season.

How are teams like Chicago able to sneak under 20 year olds into their roster while ours is too solid for that kind of thing?

Just curious, What under 20 year old(s) are you talking about, I don't see one on Chicago's roster?

Archived