The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2010 Chicago Draft Pick to be Free Agent?

Seeker1

Kevin Hayes doesn't appear likely to sign with the Blackhawks.

The 6' 3" Kevin Hayes, forward, first round, No. 24 overall: Hayes has progressed over the past four years at Boston College, but that likely won't benefit the Blackhawks. After being a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award this past season, he appears set to turn down the Blackhawks' offer and opt to become an unrestricted free agent in August.

Canucks have any interest in him? Colorado apparently is very interested in him.

He can replace Hansen on the third line.

That would be a perfect fit. He's leaving Chitown cause he won't be playing anytime soon with their deep pool of prospects and depth on the roster. He wants to go where he can play and he's done his dues playing 4 years in college and is now 22 years old. Deserves to get the chance to finally play at the NHL level but there a ton of teams after him as well.

...JB says he saw Demko play 10 times at Boston College this past season..also means he saw Hayes play 10 times as well. Just saying..

Rumor is he likes Florida and Calgary.

Philadelphia really wants him though.

Wouldn't read too much into the Calgary/Florida thing. Hi Brother plays in Florida and his two linemates from BC are in the Flames system.

Chances are those just ideas tossed out without any actual sources.

That would be a perfect fit. He's leaving Chitown cause he won't be playing anytime soon with their deep pool of prospects and depth on the roster. He wants to go where he can play and he's done his dues playing 4 years in college and is now 22 years old. Deserves to get the chance to finally play at the NHL level but there a ton of teams after him as well.

...JB says he saw Demko play 10 times at Boston College this past season..also means he saw Hayes play 10 times as well. Just saying..

There's a lot of people that don't think he's NHL ready, he had 1 decent year in college. I think he will spend some time in the AHL before making it to the show. Playing 4 years of college isn't paying your dues and earning a spot on an NHL roster. Lots of guys play 3-4 years of junior and AHL and still don't make the NHL. Time will tell just how good Hayes is or is not. For any other team he may be worth a chance, but my guess is Calgary or Florida signs him.

Wouldn't read too much into the Calgary/Florida thing. Hi Brother plays in Florida and his two linemates from BC are in the Flames system.

Chances are those just ideas tossed out without any actual sources.

Those are pretty good reasons to pick the Flames or Panthers, plus both teams are pretty weak and he could make the team quicker than with most other clubs.

Yeah we should definitely try to land this guy, but then again so will every other team so im not expecting us to.

Linden states the Canucks are done on the free agent market so I wouldn't expect Vancouver to sign him. Hayes would be a good fit in Vancouver but I don't see it happening.

Getting him onboard would be sooo Gillis.

Not sure if Benning wants to go that route.

Why exactly would it be a Gillis move?

I think just about every GM would want a free prospect but Hayes will only be interested in teams which have weak depth so he will have an easier time making the NHL.

Archived