The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

confessions

Rate this topic

On 2/9/2020 at 1:15 PM, diesel_3 said:

No, probably not. I never actually go through with these things, i'm a dreamer, not a doer.

I woke up this morning and immediately thought 'Imagine a dog got loose, or worse, killed under my watch' I know you can get liability insurance and whatnot, but it is stuff like that I know I wouldn't be able to live with.

I get that. I worry about the "what ifs", too. Sometimes, I wish I worried less lol 

Confession:

I appear very sympathetic and empathic to people. This is required for my job. They love to share their deepest and darkest secrets with me. The truth is that the more they share with me the more I don't give a xxxx inside. It is my experience that most of the problems people suffer from are their own fault. It is pathetic how they refuse to confront the problem, heed good advice, and make their life better. This is getting so bad it is even affecting my political views. 

10 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm not having kids, so I don't fit in with the 'new parent' group, so i've lost some friends there, because once they all start having kids at the same time, it just becomes play dates, sharing new parenting inspirational memes on facebook, and selling essential oils or skin care products.

LOL

That's oddly specific. 

On 2/13/2020 at 8:48 AM, diesel_3 said:

I'm the same way with the Comox Valley.

It's weird here. People constantly complain about 'outsiders' for which they honestly believe ALL of the cities problems with theft, vandalism, and 'traffic' as everyone from the mainland moving to their once prized secret location of Vancouver Island!

It is actually quite annoying. I always just feel like a guest here. I have friends here, but not 'real' friends. The type of friends who text to ask if I want to go golfing 15 minutes before a tee-off time because their 4th bailed last minute. Friends who talk about their old highschool days because they are all still buddies and never actually left, but have also never asked me anything personal about my life nor do they really know me.

I've become the guy who always says no and finds an excuse. Everything is the same, meet at the same 1 or 2 peoples houses, they all want to get super drunk and talk about the same boring crap. Now, most of us are getting to the age where it seems like 1 couple has a kid and they all start getting pregnant and having kids. I'm not having kids, so I don't fit in with the 'new parent' group, so i've lost some friends there, because once they all start having kids at the same time, it just becomes play dates, sharing new parenting inspirational memes on facebook, and selling essential oils or skin care products.

It's so beautiful to live here, but the people are a little too territorial? or proud? not sure of the word, almost condescending because they grew up here and were here 'first'....except not really, because white.

Thursday morning coffee confessions rant, over.

Sorry for quoting your post with this follow up, @Psylocke hahaha!

LOL no worries!

It's funny you say that because I've actually come to know the Comox Valley (Courtenay mainly) area a little bit over the last couple years, and I have heard people saying that there's been an influx of people from other places over the last few years. But in my experience (although limited), people have been nothing but welcoming to me. I've actually been toying with the idea of moving there lately. 

As for making friends, I think it's like that everywhere. It gets harder and harder to make friends as we age and especially so when you move somewhere where you don't know anyone. And I hear ya on the kids thing. I don't have kids nor want to, but a lot of my friends are parents. Seems like the only parties I go to now are kids' birthday parties LOL

• Cheers 1
On 2/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, riffraff said:

Made it to about half way through the fourth song on the new Tame Impala album.

Lame Impala....

boring maroon 5-esque background noise.

Sucks when that happens.

I had a similar experience with the band Of Montreal.  Absolutely loved some of their albums so bought, without previewing the album, Skeletal Lamping and couldn't even finish it.  Like movies, I will always see/hear something through to the end, but this one I just couldn't.

• Huggy Bear 1
47 minutes ago, Qwags said:

I'm at a point where I need to make a crucial decision regarding my future, yet find myself almost afraid to do so. 

Do it, man.

I wasted a lot of years thinking what I was doing what 'right' *Narrator* It wasn't.

Mid 30's, back in school, working part-time. You feel slightly like Benjamin Button aging backwards, but there is a weird feeling of satisfaction that I now have total control of what my future holds (from a career standpoint). Nobody puts baby in a corner.

Arrested Development + 2 movie references in 1 post. Today is going to be a good day.

Wait a second, this isn't the post when you're high thread --------------->

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Qwags said:

I'm at a point where I need to make a crucial decision regarding my future, yet find myself almost afraid to do so. 

You have 3 options:

1) The right choice

2) The wrong choice

3) No choice

The only bad choice is #3. #1 is what you want. #2 leads to growth and discovery, which will push you towards more correct choices in the future.

I have to make a bunch of pretty big decisions in the near future, and I'm scared, but also excited.

You can do this!!!! :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1