The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler accuses Van. media of making up stories, "Throwing people under the bus"

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/17/kesler-accuses-vancouver-media-of-making-up-stories-throwing-people-under-the-bus/

On the eve of his first training camp as an Anaheim Duck, Ryan Kesler had some parting shots for the scribes that used to cover him in Vancouver.

From the OC Register:

One big issue with Kesler was the perception that he wasnt the ideal guy to be around when the Canucks went south last season. The reported trade demand that came out of the Sochi Olympics didnt help.

Can he be moody during a losing streak? Sure. Is he a bad teammate? Hardly, he insists.

I dont buy that Im not a good teammate, he said. You can ask any of my teammates. I know when I was traded, if I was such a bad teammate, 95 percent of the guys wouldnt have texted me (afterward).

Thats the problem with Vancouver. The media makes up a lot of stories that arent true. To be honest, I was really sick of certain media guys throwing people under the bus.

No matter how much my old teammates say it doesnt bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.

This isnt the first time Kesler has commented on the zealousness of Vancouvers media. While playing for the U.S. in Sochi, he addressed his heavy workload under John Tortorella and the attention his additional minutes received:

Given the Canucks struggles of late, Keslers ice time along with that of the Sedin twins has been an especially hot topic in the hockey-mad city.

I think I play maybe two minutes more per game, he said. I mean, its not that much more. My body feels great, and Im ready to get this going.

And all those people in Vancouver making a big deal out of it?

A lot of people in Vancouver make a lot of everything, he said. Its two minutes. Its two shifts. Its not that big a deal for me.

In case youre into circling dates on calendars, Keslers first game back in Vancouver will be on Nov. 20, when the Ducks take on the Canucks in a Thursday night affair.

Great job, Vancouver media (*cough cough* Botchford and others *cough*). As great as it is for players to come play in the best of hockey markets in Canada, it sure is a piss off with all the stupid media that follows them too. Always under the microscope and scrutinizing every move, I'm sure the players don't even know how to handle it and go forward. Surely Lu felt the same way, he went on a roller coaster ride with the dumb media.

Good on Kes for coming out, hopefully it'll knock some common sense into the media but knowing them, they probably won't change a bit. Fack you Vancouver media!

BREAKING NEWS: The Vancouver media is tough on its players!

... is this really news? We have known our city holds players on the edge of a knife for years. If a player shows up one night, they turn into Gods overnight, yet when they under-perform they are dragged through the mud as well.

This city is competitive and it is a very well known fact that if you want to enjoy the publicity in Vancouver you have to perform.

As for Kesler saying he wasn't a person that you want to be around when losing, he can say that he wasn't sour as much as he wants, but you could see it on his face every game when he felt his team wasn't playing up to his expectations. His teammates may have not felt he was being negative, but I sure felt it as a fan.

On top of that, considering how much these players make every year, if the worst part of their job is putting up with some defamation when they under-perform then I would consider them some of the luckiest people in the world.

He's a whiny biatch, plain and simple. When you make 5 MILLION dollars a year, the media harassment comes with the territory. If you can't handle it, then GTFO and go play soccer for the whitecaps where no one gives a crap.

Haven't seen such a whiny baby since Pavel Bure took his ball and left.

Pavel Bure was treated like garbage by management, he had a very good reason to want out of Vancouver.

BREAKING NEWS: The Vancouver media is tough on its players!

It's not about being "tough on its players."

An informed, professional, accountable media that is tough on it's players is entirely fair game and would be a welcomed change in Vancouver (although there are a few people who do qualify imo at present).

That's not what Kesler is referring to though. He's referring to a (bottomfeeding tabloid credibility) element in the Vancouver media that most of us have witnessed time and time again - so much so that it really goes withouth the necessity to name.

I don't like what Kesler did in the end or the way he serioulsy limited the team's interests, but GMJB produced a good result out of it, and I can't argue with a word Kesler has said here.

Should have traded him to the Habs or Leafs so he could see how bad it could get.

Vancouver only gets a B grade in that respect.

The flip side is having a local media who couldn't give two figs how well the team is doing. Anaheim is more on that side.

I think it's worse here. Cause it's never enough. The media and fans to an extent always demand more. It's a brutal market to play in, unless you are the back up goalie.

It's not about being "tough on its players."

An informed, professional, accountable media that is tough on it's players is entirely fair game and would be a welcomed change in Vancouver (although there are a few people who do qualify imo at present).

That's not what Kesler is referring to though. He's referring to a (bottomfeeding tabloid credibility) element in the Vancouver media that most of us have witnessed time and time again - so much so that it really goes withouth the necessity to name.

I don't like what Kesler did in the end or the way he serioulsy limited the team's interests, but GMJB produced a good result out of it, and I can't argue with a word Kesler has said here.

Well, it's true and all of us know that.

Some of it is a function of not being in the top media market in the country so we get the leftovers from those who can't get jobs in T.O. If anyone in Canada really wants to make their mark on a national scale they need to move to Toronto or they are an afterthought amongst the media brass. In fact, they'll never even get the same peer consideration. The big players are not in this market. It's simply a sad fact Botchford would be gone in a heartbeat if he was offered a job at the Star.

Kesler is right. Some members in the Vancouver media are terrible. Tony G and Botchford are public enemy number one. Kesler had a dry sense of humour that many did not get.

I'm keeping my Kesler jersey

kesler-interview-bomb.jpg

EDIT: I don't actually have a Kesler jersey, I was lying and now I feel bad. But if I did I would keep it.

I think he is spot on. The Vancouver sports media is a joke.

I've never seen a sports hot bed where the media is more intent on creating drama then being part of something special. I mean go ahead write your crap that creates drama and bad feelings once in a while but do they have to do it ad nauseum until they poke and prick everything to death.

So unprofessional.

Also love Kesler calling out the fact that Torts line usage was a non-issue. Dolts I say, all of you !!!!

Pavel Bure was treated like garbage by management, he had a very good reason to want out of Vancouver.

One of the first and best paid Russians to come over and make millions in N.A., So sorry for the little baby. Awww Pavel. Well his greediness lead to a useless end to his career. Serves him right, unfortunately, he probably still has more money than he knows what to do with.

Archived