The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks ahead of expectations!

Rocksterh8

I think we all need to sit back, relax and enjoy the exciting games our Canucks are playing this year.

They are in 6th place as of today.

After last years debocle I don't think there was anyone who would have thought this is where they would be at this point of the year. Sure their D struggle's at times, but who thought they would be able to out score some of those defensive mistakes. They are doing just that, more often than not.

I for one, feel so much better watching the Canucks knowing that we have Mr. Linden and Mr. Benning making the decisions to wright this ship now and in the future. Who would have thought they would be doing this well with all the new young players they acquired, Bonino, Vey, Vrbata, Horvat are all doing much more then I think all of us expected.

I love the fact our team is much younger now, the coach looks like he knows what it takes to win, the players look like they are all on the same page and playing for each other, and as a result we are watching this team improve every day!

I'm fully onboard and I hope you all are as well ! GO Canucks GO !

Canucks biggest challenge is the transition from the Sedin era. As well as the team is doing it is not a serious CUP contender. I suspect all vets +30 are subject to a possible trade. This is probably always the situation but Benning can speed the transition to a younger roster by dealing one or two of these vets. Much will depend on what the standings look like in March. Combine that with the strength of the 2015 draft and deals could be interesting.

As well as the Canucks have played the separation in the standings in the West simply has not happened. SJ is still there!

Lets just not get ahead of ourselves yet. As much as we can cheer for this great start and all the organizational changes if we compare to last year we were 13-10-5 after 28 games with 31 pts. Compared to 38 this year. Thats is only 7 more pts. With those 7 extra point we still don't make the playoffs last year.

Also the Sedin had a combined total of 52 pts after 28 games last season, the same total as this year after 28 games. Difference, secondary scoring is better and they play 20-21 minutes per game instead of 23-24 so that should help them stay on that pace for the rest of the season rather than collapse.

I doubt the Canucks will collapse like they did last year, they play smarter, better, they roll 4 lines, they are reasonnably healthy, but we are still far from being a playoff lock. Still, it's a promising start, but lots of hockey left to play.

Not sure what the teams expectations were for this years aside from making the playoffs. In addition to the coach and management changes these are the things that has impressed me the most. The focus on developing our prospects, an improvement in the quality of forwards that play in our bottom six, the goaltending situation and team spirit. It looks like the boys are having fun.

The major move to bring in Linden, Benning and Desjardin all at one time was strategic success.

Not usually a Grammar-Nasty, but last year's reference should be spelled, Debahhhckuhhlll..You'd incorporate a slight Bavarian accent & gutteral inflection(Yah, that's Guut!), spicing up the last syllable. Hope this helped..:^)

Oh, & THIS season? Well, here comes the madness..Now that we've sold lots of tickets/merch, watch our players get brutalized(league-sanctioned), with little to no mention from NHL Hindquarters. Likely another hospitalized, duct-tape wrapping, death-spiral, further scaring away potential UFA's from our league-targeted(black-balled) org.

Up in arms like raving madmen, WD, JB, TL & Hanky will be caught on Camera(in the aging Saddledome) pounding on Burkey's door, & frothing at the mouth for a pound of flesh. They all take it to the barn, as Burkey's ilk abides by the maxims stated in 'Animal Farm'.

Lets just not get ahead of ourselves yet. As much as we can cheer for this great start and all the organizational changes if we compare to last year we were 13-10-5 after 28 games with 31 pts. Compared to 38 this year. Thats is only 7 more pts.

7 points in 28GP is 20 points by the end.

nice try though.

I think last season and Tortorella was clearly an aberration. If we had hired just about any other coach I think this team never would have dropped so low last season and we'd still be one of the top teams in the division despite all the player moves.

The Canucks are just playing as they always have. WD coaches very similarly (albeit less defence) to AV, the Sedins and Edler are playing like stars again and we've finally got youth jumping up. That being said, the core of this team and the big-minute eaters are still all veterans (Sedins, Vbrata, Burrows, Bonino, Higgins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler, Miller) are eating up the majority of the ice time minutes.

Lets just not get ahead of ourselves yet. As much as we can cheer for this great start and all the organizational changes if we compare to last year we were 13-10-5 after 28 games with 31 pts. Compared to 38 this year. Thats is only 7 more pts. With those 7 extra point we still don't make the playoffs last year.

Also the Sedin had a combined total of 52 pts after 28 games last season, the same total as this year after 28 games. Difference, secondary scoring is better and they play 20-21 minutes per game instead of 23-24 so that should help them stay on that pace for the rest of the season rather than collapse.

I doubt the Canucks will collapse like they did last year, they play smarter, better, they roll 4 lines, they are reasonnably healthy, but we are still far from being a playoff lock. Still, it's a promising start, but lots of hockey left to play.

Seems like you were no good at math, but here how it works:

38 points to points 31 is like 101 points to 83 points. (83 points is what we had last year). Dallas with 91 points made it to the playoffs as the second wild card team. 101 points more or less, looks good.

I'm just happy that the boys seem to listen to WD even this early in the season. Sure seemed like Torts lost his audience in the locker at some point(which is understandable). Don't think that will happen here with WD, which hopefully means we continue to have some success.

Seems like you were no good at math, but here how it works:

38 points to points 31 is like 101 points to 83 points. (83 points is what we had last year). Dallas with 91 points made it to the playoffs as the second wild card team. 101 points more or less, looks good.

That's only if vancouver keeps on this pace,i think the point he has made has gone over everyone's heads. If this season goes just like last season from this point on, we still don't make the playoffs

But everyone knows 18-8-2 looks a helluva lot better than 13-10-5 and that's not it. We've played so much better than last year so far I'm satisfied as is.

Archived