The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Cocker Dead at 70

kyledude

From BBC:

22 December 2014 Last updated at 13:31 ET

Singer Joe Cocker dies aged 70
_79899430_joecocker_getty2.jpg

Singer Joe Cocker, best known for his cover of the Beatles' With A Little Help From My Friends, has died aged 70.

The singer song-writer from Sheffield had a career lasting more than 40 years with hits including You Are So Beautiful and Up Where We Belong.

His agent Barrie Marshall confirmed that he had died of an undisclosed illness.

He said he was "simply unique" and "it will be impossible to fill the space he leaves in our hearts."

Known for his gritty voice, Cocker began his singing career in the pubs and clubs of Sheffield in the 1960s before hitting the big time.

He was propelled to pop stardom when his version of The Beatles' With A Little Help from My Friends reached number one.

His duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong - from An Officer And A Gentleman - hit number one and went on to win both a Grammy and an Academy Award.

He was honoured with an OBE in 2007.

_79899530_cocker_jenniferwarnes_bbc.jpgJoe Cocker's duet with Jennifer Warnes Up Where We Belong won a Grammy and an Oscar

Last year he broke all his own records in arenas across Europe, with a number one album in Germany and what was to be his final concert in Hammersmith, London, in June.

Marshall said "he was without the doubt the greatest rock/soul voice ever to come out of Britain- and remained the same man throughout his life.

"Hugely talented, a true star, but a kind and humble man who loved to perform. Anyone who ever saw him live will never forget him."

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30582761

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRzKUVjHkGk

A sad day, RIP.

I thought his best was " Unchain My Heart" -great crank it up to the max tune. Second on the list "Leave Your Hat on".

Times are a changing, the 60-70's artists are dying off. As a now older guy, I wonder if in 40 years when people like Adam Levine and Taylor Swift pass on, will people notice? I kind of think not, but them I'm old(er), and maybe biased.

Such a distinct 60's groove in this one my fave. Perfect hangover song!

Only saw once. Indelibly stamped in my memory. Played a small theatre at, of all places Red River Community College in the North End of Winnipeg in the 80's.

Drank a 40 lbér on stage and couldn't handle it. Yup, let it go... :picard:

But belted it out like no one I ever heard all night.

I thought his best was " Unchain My Heart" -great crank it up to the max tune. Second on the list "Leave Your Hat on".

Times are a changing, the 60-70's artists are dying off. As a now older guy, I wonder if in 40 years when people like Adam Levine and Taylor Swift pass on, will people notice? I kind of think not, but them I'm old(er), and maybe biased.

why don't you think Taylor Swift will be remembered? she's a bonafide super star of music. Literally one of the most famous pop stars in the western world, and has been for years. Millions upon millions of fans who dig her for her music, 'basic' image, and lack of gimmicks. and assuming Swift actually writes the songs she has the writing credits for, she's an absolute genius of her genre, too.

Adam Lavine shouldn't even be mentioned alongside her, really.

Cocker was absolutely terrific... for just over a year starting in April '69 and ending in about Aug 1970. The rest of his career was hay making of the most mawkish sort culminating in the unlistenable "You Are So Beautiful" and the horrible "Up Where We Belong" with Jennifer Warnes. No disrespect intended but he was a minor artist at best who only had success with other people's songs and with his history of self abuse it was a miracle that he lasted till he was '70. Listen to the first 3 A & M records and ignore the rest; he spent the rest of his career as a "survivor" which was great press but which yielded very little memorable rock and roll. Apparently a lovely chap personally his overwrought stage demeanor was so over the top that John Belushi did a hysterical parody of it that was almost HIS finest moment. Sad that he's gone but the kerfuffel over his death makes me wonder what people will do when somebody like, say, Keith Richards or Paul McCartney dies.

Heartbreaking .. so often, when Joe 'did' a song, it was 'done' .. RIP Joe ..

Hi Tearloch7...Cocker was part of an age for me...you know...tune in...turn on and drop out..Cocker at woodstock was part of my youth...I hate getting old and saying goodbye to all my friends.....RIP

He sang this old Beatle oldie better than they did...with a little help from Leon Russell...

Archived