The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Canucks make some big trades, or just let it be

desiboynux4lifee*******

The Canucks are not far away from being contenders again, but at a steep price. Are you willing to trade away an horvat,gaunce, shinkurak, demko, virtanen for some players who are ready now?

Okay lets say a guy like Tyler Myers costs us a Horvat + pick are you ready to take this risk? Well that's what the Kings did. They traded away Wayne Simmons, Brayden Schenn (highly hyped prospect) and Jack Johnson for Richards and Jeff Carter. The Kings went on a winning streak once taking the risk with Jeff Carter. Important to note, although we are losing games against the big bad teams eg, Kings, Ducks, Sanjose; we are still keeping the games close.I feel this team needs a game changer and a solid D-man to beat those teams.

So, the management needs to figure out what to do quick because its obvious this team is not going to be a contender in the playoffs,'if they make it." What do you guys think ? Should this team go all out and sacrifice the future for a deep playoff run like LA did, or should they be patient and let this play out?

Again, were not too far off, the Sedins need some 2nd line support and the defence need a solid D-man like a Myers back there. I still feel this team can be contenders again, but some moves are to be made.

Finally, were an average team at the moment; the only way we are going to be a elite team again is trading away some of our highly hyped prospects. Otherwise lets just accept were an average team who will be 7-10 range, for the next three years.

I remember hearing about how those Carter and Richards contracts were "untradable". That phrase always makes me laugh because no contract is untradable, its just if you overpaid someone you have to trade them for lesser value if you want to trade them.

The Canucks haven't had the balls in recent years to do anything. MG wanted a player a prospect and a 1st for the ugliest of Canuck players. Now Benning is here and hopefully he will make trades.

The first potential trades I see going coming are Kassian, Burrows, Higgens and/or Bieksa. I'd guess 2 of those 4 will be done by year end.

Stand fast.

Wait until Hammer returns, and see if Kassian had a legitimate fire lit under his ass.

By trade deadline, see where we're at. If we're bubble or lower, the risk isn't worth one last gasp for this core. Trade for potential and picks (in one of the most highly touted drafts in quite some time mind you), and plan for next year and beyond.

bennng needs to sign tanev to a decent 4-5 yr contract no more than 4 mill per if tanev wants more trade him at deadline as well trade 3 of ( richardson, higgins, hansen, burrows, vey, weber, sbisa) and one goalie ( miller, lack or markstrom). miller to ducks or sharks for a first or one of the youngsters to yotes, oilers, pens, isles, devils

The only trades I really want are for any 1st or early 2nd round picks in this up coming draft.

Really hope JB is smart enough not to give up key young pieces at the deadline for players that will help us barely get into the playoffs followed by a 1st round exit.

Keep building up that prospect pool.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-_________

Sbisa-Bieksa

If we get a get d-man to play with Hamhuis that would be a huge help. Id do Lack + Higgins + 2nd 2016 for a top 4 d-man that is NOT a UFA.

I don't want to trade any prospects like

Tryamkin

Horvat

Virtanen

McCann

Subban

Prospects I'm willing to trade for the right price

Shinkaruk

Jensen

Gaunce

Corrado

So long as the Sedins are here, we ain't winning anything. Great guys, declining hockey players.

So no changes we make will be big enough to make an impact, because they will still be the "offensive leaders" on the team. We can't afford the calibre of secondary scoring we need or the type of D we need.

Imo, only once the Sedins retire will we be able to restructure and start from scratch

So long as the Sedins are here, we ain't winning anything. Great guys, declining hockey players.

So no changes we make will be big enough to make an impact, because they will still be the "offensive leaders" on the team. We can't afford the calibre of secondary scoring we need or the type of D we need.

Imo, only once the Sedins retire will we be able to restructure and start from scratch

Totally agree but after the sedins are gone we really have no chance at the cup for 7-8 years

The Canucks are not far away from being contenders again, but at a steep price. Are you willing to trade away an horvat,gaunce, shinkurak, demko, virtanen for some players who are ready now?

Unless it's for another guy around their age. It'd be foolish to trade a younger guy for an older guy though, this team's in a rebuild. If they miss the playoffs, whatever, just don't sacrifice the future.

I feel the West right now is tooooo stacked, and to sell the farm would only enable us to match teams like LA and Chicago. To me its too much of a risk.

I agree. Too risky. Even if we make a so called big trade, I don't think it would be enough for us to contend this year. Let's face it; we are about 10-12th out of 30 teams. Even a big trade (i.e. one or more first rounders plus a roster position) would likely only move us up to 5th or 6th. We need to look to the future because our best years are likely behind us; that is unless the Sedins can become point per game players again. Looking to the future, it would be great to acquire a player like Sam Reinhart, Curtis Lazar or Max Domi (McDavid would cost us too much and we don't have enough to offer) but the price would be high. I'd only be willing to do the big trade if it involved players like that (i.e. young high end prospects). The Team Canada Jr. team is loaded with good players (i.e. future NHLers).

I believe Kass is being seriously considered trade bait an will be gone before next 20 games or trade deadline ,no real logic to sitting him this long unless its to maintain market viability as numerious comparisons to other power farwards hitting there mark at 190 or so games.This is why Vey is getting a real hard long look an chance to see where he might fit in long term. with limited player movement available on this roster.Kass becomes viable trade canidate for other holes that could be filled an they will live with what they have on forward lines an draft but expect them to make a move on a top 2 D man to shore up a very shoddy D .Sadly wont know until the deal is done which is 40 days less 20 games.

Totally agree but after the sedins are gone we really have no chance at the cup for 7-8 years

I agree the thing is players like the Sedins are rare to have on your team. They force the opposition to play their top 2 D-men at all times. Imagine if this team actaully had a 2nd line and a top 4 D-man back there. Its a risk, but that's the only way I see this team winning a cup.

I believe Kass is being seriously considered trade bait an will be gone before next 20 games or trade deadline ,no real logic to sitting him this long unless its to maintain market viability as numerious comparisons to other power farwards hitting there mark at 190 or so games.This is why Vey is getting a real hard long look an chance to see where he might fit in long term. with limited player movement available on this roster.Kass becomes viable trade canidate for other holes that could be filled an they will live with what they have on forward lines an draft but expect them to make a move on a top 2 D man to shore up a very shoddy D .Sadly wont know until the deal is done which is 40 days less 20 games.

Kass needs a longer look before we should consider trading him. He is a young big skilled top 9 forward (notice I'm not sold on him being a top 6 forward). Kass is exactly the type of player we need on this team. We should keep him for at least one more year. He just needs to be more disciplined and take fewer penalties in the offensive zone (i.e. keep his stick on the ice).

I think as long as we dont give up too much I want to make a trade to beef up our second line. I was at the game last night and think one thing our teams lacks alot is intensity. It seemed like rogers arena atmosphere was dead and not what it use to be when we had a player like kesler sparking up the arena and jacking up his team mates. I think with few right changes we have a real shot and a good playoff run and with the sedins ageing now is the time to make a move. I think we have too good of a vet core to not do anything about it.

I think a guy like dubinsky would do wonders for the nucks. He's a leader of a player, 28 yrs old but mainly has the heart of a lion. That behind the sedins on our second line would really challenge other teams top players and give the sedins more room to do their thing. He does not back down and has fought ovechkin before and recently got under toews skin and fought him. That is the type of player and time of element I think benning needs to add to make our team a serious threat once again.

Do you guys agree with that?

We don't really need to until some more vets ask to leave.

I see no reason to trade Kassian now as his value is nil. Nor would I consider it a big trade.

We need to stop trading 2nd and 3rd rounders like they have no value. Esp. for pretty insignificant returns. Their value is increasing by the minute in a cap era.

^Dubinsky is overpaid, is 28yrs old and is signed until 2021, has zero goals, has been injured, and holy crap... PASS! Welcome to the boards though.

I just want someone who can move the puck much faster on the point. It's one thing when the Sedins are methodically tiring out the opponents on the boards. It's one thing when your go-to pointman (Edler) is slow and lumbering, hesitant on decisions and very slow when moving the puck. His pass for the Vrbata one-timer never works because the pass is way too slow. The goalie knows it's coming.

Archived