The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should the Sedin twins be broken up for 5 on 5 play?

*Buzzsaw*

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As the season moves on, and as the Sedins become slower, and less dominant offensively, the question has to be asked:

Is it time to break up the Sedins?

Game versus Tampa, and other games in the past would seem to suggest they are not capable of coping defensively against a high powered offensive team.

Would it be better to split them up and match them each with two skilled defensive linemates, who have a little more speed?

Really each of them has transitioned into almost pure passers, they rarely shoot. Radim Vrbata has now become the go to guy... neither Daniel or Henrik is looking to shoot. When they had their most success 5 on 5, with Burrows, the go to guy was Daniel with Henrik as the passer. Now we have two passers on the line... one too many.

If they were assigned to two separate lines, then each of those lines would then have the skilled passer.

I think personally they should be split up when the opponent is a high powered offensive team. Against weaker opposition, they can stay together.

Obviously they should remain on the PP, their defensive liabilities are not a real factor there. (although obviously the PP needs some fixing)

Comments?

I've been wondering for years why they don't try them on separate lines (outside of the powerplay). I know they have been split up at times before, but not for any more than a shift or two a game. I think the problem is, outside of Vrabata, who is going to be the trigger man for the other Sedin?

I think you bring up a good point Daniel Sedin has become Henrik Sedin 2.0 to a tee. He is literally only making passes cause he knows his shot is not what it used to be which isn't a bad thing to do since its much more productive to do something you know you can do well.

Despite what others are saying about Daniel being bad without Henrik we have to remember the last time that happened was when Daniel was more of a shooter so he relied on Henrik a lot. I think now that he is a play maker, he can set up Bonino, Higgins or Burrows on another line.

Right now teams figure out to shutdown Vrbata and their job is done. Something has to be done (5 on 5 not PP).

We have a 1st line and 3 third lines.

We need a better second line and a better second line PP that can rotate the puck and SHOOT!

Vey/Boner/Matthias

Hamhuis/Corrado

should be our second line PP. Not Higgins, or Hansen, or Dorsett. They cough up the puck when they cycle around it's not even a joke. Boner is a little inconsistent, Kassian isn't doing jack sh%t, Higgins loves to disappear and reappear in and out of his little bunny whole, Hansen is better used on the 3rd line, Matthias needs to prove he can contribute on a nightly basis, Sbisa loves to give pucks away by creating a puck giveaway galore up in his zone, Sedins can't shoot, Vey needs to keep his head up or else he's going to become a Joffrey Lupul injury prone player, and our d can't provide consistently scoring.

Horvat has been creating chances, winning draws, creating havoc in front of the net, makes sweet, crisp passes, and using his body to separate himself from other players rather than letting people rag-doll him into a ball the way they do it to Vey.

Corrado has been excellent during his stint. Him and Hamhuis look like a promising, duo tandem for a few more years for us. Miller has been playing phenomenal the last few games and in this road trip. Vrbata is shooting and creating scoring chances. Matthias, Dorsett are the only ones crashing the net and creating opportunities and causing separation between the defence and the goalie, and Edler/Tanev duo have been a great shut-down line pairing that should get way more recognition around the league.

Just my thoughts after this road trip. If we want to make the playoffs, we need a better second line. I really like Bones and Burr together. Maybe we can offload Higgins for a draft pick, and call up one of Jensen or Grenier to replace Higgins on the second line or put Vey there. We need youth in the top 6. It's looking very slow, old, and boring top 6 to watch when the Sedins aren't doing anything. Nothing against Higgins, he's a great player and a great guy, but he's easily move-able with that great bargain of a contract.

I thought this was an old thread, but it's a new thread.

Can't split up the brother act and Vrbata is the only finisher on the team.

Relax. We'll still beat those teams we should beat and maybe we'll scrape into the playoffs. Maybe we'll even win a round.

We don't need them split up. We need a PURE goal scorer (another Bure) who could score at will and OMG, two 5 on three's tonight and nothing. That was our game. Splitting up the Sedins or keeping them together won't change anything.

A Pavel Bure type player is all we need?

Well why the hell didn't anyone else think of that?!

B)

Right now teams figure out to shutdown Vrbata and their job is done. Something has to be done (5 on 5 not PP).

For players of their calibre and creativity, that is no excuse. How can they manage to not even set up any opportunities when it's 5-on-3?

Split them up for the PP. Daniel's not shooting much anymore and Henrik only shoots at open nets when nobody's around, so teams know there's only Vrbata and Edler to cover. Burrows is one of the few guys who will do net-front duty, maybe try Matthias in there on the second unit. Henrik can still find Vrbata on his own, but Radim needs to get himself open -- sometimes he's been behind the goal-line.

Get Danny on that second unit and make him the half-wall playmaker, with Matthias in front and Corrado at the point for the one-time RH slapper. He's had several goals in Utica that way. Put Vey in Vrbata's spot likewise for the cross-ice feed from Daniel. I still say it's high time for Sanguinetti to come in and freshen things up, but Utica's PP hasn't been that great either.

id send sedins on a week vacation at a tropical getaway where personal trainers hAve a week to get them in better shape massages and physio, accupuncture, dieticians, accupressure, core training, yoga, shockra treatments to help there battered bodies. because they look old and decrepid out there. they need to be renergized

I think you bring up a good point Daniel Sedin has become Henrik Sedin 2.0 to a tee. He is literally only making passes cause he knows his shot is not what it used to be which isn't a bad thing to do since its much more productive to do something you know you can do well.

Despite what others are saying about Daniel being bad without Henrik we have to remember the last time that happened was when Daniel was more of a shooter so he relied on Henrik a lot. I think now that he is a play maker, he can set up Bonino, Higgins or Burrows on another line.

I voted no, but it might be something that WD should try at some point this season. I agree that the weak link is Daniel, but I think it's just a confidence thing with him. I don't think he has lost his ability to shoot, he just doesn't seem to take that extra split second to pick his spot before releasing. There isn't always that split second to make decisions during play, but often times there is and he seems to be in a hurry just to put the puck on net without trying to score. I'm sure in practice he can pick the corner of the net at will. Both Sedins have great passing accuracy, but somehow it just isn't translating into their shots on net. If they can thread the needle with some of those passes that get through, then surely they can still pick their spots when it comes to shots on net.

Archived