The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on TSN1040 @1:30 today

Outsiders

Everyone set your clocks. Lets here what Jim has to say for himself.

Poking fun at a predicted Benning answer

Team 1040 question - Jim what made you pull the trigger on a Kassian deal today. The fans seem upset with the return

" You know we felt we were getting a good player back for Zack, which is why we decided to give a 5th round pick to make it happen" Prust brings it every night and we need players like that. We feel this was good for both sides. "

EDIT -GM Jim Benning addressing the media. "We wanted to add toughness to our group. Prust is great on the PK and he's a character player" per canucks Twitter

Team 1040 question - Jim what made you pull the trigger on a Kassian deal today. The fans seem upset with the return

" You know we felt we were getting a good player back for Zack, which is why we decided to give a 5th round pick to make it happen" Prust brings it every night and we need players like that. We feel this was good for both sides. "

yep pretty close!

Prust is going to help our guys learn to play the right way, Kass was not going to do that. We need someone who is a little more efficient at gettig the puck out of our Zone, Kassian had trouble along the wall.

Pretty much expecting this

"Like we wanted character and like Prust brings that like with the young players coming up we think like at the end of the like day, Zack wasn't in like our plans and like Prust is a good fourth like liner and like is our July 1st like signing like we're in a like transitional phase and like I worked hard on this like trade and like we think its like best for the team like we still want to like compete"

"Jim, why....why did you trade Kassian AND a 5th?"

"Well 1040, I asked Kassian if he was a Beatles or Stones kinda guy, he said Beatles. That isn't the kind of character I want on my team, so i felt I could get younger and faster for the future by trading him and a 5th to the first taker and luckily I got a call from Montreal for that young scoring threat Prust"

"Uhhhh Jim, Prust is 31 scored 4 goals last year and has missed a lot of time recently"

"He's got character, he's a Stones guy. Seguin was also a Beatles guy....I just can't have that kind of person on our team"

"Jim so what's your plan for the future then, how will you compete in the now younger faster and more skilled Pacific division?"

"Well 1040, I think I will place an emphasis on acquiring more picks and younger faster meat and potatoes kind of players, the kind of guys you can grow a team around. So I am calling Tallon in Florida and am going to see fi they will accept McCaan and a 2016 first for Jagr. That man is a huge stones fan. Can't have enough Character"

lol at people mocking Benning.

Experts and others in the business are nodding their head in agreement with the moves that are being made.

Like who?

I don't have an issue with the Bieksa trade really. The Lack trade should've been better.. and this Prust trade is void of any logic. Well, someone said it was to get rid of a "distraction bigger than his contribution" - fair enough. But that distraction wasn't of his own making. Debatable mismanagement at both positions.. GM and coach..

Experts and others in the business are nodding their head in agreement with the moves that are being made.

you mean Craig Simpson, who was analyzing this trade before the return was even announced.

Or Elliotte Friedman, who misreported the 5th round pick, probably because it was too unbelievable that the Canucks were adding the pick.

I guess he's done making moves today then. Take that how you will..

He was on the Team yesterday before the Bieksa trade I think

Experts and others in the business are nodding their heads knowing that they can get Edler for a 3rd and Benning will throw in a 2nd as well

Possibly making room for Virtanen? If so, I'm not that hugely bummed.

We can have Prust doing what ever the frack he's going to do. But why give the 5th rounder... Would have been fine if we hadn't added the 5th rounder.

Anyways, not too late for Beleskey?

Archived