The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously! Jim? Trevor? Willie? What is going on in your minds and behind the Canucks bench during games?

SuperReverb2

Team had a "bounce back" year last year thanks to rolling 4 lines. DIDN'T roll 4 lines in the playoffs last year against a younger, more aggressive, faster, AND BETTER COACHED Calgary team. Results are obvious history by now.

Along comes the offseason moves, talk of youth and re-tooling on the fly, making room, etc., etc. Lo and behold we have three youthful standouts in pre season and true to Benning's word they all make the team. Deservedly so in my books. Kids looked great, 4 lines for the most part were used for whole games and some early wins started piling up. Yes, against struggling Calgary, Edmonton, LA, and Anaheim teams at the start, but none the less the hockey was FAST, EXCITING, and SOMTHING NEW! More than one line was scoring, we were outhustling lot's of teams, were weren't relaying on the damn cycle so much, and the future looked rather rosy for the most part.

Now, after running into some stiffer competition, and the games (obviously) not going so smoothly, I see a VERY DISTURBING trend developing that I don't really understand or even comprehend how it's been allowed by the higher ups (Trevor and Jim) to continue. Obviously today is not the first time we have lost in this disturbing way.

In MANY games that we have lost, we have had the lead going into the third or clawed back into a tie in the third or late second. We have done this (for the most part) by playing 4 lines and allowing the kids some decent ice time. This has rewarded the team with the lead or at least a tie as previously stated. Then for some UNEXPLICABLE reason Willie D has a major 3 period brain fart and decides that what got us to where we currently are in the game (i.e. lead or tie) is not good enough and he shortens his bench (sits the kids) and goes with his "trusted" vets in hopes of salvaging said win or tie. The LOOSING results in regulation or 3 -3 overtime speak for themselves. WE LOST plain and simple, and we LOST with at least 2 of the players that helped get the lead or the tie stapled to the bench for most if not all of the third and certainly all of the overtime.

Seriously don't get it. We have skilled youth now that is effective, fast, hockey smart, and seem to have a scoring touch, yet they sit while Willie D the dumb ass trots out the declining cores players that are the VERY REASON for the so called "youth movement" in the first place, in the hopes that they can salvage a win or a tie.(?????) Willie says he doesn't trust the kids or want them to get their confidence bruised by putting them in situations he feels they aren't ready for? How do think the kids are going to feel stapled to the third period bench night after night watching the very guys they are there to replace (soon I hope) loose the game they were instrumental in winning or at least halving until they were told to "sit!"

Willie? Jim? Trevor? Were losing games we shouldn't be loosing! What have you guys got to loose by playing the kids FOR THE WHOLE GAME? More losses? Maybe, but at least they would be exciting and fun the watch instead of predictable and waiting for the inevitable shoe that you know is going to drop, to drop.

Really guys you excited the fan base by keeping the kids, now your confusing the hell out of everybody by having a coach behind the bench that won't play them. Not a great situation is it?

Willie D may have won at every level up to the NHL, but he's REALLY struggling in the NHL. Mouth says one thing, brain and actions do something totally different.

Maybe there's somewhere else the team needs a change? Maybe somebody else is getting "stale" and "old?" Food for thought for sure. Hope the thought process doesn't take too long though. Thanks! 

:)  

Title says it all. Team had a "bounce back" year last year thanks to rolling 4 lines. DIDN'T roll 4 lines in the playoffs last year against a younger, more aggressive, faster, AND BETTER COACHED Calgary team. Results are obvious history by now.

Along comes the offseason moves, talk of youth and re-tooling on the fly, making room, etc., etc. Lo and behold we have three youthful standouts in pre season and true to Benning's word they all make the team. Deservedly so in my books. Kids looked great, 4 lines for the most part were used for whole games and some early wins started piling up. Yes, against struggling Calgary, Edmonton, LA, and Anaheim teams at the start, but none the less the hockey was FAST, EXCITING, and SOMTHING NEW! More than one line was scoring, we were outhustling lot's of teams, were weren't relaying on the damn cycle so much, and the future looked rather rosy for the most part.

Now, after running into some stiffer competition, and the games (obviously) not going so smoothly, I see a VERY DISTURBING trend developing that I don't really understand or even comprehend how it's been allowed by the higher ups (Trevor and Jim) to continue. Obviously today is not the first time we have lost in this disturbing way.

In MANY games that we have lost, we have had the lead going into the third or clawed back into a tie in the third or late second. We have done this (for the most part) by playing 4 lines and allowing the kids some decent ice time. This has rewarded the team with the lead or at least a tie as previously stated. Then for some UNEXPLICABLE reason Willie D has a major 3 period brain fart and decides that what got us to where we currently are in the game (i.e. lead or tie) is not good enough and he shortens his bench (sits the kids) and goes with his "trusted" vets in hopes of salvaging said win or tie. The LOOSING results in regulation or 3 -3 overtime speak for themselves. WE LOST plain and simple, and we LOST with at least 2 of the players that helped get the lead or the tie stapled to the bench for most if not all of the third and certainly all of the overtime.

Seriously don't get it. We have skilled youth now that is effective, fast, hockey smart, and seem to have a scoring touch, yet they sit while Willie D the dumb ass trots out the declining cores players that are the VERY REASON for the so called "youth movement" in the first place, in the hopes that they can salvage a win or a tie.(?????) Willie says he doesn't trust the kids or want them to get their confidence bruised by putting them in situations he feels they aren't ready for? How do think the kids are going to feel stapled to the third period bench night after night watching the very guys they are there to replace (soon I hope) loose the game they were instrumental in winning or at least halving until they were told to "sit!"

Willie? Jim? Trevor? Were losing games we shouldn't be loosing! What have you guys got to loose by playing the kids FOR THE WHOLE GAME? More losses? Maybe, but at least they would be exciting and fun the watch instead of predictable and waiting for the inevitable shoe that you know is going to drop, to drop.

Really guys you excited the fan base by keeping the kids, now your confusing the hell out of everybody by having a coach behind the bench that won't play them. Not a great situation is it?

Willie D may have won at every level up to the NHL, but he's REALLY struggling in the NHL. Mouth says one thing, brain and actions do something totally different.

Maybe there's somewhere else the team needs a change? Maybe somebody else is getting "stale" and "old?" Food for thought for sure. Hope the thought process doesn't take too long though. Thanks! 

Look at me, does it look like i've lost my mind !

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

People need to relax. This type of game will happen more than a few times over the next year or two.

This team is in a TRANSITION PHASE. The sooner people understand that, the sooner they can stay calm over games like this. 

Watching Virtanen play today really showed his potential. Great speed, aggressiveness, size and power. 

Sure Hutton may have not had his best game, but he came out of no where and looks to be on pace with Tanev in terms of skill and hockey IQ, plus better offensive ability. 

Plus the likes of McCann, Gaunce, Boeser, Bear, ect ect. 

We just need more D prospects which hopefully we can acquire/get picks when we unload some of the Vets. 

Team had a "bounce back" year last year thanks to rolling 4 lines. DIDN'T roll 4 lines in the playoffs last year against a younger, more aggressive, faster, AND BETTER COACHED Calgary team. Results are obvious history by now.

I'm pretty sure Jim. Trevor. Willie. know much more than you. 

Willie struggling in the NHL?

I'm pretty sure nobody expected much out of this team this season other than a mediocre, middle of the pack team transitioning to a younger, hungrier one. We all should know that the old core, or what's left of it, is past their best before date and until the young guns are capable of stepping up and taking over it'll be more or less the same we have seen for a few years now. Look, I'm not a huge fan of Willie either and his coaching tactics are mediocre at best. He's a conservative coach that is afraid to take chances but until the young players are deemed good to go by his standards be prepared to deal with losses like this. 

We are fans and they are coaches and management.  Our job is to second guess their jobs!  I'm pretty sure that they are disappointed with some of the loss of points late in games this season.  However, I'm just going to continue to trust WD and JB because we are playing the kids and I like the direction of the team.  After disappointing losses you have to look at the big picture and flush the toilet on this result.

They haven't even played 15 games, WD is doing the right thing and bringing the kids along slowly. He is already playing them more in the 3rd, by January the team should be rolling. They have been playing well (most important thing), they just need to clean up some brain cramp moments in each game.

Archived