The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] x4 first round picks 2016 draft

• Trade Vrbata to the highest bidder that includes a 1st round pick in their offer.
     Perron got a 1st and a NHL body (Klinkhammer), and Vrbata is a notch higher than Perron in terms of offensive capability. Vermette trade to Chicago, Arizona got a 1st and a prospect (Dahlbeck) for a pending UFA Vermette. He even signed back with them in the offseason. Vrbata is a goal scorer and there will be a number of contending teams looking to add a scorer. So whether there is a predetermined extension or not with the team he's dealt to, there will be teams offering a 1st regardless. Not to mention a year prior, Vanek got Moulson, 1st, 2nd, and ended up leaving for UFA so don't wanna hear that crap teams won't pay a 1st because he's not signed beyond this year...that's their problem, not ours. We can get a 1st as shown. 

EX: Vrby @ 50% retained (makes cap hit $2.5m)
    ...to Montreal for 1st+Nygren/Lehkonen...to Nashville for 1st+Novak...etc

• Same logic applies to Hamhuis as done to Vrbata.
     Sekerea got a 1st and a prospect (McKeown). Boychuk got two 2nd's and a 3rd. Josh Gorges a 2nd and he's a pilon. Brad Stuart got a 2nd+6th and he can barely skate. Franson was traded for a 1st as a pending UFA and he's a lot worse dman than Hamhuis. Not to mention, he didn't even re-sign with the Predators and hit UFA and is now with Buffalo. So likewise again, regardless if Hamhuis signs an extension before being dealt, there will be 1st round picks on the tables from certain teams that want him badly. Not the player he once was but still a solid #2 dman who can compliment any pairing. And if those guys could fetch those returns, don't wanna hear the 'most we can get is a 2nd+' stuff because clearly there will be teams willing to pay up. 

EX: Hamhuis @ 50% retained (makes cap hit $2.25m)
    ...to Ottawa for 1st+Paul/Englund...1st+Sproul...etc

• Package Higgins + 2nd (either ours or Ducks) for a late 1st @ TD or draft.
    Higgy is worth a mid-late 2nd or 3rd+late pick at the least. Package him with whichever 2nd is ranked later to a contending team looking to add a versatile depth forward and move up 10-20 spots into the 1st round. He is signed to a cap friendly deal. Low/fair dollars and another year left after this season. Chris Stewart got a 1st round pick back and he's a bust and hardly contributes. Curtis Glencross fetched a 2nd+3rd as a pending UFA and he's hasn't even signed with a team yet. Winnik got a 2nd+4th. Tyler Kennedy and Devin Setoguchi fetched 2nd's respectively. So I'm sure the Canucks can manage to package Higgy with a 2nd and get a late 1st (move 10-20 spots) instead of getting a 2nd+ deal for him alone.

EX: 2nd+Higgins @ 50% for this year (makes cap hit $1.25m)
    ...to Minnesota for 1st...to Washington/Dallas for a 1st...etc

Replace Vrbata by making Virtanen a full timer and not the 13th forward. Higgins, callup Grenier/Kenins/Jensen. Hamhuis, promote Hutton to 2nd pair LW and callup Fedun. Grind out the rest of the season. Make the playoffs, cool. If not, cool. 

4 1st round picks heading into the draft. JB interview, sounded like Shinkaruk is ready to be a full timer next year. Lucic likely to sign here. And sign a FA dman. Go nuts in the draft. Keep all the picks, maybe trade some together to move up or trade for a player, idk, whatever it is.

Rough lineup:

Twins - Sutter
Shinkaruk - Horvat - Lucic
Burrows - McCann - Virtanen
Dorsett - Gaunce/FA/Cracknell - Hansen
Baertschi

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - FA (Russell/Demers/etc)
Sbisa - ?? (FA/Trade/Fedun/Bartkowski/etc)
Pedan, FA/Trade

Miller - Markstrom

Two things.

Once other GMs catch wind of our attempts at a fire sale, they'll try to manhandle us and offer as little as possible.

Also, Jim Benning seems to be a very poor negotiator or just bad at trade valuation.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of those guys got traded (as long as we play the way we have).  I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get proper trade value back, because of GM Benning.  He is puzzling, to say the least.

Alright.  Let's lay this out my man.

Almost all of the teams you listed will be top of the heap to end the season.Essentially making their 1sts late 1sts.  Some of them have multiple picks in the first 3 rounds.  

Would we want a single 1st, or would we be ok with a couple 2nds, a 2nd and 3rd or a 1st and 2nd instead of x prospects projects?

I've been on my soapbox hoping that Lindenning just nab a bunch of 1st through 3rd round picks and blow them all on RW's and RHD.

I'd still be good with it

I think comparing previous deadline deals to present isn't fair so many different variables in play. For example Sekera and Vermette weren't really worth it so maybe g.m' are wiser this year. Remember what Vanek and Gaborik brought back for returns? Not much. I find it funny when proposals come up some only use examples that help their case. 

Anyway though I think Jb's plan is to make the playoffs and given our weak division that's a good possibility.

31 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think comparing previous deadline deals to present isn't fair so many different variables in play. For example Sekera and Vermette weren't really worth it so maybe g.m' are wiser this year. Remember what Vanek and Gaborik brought back for returns? Not much. I find it funny when proposals come up some only use examples that help their case. 

Anyway though I think Jb's plan is to make the playoffs and given our weak division that's a good possibility.

Well I mean that's kind of how you make a point.

You wouldn't see an essay says WWI was a good thing using the death totals.

First Deal

Vbrata isn’t young as Peron and Peron had term on his contract. Can’t compare these deals.

Vermette was a center.  Centers are a high priority come deadline as teams try to strengthen their roster down the middle.

If you want to compare Vbrata to anyone, look no further than the Vanek trade deadline deal to Montreal.  Vanek + 5th only got a 2nd + a prospect.  Vanek at the time had 53 points in 60 games. 

Considering the NTC Vbrata has, we can bet that the only teams looking to pick up Vbrata are playoff bound teams meaning picks (18-30) & (48-60)

Because we’d be retaining salary, I would say a late first might be a possibility but I won’t hold my breath.  I’m more expecting a late 2nd + a conditional 3rd – 5th round pick (based on playoff success)

Second Deal

Hamhuis would be the UFA that has the most value,  If we retain cap and he opens up his NTC than I wouldn’t be shocked to be getting a late first in return.  But those are big ifs  Iginla with his NTC also limited teams and all he got in return was a late first and two low value prospects.  Considering the circumstances, if canucks get a 2nd round pick for Hammer I’d be ok with it. 

Third deal

Canucks no longer have the ducks 2nd round pick as we packaged it up in the Sutter deal. 

Considering players like Higgins really don’t have much value in this league anymore, I wouldn’t be surprised if all his value is worth is around a 4th. Glencross this year didn’t even get signed.  No way were getting a first in return for Higgins even if we package up our second.  The best value we will get for Higgins is if we use him as an asset in a bigger package or if were willing to take back a bad contract. 

Without any of these deals canucks sit with a 1st, a 2nd and (2x) 3rd .  We also could have another 2nd based on torts.  That is 4-5 picks in the first 90.  If we can obtain at least one more second to put us up to 6 picks in the first 90 selections we should be ecstatic, as that would fill our cupboards up in short matter. 

29 minutes ago, Delta76 said:

Sure it does.

If you are making a point you don't go giving facts that counter the point.

Well, to be fair, your argument sounded weird to me.

That being said, I think a good argument at least acknowledges the other side and listens. So many arguments on these boards are like "I'm right because I'm right! nah nah nah nah I can't hear you!" lol In your example, it would be good to acknowledge the death toll and perhaps use that death toll to further stress what those people died for. ;)

Not sure about getting 4 but 3 is definitely doable. Sometimes teams perfer rentals over players with term. All it takes is a few injuries to some contending teams and they'll ship out first for rentals. For example mtr and wash are both teams thst would want rentals instead of term because of contracts coming up in their current rosters. If the playoffs started today lets say mtr would have gallagher out and washington would have orpik out. Both teams great shots at the cup. Both teams for sure dump their 1st to bulstet yheir lineups for playoffs

9 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Two things.

Once other GMs catch wind of our attempts at a fire sale, they'll try to manhandle us and offer as little as possible.

Also, Jim Benning seems to be a very poor negotiator or just bad at trade valuation.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of those guys got traded (as long as we play the way we have).  I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get proper trade value back, because of GM Benning.  He is puzzling, to say the least.

you sure live up to your name blah blah blah. Jim Benning is bad at trade valuation? He got us Sbisa , McCann and Bonino, who was then traded for Sutter when Kesler handcuffed us with a one team trade request. Every trade he's made he's come out on top, name one where he didn't.

People always say JB overpays players, gives up too high of a picks or gets too little in return for some of our players. I say you people are probably right!

but is this trend going to continue? 

Probably not! Not going forward.

The reason being is as follows. when he first took over he was given a team with no clear identity. The culture especially was in shambles and some players were disinterested and/or no longer wanted to be here. We were no longer a tough team to play against.

Enter JB. He immediately got to work  addressing the most important thing ailing this team. So he began to infuse  character and toughness into this team. He wasn't going to wait and just hope that magically the team would change, he needed pieces to get the plan in motion and from the inception instill the blue collar mentality. So he went out and got those pieces! Maybe he overpayed a little sure, but he had the luxury to do so cause we were not going to be contenders or pretenders last year or at least for a couple of years down the road. In all the deals he's made evidence has shown he got pretty much the player he was looking to get.

Buy bye booth: booth bought out so he can spend more time hunting n stuff

d.i.s.gruntled KELSER: one team, one team only. Clearly Kes wanted to move on but to handcuff a team that's brought him along his whole career speaks to the character of the person and nothing more. Lest we forget the drama with his first contract in van. Good riddance. Also got rid of distraction that could become cancerous environment around the team.Anyways..

Enter Bonino, Sbisa and first round pick ie. McCann : all the pieces in this deal were necessities. Replacing a C-man with a Center shiny in all the right places, grabbing good young inexpensive d with potential and physical presence , restocking shallow prospect pool. Was this all we could have gotten for Kesler if we were dealing from a position of strength? You know the answer 

jason " I have a heavy shot and I scored 16 times on the powerplay so pay me 4.6mils a year& btw what's defence " garrison: was he worth it? No. Did gillis get desperate? Yes. What did Bennington do? Get rid of his entire bloated contract & get a 2nd round pick in return. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Dorsette the barbarian: 3rd pick to get him here. Well worth it since he was really establishing himself in the league and on a good Rangers team. What a steal. And you say this benning guy can't swindle.

$6 mills for Mills: a solid goalie with the resume and experience to solidify a position that is always in question in van. Took away the negativity and distraction that had become the best& worst dinner conversation around town. 6 mills/year though? Yikes. But why so much. Well regardless of a bad season or two ( everyone has those btw) he was still a desirable sought after goalie. He probably would have got less if he decided to go to a contender to have  a good chance to compete for the cup.  so how do you get the best goalie on the market to come to a non contender team? That's right "showwwww  me the moneyyyy". The biggest thing here was finally stability in the crease. Worth the price tag and the term.

Agent Vrbatta: 5 mills 2 years, trying to win need to put the rubber in the net who do you call? Radio Vrbatta. Pure sniper who most often than not makes good on his chances. Also a guy which any other team would cherrish. On a contender he'd be worth a bit less but to come to a transitioning team what does it take? Miller knows " moneyyyyyy"

Thats only in first year that JB made such dramatic and influential changes to the roster. How badly did this franchise need these changes? BADLY. How did he do it? By getting  the pieces he desired. Did he overpay? Sometimes but for good reason. Did he give away the future to do so? No he actually improved it in the process.

What's  the feel around the team nowadays? The future is right around the corner and the team plays honest.

which brings me to my actual point...finally..

This year we are more stable as a team. All players are valuable in their respective roles. JB now has more time to listen because there are no immediate glaring holes or issues to be addressed ( besides d, but honestly it's a pretty serviceable group back there).

the culture change is in motion now and in full swing. Any player being traded who is an integral part of our team will fetch better return this year more than last year there is no rush this year. 

Make Jim an offer he's sure to counter and stand his ground this time around .

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Well, to be fair, your argument sounded weird to me.

That being said, I think a good argument at least acknowledges the other side and listens. So many arguments on these boards are like "I'm right because I'm right! nah nah nah nah I can't hear you!" lol In your example, it would be good to acknowledge the death toll and perhaps use that death toll to further stress what those people died for. ;)

Yeah that's true.

Also nice work using my example :P

On 2015-11-27, 6:56:10, Bob.Loblaw said:

Two things.

Firesales are what Arizona did last season's trade deadline in the hopes of finishing dead last and picking up McDavid.

If the Canucks go on and trade Vrbata, Hamhuis and Higgins at the deadline, it isn't a firesale; it's not enough movement to be considered a firesale.

On Fri Nov 27 2015 13:08:37 GMT-0800, Patchoball Cannons said:

you sure live up to your name blah blah blah. Jim Benning is bad at trade valuation? He got us Sbisa , McCann and Bonino, who was then traded for Sutter when Kesler handcuffed us with a one team trade request. Every trade he's made he's come out on top, name one where he didn't.

Linden Vey -  coulda been Roland McKeown. ..RH defenseman

Sven Baertschi...could been Rasmus Andersson.....stocky RH dman is a ppg in OHL

Adam Clendenning...Forsling is looking to have better promise

Eddy Lack's lack of returns....held out for more when SJ was dangling bigger returns than Carolinas 3rd rnd.....but Jim didn't have stones to trade Lack to same division. 

Bieksa. .....again SJ offered their 2nd(33rd)  which would've brought a good pick like Carlo or Mitchell Stephen, again.....

That's 3 good young promising prospects wasted.....and 2 more chances at high picks...

Not saying bad trades.....just saying poor asset management when at the Season ticket summits I'm told better use of picks

Just sayin.....

On 11/28/2015, 8:34:50, Me_ said:

Firesales are what Arizona did last season's trade deadline in the hopes of finishing dead last and picking up McDavid.

If the Canucks go on and trade Vrbata, Hamhuis and Higgins at the deadline, it isn't a firesale; it's not enough movement to be considered a firesale.

They did get Strome 41pts in 19GP so far from that though and will benefit for years after absolutely FLEECING the NYR on the Yandle deal.  Getting Domi's winger (Duclair) from junior will make their offence scary in a few years

Archived