The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Proposal] Value of David Rundblad

With Hamhuis out and the Canucks already lacking defensive depth, especially on the right side, Blackhawk David Rundblad might be one player Benning could look at.

The former 1st round pick of St.Louis has bounced around a bit in his career but certainly has a lot of potential, and only a 900,000 cap hit at the moment.

Lately, he's found himself out of Chicago's top-6 and either sitting in the press box or playing very limited minutes. 

Rundblad, now 25, has a 112 NHL games under his belt. He's a right handed defenseman at 6'2, 187 pounds. He's more of an offensive defenseman, but has never really had a chance to show that at the NHL level. Last year was his most consistent NHL stint, and he had 14 points in 49 games while averaging only 12 minutes of TOI/G—which was actually 4th on Chicago's blueline behind only Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson. He played sheltered minutes but also boasted a +17 +/-.  So far this year he has 2 points in 8 games, but didn't play between October 29th and December 8th, if you want to talk about inconsistency.

Rundblad has scored high at other levels. In the SEL, at 19, he had amazing 50 points in 55 games. In 2013, at 23, he had 39 points in 50 games for the AHL's Portland Pirates. 

With some strong Swedish mentors in the Sedins and Edler and a consistent stretch on a team with a weaker D-core he might be a project player that works out on a team that is desperate for defensive depth.

Last year, when he was traded to Chicago his value was a late 2nd round pick (and he came with a ECHLer as well). Now, a year older, I would suggest his value is the same or lower.

Possible proposal:

To Chicago: Pitts' 3rd round pick 

To Vancouver: David Rundblad

They could have Weber, or even Weber with some cap retained, if they wanted as well, as Rundblad would more than likely be taking his spot on the d-chart. 

Thoughts?

If you listen to todays interview of Benning, he would rather try players that he has in the system already:  Pedan, Fedun etc.  He didn't name players but he would rather do this before looking outside which comes at a high price.  He sounded like he would look outside if it came to that.

Benning said that teams are starting to have injury issues and are looking for replacements.  Prices are not cheap.  I would expect that Runblad would fetch more than a 3rd at this point.

None of his stats translated in the NHL. Definitely would go for it considering our current situation but that's only if he's available. Hype Weber up as much as possible and package him with a 4th instead. Say Weber's offensive upside from last year would fit in the Blackhawk's system. Just watch Weber tear it up in Chicago. :unsure:

Also Rundblad is a career minus player so that should help negotiations on our side.

It's not so much that he hasn't been given a chance but more that he hasn't been anble to run with any opportunity he has gotten. He's not as strong defensively so if he can't provide offence then he won't keep getting chances.

He's serviceable I guess, and for a 3rd I'd think about it.

I think that's a great idea,

Runblad was highly touted at one point, there is potentially a large payoff for giving him a chance, give him the ball and let him run with it. If he fumbles, I think the potential payoff is worth the risk,

Very good trade suggestion.

The Hawks need cap-space more than anything, so it could  picks they are looking for.

But I believe the swap that gets it done may be Jensen for Runblad, fading potential for fading potential.

Seems fair.

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

If you listen to todays interview of Benning, he would rather try players that he has in the system already:  Pedan, Fedun etc.  He didn't name players but he would rather do this before looking outside which comes at a high price.  He sounded like he would look outside if it came to that.

Benning said that teams are starting to have injury issues and are looking for replacements.  Prices are not cheap.  I would expect that Runblad would fetch more than a 3rd at this point.

I agree with this. But the guy within is probably Hamhuis's replacement on the left side of our D.

Rundblad, a right handed PMD, is a needs based replacement for Weber on the right side of our D.

Its also worth noting Rundblad has finally worked his way into a few games for Chicago. After sitting out for 6 weeks literally.

Its very possible he is being showcased for this very trade? If he does well enough he commands a price again like the OP suggested. If not he's fairly likely to be available on waivers soon after.

Regardless of by trade or by waivers; is still a good option to try a replacement for Weber. And if it does not work > go get a real solution like Byfuglien or Demers in the off season.

54 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

I'm not sold on Rundblad, but, I think that same 3rd round pick may get Tinordi out of Montreal right now

He is another 1st rounder, 23yrs old, 6'6" 230lbs, plays a heavy game and can't get into MTL's lineup and wouldn't clear waivers

You sure about Tinordi? he has had all kind's of opportunities to make Montreal's roster and failed. A lot of Habs fans are saying bust.

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

You sure about Tinordi? he has had all kind's of opportunities to make Montreal's roster and failed. A lot of Habs fans are saying bust.

I hear what you are saying, but just like Rundblad with the Hawks Def., Tinordi has a very hard time getting into that MTL Def.

Tinordi, 23, played 13 games with the Canadiens in 2014-15. He recorded two points (2 assists) and was assessed 19 penalty minutes. He registered 20 hits and 20 blocked shots.

That would be with very limited minutes

i have wanted us to try get him for a while, see what he could maybe do. could we send weber and retain a bit of his salary for a swap for rundblad. Chicago would gain cap as rundblad is under contract for 1 more year.

weber and maybe a small plus if we had too?

21 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

I think that's a great idea,

Runblad was highly touted at one point, there is potentially a large payoff for giving him a chance, give him the ball and let him run with it. If he fumbles, I think the potential payoff is worth the risk,

Very good trade suggestion.

The Hawks need cap-space more than anything, so it could  picks they are looking for.

But I believe the swap that gets it done may be Jensen for Runblad, fading potential for fading potential.

Seems fair.

I would do a Jensen + late pick for Rundblad deal. If Chicago is looking to dump cap, this relieves them off 900,000 going into next year...minimal but something. 

I'm not sure where rundblads value lies and I don't know if chi is still trying to dump bickells contract but it could be like if you want rundblad you have to take Bickell too which id be okay with if they take higgins

to chi: Higgins, 3rd pick 3017

to van: rundblad, bickell

also i like tinordi as a reclamation project, but he's a lefty so unless Sbisa can play full time right side and Hutton plays on the 2nd pair than there really isn't a good fit for tinordi here

Edler-tanev 

hutton-sbisa

tinordi-bartkowski

That's not a promising 2nd and 3rd pairings

7 hours ago, ice orca said:

I hope Benning stays away from Stan/Scottie Bowman...remember Forsling for Clenndening?

It's fine. Forsling flipped for Clendenning. Clendenning + Bonino = Sutter

I'd rather have Sutter than Bonino and Clendenning. We flipped Clendenning for a much better asset in Sutter.

I was a big fan of Rundblad in his draft year and was disappointed when the Blues picked him 5 spots before the Canucks pick. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in to take over for Weber and Bartkowski past this year. Maybe work a trade like Hamhuis 50% retained and Prust for David Rundblad and Chicago's 1rst round pick around the trade deadline.

10 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I was a big fan of Rundblad in his draft year and was disappointed when the Blues picked him 5 spots before the Canucks pick. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in to take over for Weber and Bartkowski past this year. Maybe work a trade like Hamhuis 50% retained and Prust for David Rundblad and Chicago's 1rst round pick around the trade deadline.

I don't see the sense of making trade proposals involving Hamhuis right now. He's out a MINIMUM of 2 months. Which means he may not even be back at the trade deadline. On top of that. The nature of the injury combined with his concussion history could mean he hangs it up altogether. There's just to many question marks around the situation right now. 

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I don't see the sense of making trade proposals involving Hamhuis right now. He's out a MINIMUM of 2 months. Which means he may not even be back at the trade deadline. On top of that. The nature of the injury combined with his concussion history could mean he hangs it up altogether. There's just to many question marks around the situation right now. 

He hangs the up.  Even when healthy, he's not engaged enough to be worth the money he would expect - plus four mil.  We should have traded him sooner.  Vrby should go now too, and any other guys that JB is considering as deadline deals.  It's stupid to hang on to them, and risk injury.  

Archived