The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks stats and Tanking

numb3r 16

6 minutes ago, TheNewGM said:

our two best players were drafted 2,3 over all ? coincidence they have been our best franchise players for ten years  ?

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Exactly, we have some good young players who will become supporting cast but no stars. We need a #1 D and center.

Boeser and Demko may have star potential.

Exactly, and the top of this draft has those players.  We need two top five picks this coming draft.  One will be our own, and one JB has to get via trade.  I think any player should be traded to get one of the Finns.  Then we could get both, or Matthews and Pulijujaarvi?  

Last year was also a good draft year. Their job is to know when a good draft year is coming and prepare for it. Especially when you are clearly rebuilding. Even a player like Sergachev who looks like he will be going between 6 and 10.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

I'm not sure we're watching the same team.  We lost to a lot of those teams already this year -- and in some cases badly.  We are consistently outshot and out-hustled; if the goaltending doesn't get better (and it has been better than we deserve), then the younger, more motivated teams (most of the second group you mention) will pass us by -- the second half of the season is tougher and favours younger teams.  At the start of the year I thought this team might be a little better than last year's team (after all, we replaced players with better players -- i.e., Hutton, Mac, Sutter, even Cracknell) but the defense and the aging core is more of a problem than predicted, with the exception of Hansen and the Sedins.  We will draft in the 3rd to 8th range.

I just don't think this team will sink to the bottom especially when some of the injured players come back.

And yes, on any given night even the Leafs might win.

22 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You are dwelling on semantics. Yes, I am a 'tanker'! Why? I look at the current roster and assess from there. Canucks held on to many vets longer than was warranted considering the prospect depth. A definition of NHL success might be worth a discussion. To me it is about winning a CUP. What I see with the current Canucks is a org that is slowly building prospect depth. The current depth is by no means close to adequate to ensure future CUP contention.

If I am right how does the org move forward? My take is that Van has to draft a franchise player that a future team can build around. That player does not exist in the system from what I can see. Many potential solid NHL players but that is it. By finishing in the bottom 5 of this years draft will yield, hopefully, a franchise player. To maximize the odds to acquire significant players I therefore hope for a bottom finish. That does not mean I do not watch the team and enjoy the progress of the young talent. I watch them with great interest.

So I guess that makes me a 'tanker'. Hopefully Benning moves most of the vets out in February, keeps some key vets for structure, and then takes his pocket full of picks and choses players in June who can accelerate the rebuild of this org. It will be a 4-5 year process. I have been around hockey long enough to realize that this time frame is the most realistic.   

We don't agree then on your first "bolded" statement because if I'm reading you correctly you are saying we have had prospect depth ready to come in. I don't think we have until this season. I want to see us build our prospects up in Utica under Green and that is what is happening now but we can't take short cuts.

Your second bolded statement I'm not sure I agree with either, as I haven't noticed any of your posts cheering for a loss or being butthurt when we get a good result. These are the "tankers" I object to.

I agree that it would be good to get a top 5 pick but I don't equate that with winning the Cup. There are too many instances of it not being a certainty for that to be true. Good drafting and good development is all I'm interested in and if fate dictates a top 5 pick then we take that with our heads held high because it was our due.

For me that means scrapping for every point, every win, every night and letting the dice fall as they may.

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We don't agree then on your first "bolded" statement because if I'm reading you correctly you are saying we have had prospect depth ready to come in. I don't think we have until this season. I want to see us build our prospects up in Utica under Green and that is what is happening now but we can't take short cuts.

Your second bolded statement I'm not sure I agree with either, as I haven't noticed any of your posts cheering for a loss or being butthurt when we get a good result. These are the "tankers" I object to.

I agree that it would be good to get a top 5 pick but I don't equate that with winning the Cup. There are too many instances of it not being a certainty for that to be true. Good drafting and good development is all I'm interested in and if fate dictates a top 5 pick then we take that with our heads held high because it was our due.

For me that means scrapping for every point, every win, every night and letting the dice fall as they may.

Exactly. I am against losing out of principle. I say let the cards fall as they do. I don't want Benning to sacrifice the future and the deadline might be the time to ship out Vrbata and Hamhuis for returns, but I don't support purposely losing.

so badly I want this team to get a top 5, to save years off the rebuild but I don't see it happening. I just don't, the team isn't that bad to get a top 5, so yeah it hurts.

I'm looking towards the future and I honestly believe if we can get a top 5 this year we can save years away from the rebuild. Or atleast just trade veterans and get some picks, I will be fine with playoffs, aslong, as the veterans eg Vrbata and Hamuis are gone. It will be interesting come Feb.

If and I say if we were to tank you would see Hamhuis,Prust,Vrbata the twins and ask Miller,Burr and Higgins if they would want to move and then maybe if we got back atleast 4 firsts,4 minors players and 3 to 4 overpriced bums back,then I would say we are tanking!

I think if any team actually tries to tank they will win pretty easy this year. For the canucks were are a 5 to 6 game slide from being bottom 2 or 3.

At the same time this team is not built to win a playoff series at the moment. We have never been set up better for a retool or whatever they want to call it. The important thing is to make the necessary moves and maximize the result of it.

Some people will be frustrated to see vrbata, hamhuis, etc moved at the deadline rather than re-signed. But i guarantee they will be over it when we have a few more prospects from the draft to be excited about followed by some free agent signings.

Archived