The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Decision Time Is Now or Is It Already Made? Ramblings.

TheGuardian_

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's very astute.  Im thinking we use the Greek origin for theses terms and we get atrocity. :wacko:

Return of a post, & one deemed astute

Had prompted a pun, by a life form-hirsute

As a dream now winds down

'Tis best not to frown

Or philosophers-all, must be rendered moot.

I wonder if after the deadline, and pieces are moved if the roster auditions would be that of Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Pedan or others from Utica, or if post-deadline we sign the likes of Rodin and Tryamkin. The European leagues finish around that time (early March), so it would give us a chance to bring over these guys and audition them in the bigs for the last ~20 games. A one year, one way contract for Rodin would give us the 20 games to burn it and see if he can play. The Tryamkin deal would be a standard ELC, but we'll get the chance to see what he can bring at the end of the season.

I personally would support bringing up Utica guys first, but it's an interesting thought, as to see whether Rodin/Tryamkin could potentially crack the NHL in 20 mean nothing games. 

Anyways, the roster with Vrbata/Hamhuis moved and Rodin/Tryamkin slotting in:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Baertschi  Horvat Rodin
Burrows Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Tryamkin - Biega/Bartkowski

Now the Utica guys:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Baertschi  Horvat Burrows
Shinkaruk Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Pedan - Biega/Bartkowski

Just a thought. 

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I wonder if after the deadline, and pieces are moved if the roster auditions would be that of Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Pedan or others from Utica, or if post-deadline we sign the likes of Rodin and Tryamkin. The European leagues finish around that time (early March), so it would give us a chance to bring over these guys and audition them in the bigs for the last ~20 games. A one year, one way contract for Rodin would give us the 20 games to burn it and see if he can play. The Tryamkin deal would be a standard ELC, but we'll get the chance to see what he can bring at the end of the season.

I personally would support bringing up Utica guys first, but it's an interesting thought, as to see whether Rodin/Tryamkin could potentially crack the NHL in 20 mean nothing games. 

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Baertschi  Horvat Rodin
Burrows Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa

Now the Utica guys:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Shinkaruk Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Pedan - Biega/Bartkowski

Just a thought. 

I like it. Great idea. Better to see what we have than waste icetime on stale vets that have packed it in.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

2 more fer ya Alfy(feelin' the Irish), & then I must trudge on to fight the demons...

Familiarity rules, to just breed contempt

Spontaneity's gone, & our roster's unkempt

Like hourglass-sand

The descent of our brand

Quick peek down at this valley, cos' noone's exempt

Awesome!  Even the fans might have to go!  :shock:. Sad thing is, many fans (so called) will go.  You and me will be here, fighting the demons of 45 years. I know there will be plenty from CDC who will line up with us too.  

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

3 rhymes & 2 speedy-lad that's all ya' need

Set'cher jumbled thought-lines, time now to proceed

But old man, I'm no poet

Word-cache, why I'd blow it!

With a smile on he strolled, having planted a seed.

I will water as needed.:)

59 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

3 rhymes & 2 speedy-lad that's all ya' need

Set'cher jumbled thought-lines, time now to proceed

But old man, I'm no poet

Word-cache, why I'd blow it!

With a smile on he strolled, having planted a seed.

Evaluations too high n low, I'm troubled

Pretense of consequence nuckspectations doubled

For the quest I figured

The last spit could be jiggered

Would seem the hopes o'er to be bubbled

53 minutes ago, Qwags said:

It's been said before, but the most frustrating thing is that if we had two consistent lines, we would be a better team, maybe even a playoff team.

Pretty tough when we don't have a legit second line.  First line is also dropping in production. Hank has 24 pts this year 5 vs 5  in 50 games played - 60th in league scoring

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Awesome!  Even the fans might have to go!  :shock:. Sad thing is, many fans (so called) will go.  You and me will be here, fighting the demons of 45 years. I know there will be plenty from CDC who will line up with us too.  

I'll be here. Been a canuck fan long before the internet, before pc's existed, damn near back when dinosaurs walked the earth. My one goal in life , at least sports related is to see the home side hoist the cup. 

cheers :)

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

2 more fer ya Alfy(feelin' the Irish), & then I must trudge on to fight the demons...

Familiarity rules, to just breed contempt

Spontaneity's gone, & our roster's unkempt

Like hourglass-sand

The descent of our brand

Quick peek down at this valley, cos' noone's exempt

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

Evaluations too high n low, I'm troubled

Pretense of consequence nuckspectations doubled

For the quest I figured

The last spit could be jiggered

Would seem the hopes o'er to be bubbled

Well done lads, always a pleasure to see a little intellect sprinkled amongst the tripe.

12 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Baertschi  Horvat Rodin
Burrows Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa

Now the Utica guys:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Shinkaruk Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Pedan - Biega/Bartkowski

Just a thought. 

In principle, what you suggest is intriguing.  There are a couple of things line up wise that I wrestle with once Vrbata is moved. 

1. top 6 RW is not the best
  2. there are too many centres and I don't like McCann being left out of the line up

Rodin may very well fit into the top 6 but as with Baertschi, I'm not sure we can just plug him in there.  That would be an easy fix if it worked out.

I think that Burrows has hit the wall.  By his hockey smarts he may make himself useful through to the end of his contract.  He provides leadership as well.  But his production has fallen off and he's not as quick as he used to be.  I just don't see him back in the top 6.

What is Vey without Etem?  These 2 have great chemistry and as a line, look dangerous every night.  My question is, would he be as effective playing with other line mates or even on the wing?  I'd like to try Vey on the Horvat line.  They looked good as a power play unit and scored against Columbus.  Vey is starting to show that he can be an effective player down low if he can find players to pass to (he has shown this with Etem).

Sutter is far too skilled to be on the 4th line.  I think that in the absence of Vrbata, he could play RW with the Sedins.  He could take strong side face offs and take some of the load off Hank who has struggled on the dot due to his injury.  He has shown that he has the skills to be productive with the twins.

Moving Sutter and/or Vey to the wing opens up room for McCann to play and they can still use Cracknell and his heavier game, which they like, on the 4th line.

As for next year, the resurrection of Vey gives them the option of sending McCann to Utica.  I'm not convinced this is the thing to do but it is an option.  Either that, or somebody is trade bait.

13 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Baertschi  Horvat Rodin
Burrows Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa

Now the Utica guys:

Sedin Sedin Hansen
Shinkaruk Vey Etem
Dorsett Sutter Virtanen
(McCann)

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa
Pedan - Biega/Bartkowski

Just a thought. 

That's very possible if nothing else becomes available, why not? It all depends on returns and trade availability. That certainly brings in the right type of players. 

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Those are the things he wants, but he thinks he can get those elite pieces later on the rounds at the draft.  He may not move any pieces, because of his one flaw - arrogance.  Which is tragic for the organization, because they will be destined to mediocracy- just as those drafted in the middle of the rounds can be predicted to play: mediocre.

Not a Benning fan I take it? I don't see him holding off on a good deal if one becomes available. 

I can think of a few GM's holding Stanley Cup rings who are considered arrogant by many.

3 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

I'll be here. Been a canuck fan long before the internet, before pc's existed, damn near back when dinosaurs walked the earth. My one goal in life , at least sports related is to see the home side hoist the cup. 

cheers :)

I think us old timers were Canucks fans from the day of the wheel of impending doom.  When we lost Gilbert Perrault to Buffalo, it foreshadowed years of failure to come - including three Cup finals, where we finished second. 

Pit could be worse though: WE COULD BE LEAFS FANS! :shock:

15 hours ago, Alflives said:

Those are the things he wants, but he thinks he can get those elite pieces later on the rounds at the draft.  He may not move any pieces, because of his one flaw - arrogance.  Which is tragic for the organization, because they will be destined to mediocracy- just as those drafted in the middle of the rounds can be predicted to play: mediocre.

I think that Benning is more of a developer than a drafter.

Call it arrogance but he thinks that he can draft players with the God given skills that he wants, speed, tenacity, good shot and the right kind of character at age 17 and if he has them for up to 8 years by the time they hit their prime, he can turn them into good players.

Let's look at his development record with the Canucks (it's only 2 years)

Horvat, his one shortcoming was speed, he's been coached up on that, no longer an issue

Vey, looked like a wash out in April and again in October, not so much now.  He's resurrecting the game that made him effective in junior and in the AHL which is strong down low and good distribution.  I'm not saying he's "strong" but he's all over the puck below the hash marks.

Baertschi, found his confidence, good defensive play, he's a smaller player and takes a good lick every now and then but comes back and still plays his game.  A keeper.

Gaunce, speed no longer an issue

Zalewski, where did this guy come from?  A year ago he looked like a wash out, now he's the hottest thing in Utica and has a very good shot at making the Canucks next year.

Others (and all of the above) are works in progress.

The trick moving forward is keeping Travis Green in the system.  I give him a lot of credit but I also don't forget who is in charge.  That is Jim Benning.

Edit:  Oops, forgot Markstrom

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think us old timers were Canucks fans from the day of the wheel of impending doom.  When we lost Gilbert Perrault to Buffalo, it foreshadowed years of failure to come - including three Cup finals, where we finished second. 

Pit could be worse though: WE COULD BE LEAFS FANS! :shock:

As much as I liked Dale Tallon( at least a little bit)  that wheel set our destiny in motion.  I'll never forget watching the French connection line and wishing that wheel spin had turned out differently.  

Archived