The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

He's a great skater no matter what size he is.

You'll see come training camp.

He isn't a great skater. It is impossible to be a great skater for his size. Good for his size but even NHL players like Lucic, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Backes aren't considered great skaters then no way Lain is.

He isn't a great skater. It is impossible to be a great skater for his size. Good for his size but even NHL players like Lucic, Kopitar, Getzlaf, Backes aren't considered great skaters then no way Lain is.

When he's flying by other skaters at the AHL level, yes he is.

I've watched him play so I know he's a great skater. But if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Laurence Gilman:

“He’s a 6-foot-6, 220-pound centre with decent puck skills who plays with edge and is a very good skater. Those type of players don’t just grow on trees. We were very fortunate to get him, he was highly sought after.”

Again, you'll see in training camp.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

I more interested in seeing Gauncer at main camp. I think that he excels playing with fast players, because he's a very good passer and responsible Defensively. Hope he plays tomorrow with Jensen and either Franson or Shink.

Likely, If each player is either getting 2 or 3 games (3 for a lot of the hyped guys) I see them splitting Shinkaruk and Horvat up for the last two games. Gaunce will more than likely get both games and I could see him getting Shinkaruk for a game and Jensen for another.

When he's flying by other skaters at the AHL level, yes he is.

I've watched him play so I know he's a great skater. But if you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Laurence Gilman:

Again, you'll see in training camp.

Are you talking about an AHL level of great skating or NHL? He isn't NHL great skating.

Very good or great?

Edited by Plum

I think most people are confusing Gaunces lack of activity for a lack of mobility. Gaunce doesn't move around all that much but his actual mobility is fine. Notice how rarely he is out of defensive position and how hes almost never actually caught flat footed. He reads the play extremely well, and has tremendous physical tools. I think at the NHL level hes going to have to become a little less cerebral and a little more instinctual but people seem to really be underrating his effectiveness.

Also Kellan Lain is VERY mobile for a guy his size, and great skater is not an unreasonble description. Hes a phenomenal skater for his size.

I think most people are confusing Gaunces lack of activity for a lack of mobility. Gaunce doesn't move around all that much but his actual mobility is fine. Notice how rarely he is out of defensive position and how hes almost never actually caught flat footed. He reads the play extremely well, and has tremendous physical tools. I think at the NHL level hes going to have to become a little less cerebral and a little more instinctual but people seem to really be underrating his effectiveness.

Also Kellan Lain is VERY mobile for a guy his size, and great skater is not an unreasonble description. Hes a phenomenal skater for his size.

To a degree I think Lain is flying under the radar. Adjusting from college to pro play is a challenge. Fans should watch his camp this fall. He skates well, protects the puck and his simply hugh.

That is a video, #39 on Chicago. Great is a strong word.

Looked pretty good to me. Might be a bit slow on his crossovers but gets around quite good. Granted, when you're watching a video with most of the time spent on faceoffs and defensive plays, you don't get a great picture if he's not skating on breakouts all that time.

You're thinking people are describing him like he's Patty Kane or something. We're not, just that he's a pretty good considering he's 6'6". He's physical, strong on faceoffs, defensively responsible and can bang around the net so he offers a lot for the 4th line center role and was likely a part of the decision to let Lappy go.

Edited by elvis15

That could work as long as he sees some time on the third line....no point in keeping him with the Canucks at this point if he is going to be getting under 10 minutes playing time per game.

I do believe Ryan O'Reilly started out on the 4th line and he turned out OK.

I would say he has shown top 6 skill in the prospects tournament ( I mean one can expect his ceiling as a 2C)-check out his assist to Maillet today and the tip pass he made to start off the rush- the only concern is his speed- and he looked better today.

Edited by canuckfan85

I think the lack of activity itself is a problem because he has terrible acceleration.

He is prone to getting caught flat footed because he lacks the acceleration to catch up to the play that already developed when he was not moving his feet but gliding. Obviously as a big guy, he can glide and cover more ice surface, but since his acceleration is not at the NHL level, he should keep his feet moving.

After watching a few games of Gaunce this year and last I was trying to figure out who he most compares to in the NHL. I figured it out...Taylor Pyatt. Identical

Both big guys that lack foot speed, both have a good release with limited puck handling skills, both having good hockey knowledge and it even looks more and more that Gaunce is better suited to the wing like Taylor Pyatt. The other funny thing is that while both being big guys neither is really physical. Heck they even look similar with the young looking pretty face thing.

While Gaunce will probably make the NHL one day I'm guessing he'll be a journeyman Taylor Pyatt type 3rd line winger/centerman. Put up 10-15 goals a year and not be a liability yet not really do anything great. The slow foot speed and lack of physicality doesn't bode well for being an impact player in the NHL. As a Canuck fan I'd love to be proved wrong but I don't see much more out of Gaunce.