The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

• 2 weeks later...

That kind of sucks.

Bonino's first season with the Pens...wins the Stanley Cup.

Sutter's first season with the Canucks.....injured early in the season, comes back for a few games, and then injured again...

What a bad season for the guy.

I have faith in him. He's a Sutter; Sutters never fail. And I'm sure he'll make his family name proud. I can't wait for the season and see what he can truly bring. He's been good despite his short season so I'm very excited.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see Sutter split shutdown assignments with Bo at a 60/40 rate.  It would be interesting if the two switched wingers situationally, starting with guys like Burrows, Dorsett and even Hansen in D zone starts, and moving to guys like Sven, Rodin and Ericksson for O zone starts.  That's way too AV for Willie, I know, but it would be one way to determine what these guys are capable of offensively when given more offensive wingers. 

Sutter was lethal with the twins on the pp but there's probably not much chance of that happening again with Ericksson on board.  Much as I want to see Bo and Sven play together, Sutter could clearly benefit from his playmaking too.  Sharing these opportunities situationally would be a pretty fair way to give each of them a chance. 

On 2016-05-29 at 11:12 PM, Outsiders said:

Hopefully Sutter can stay healthy for the full 82 next season. Feel like he is capable of putting up 40 points, so I wanna see him go out and do it.

I agree, but i think he could do anywhere between 40-60pts. He was going at a pretty good clip last year until he was injured. If he was healthy all season last year he would have put up about 55pts. If WD were to put Virtanen and Granlund with Sutter, this might be a sweet line.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd like to see Sutter split shutdown assignments with Bo at a 60/40 rate.  It would be interesting if the two switched wingers situationally, starting with guys like Burrows, Dorsett and even Hansen in D zone starts, and moving to guys like Sven, Rodin and Ericksson for O zone starts.  That's way too AV for Willie, I know, but it would be one way to determine what these guys are capable of offensively when given more offensive wingers. 

Sutter was lethal with the twins on the pp but there's probably not much chance of that happening again with Ericksson on board.  Much as I want to see Bo and Sven play together, Sutter could clearly benefit from his playmaking too.  Sharing these opportunities situationally would be a pretty fair way to give each of them a chance. 

I suspect Sutter will be the 2C and Horvat the 3C at the beginning of the season. I say that because Van's FO% was one of the worst in the NHL last year. Sutter can take 2C draws which should allow Horvat a easier opponent. I expect Horvat will get his points this year but want him to regain his confidence on the d-side of the game. He has had a tough first 2 years in the sense that he has been rushed into situations.

All this considered if either of these players get hot I expect WD will line juggle to accommodate that.   

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I suspect Sutter will be the 2C and Horvat the 3C at the beginning of the season. I say that because Van's FO% was one of the worst in the NHL last year. Sutter can take 2C draws which should allow Horvat a easier opponent. I expect Horvat will get his points this year but want him to regain his confidence on the d-side of the game. He has had a tough first 2 years in the sense that he has been rushed into situations.

All this considered if either of these players get hot I expect WD will line juggle to accommodate that.   

I'd like to see Sutter as our everyday 2C for two reasons.

1) We really get to see what we have in Sutter and re-evaluate at the end of the season, as to whether he can play 2C or is, truly,      a 3C.

2) Management needs to slow down Bo's playing time. Yes, he got his share of points but he really was lacking on the defensive        side. He slots in nicely at 3C where he isn't pressured to produce big numbers and can concentrate more on rounding out his         game. I believe he has so much more to offer this team and he's far from peaking. I would've preferred him to be in the AHL         after his first season (much like Virtanen now) but that's no longer an option. I think 10-12 minutes a game in an every day             third line will make him more effective and, imo, make him better in the long run, taking over 2C in a couple seasons on a full         time basis.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, komodo0921 said:

I'd like to see Sutter as our everyday 2C for two reasons.

1) We really get to see what we have in Sutter and re-evaluate at the end of the season, as to whether he can play 2C or is, truly,      a 3C.

2) Management needs to slow down Bo's playing time. Yes, he got his share of points but he really was lacking on the defensive        side. He slots in nicely at 3C where he isn't pressured to produce big numbers and can concentrate more on rounding out his         game. I believe he has so much more to offer this team and he's far from peaking. I would've preferred him to be in the AHL         after his first season (much like Virtanen now) but that's no longer an option. I think 10-12 minutes a game in an every day             third line will make him more effective and, imo, make him better in the long run, taking over 2C in a couple seasons on a full         time basis.

I think you are asking a critical question for the center position. Totally agree that Benning has to know where Sutter fits and the injury last year put that assessment back a season. I have no doubt that Horvat will be the 2C on a CUP contending roster. IMHO the org still does not have the 1C prospect they have to have when Henrik retires.

I am quite comfortable with Horvat's TOI at 14 - 16 minutes based on his 2ndPP time.  

• 1 month later...

I'm really excited to see Sutter play more this year. I was a huge fan of the trade when we made it, and even picked him up in my hockey pool until he went out the first time. He was putting up decent numbers (albeit with the twins), winning faceoffs and looked strong defensively. I'm really curious to see who ends up being his linemates, and if he slots into the 2nd or 3rd line. If Sutter can provide the services that Benning believed he can through out the year it will make our team much more interesting this season.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I'm really excited to see Sutter play more this year. I was a huge fan of the trade when we made it, and even picked him up in my hockey pool until he went out the first time. He was putting up decent numbers (albeit with the twins), winning faceoffs and looked strong defensively. I'm really curious to see who ends up being his linemates, and if he slots into the 2nd or 3rd line. If Sutter can provide the services that Benning believed he can through out the year it will make our team much more interesting this season.

i think with the way Bo developed and excelled last year. it makes sense to me to put him on the second line centre and continue to develop his offensive game as well as his defensive game. Sutter to me is your typical third line shutdown centreman. would give Desjardins a lot of flexibility. i actually can see Horvat and Sutter switching between the second and third lines throughout the year. But knowing Willie. he's going to put Bo on the third line with limited offensive chances. which only means that he'd be lucky to even reach the 40 point plateau this season. #firewillie

Edited by N4ZZY

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

i think with the way Bo developed and excelled last year. it makes sense to me to put him on the second line centre and continue to develop his offensive game as well as his defensive game. Sutter to me is your typical third line shutdown centreman. would give Desjardins a lot of flexibility. i actually can see Horvat and Sutter switching between the second and third lines throughout the year. But knowing Willie. he's going to put Bo on the third line with limited offensive chances. which only means that he'd be lucky to even reach the 40 point plateau this season. #firewillie

You want Willie fired because he'll likely shelter Bo just a little bit longer? Bo's game was garbage in the first half of last season after being thrust into more responsibility than he was ready for. He definitely turned it around (he's a real beaut) but he could use the kid gloves a bit longer. Let him earn the 2C spot; he'll overthrow Suttsy in due time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

You want Willie fired because he'll likely shelter Bo just a little bit longer? Bo's game was garbage in the first half of last season after being thrust into more responsibility than he was ready for. He definitely turned it around (he's a real beaut) but he could use the kid gloves a bit longer. Let him earn the 2C spot; he'll overthrow Suttsy in due time.

Bo will be played like he's Manny Malhotra and it'll be up to him to shelter the second line and somehow be relied to do it with plugs like Dorsett and Etem on his line.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Why doesn't Sutter have to earn it?  They have similar "bests" in points.  Myself, I would stop short of firing Willie, but I would have him on a short leash.  Bo should have every opportunity to be 2C...the exact same opportunity as Sutter...who has done nothing in my view to show he is a 2C himself.  From Willie's comments at the end of last season, Bo will be pigeonholed in a defensive role.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

No. I don't want Willie fired for sheltering Bo a little longer. But I think Bo's showed in the second half of last season, that he's capable of that top six forwrad. Sutter, in my opinion, is more suited for the third line centreman. He's been used there in that position and role for basically all of his career. To expect much more, I'm not sure is realistic. I agree that Bo will eventually take over from Sutter in that second line centre position. 40 points in his second professional season from a 21 year old isn't earning it yet? I'm not sure what is. If Bo had a solid (not even spectacular) first half of last year he would have eclipsed 50 points. 

• 2 weeks later...

On September 12, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Hahaha you know it is like getting a new guy. We hardly had him on the ice last year. This will be good to see how he stabilizes the minutes between the lines. 

Heard Sutter was giving up #21 to Eriksson, and will wear #20... Hopefully not too many fans bought a Sutter Jersey last year ;) 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody talking about Sutter?  The guy is looking really good so far and appears to be coming back with a vengeance after that horrible, injury laden season last year.

He plays such a 'heavy' game and can score as well.  He's mostly a crash the net kind of player, but with that speed he really can be effective at both ends. 

Anyone think Bo has a very similar game?   They're not play-making Cs by any means, but have that power forward thingy going on.  Defensive workhorses that can score.  These are the players that win important games for a team.

• Upvote 2