The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brandon Sutter | #20 | C

-SN-

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Benning just on 1040 left the door open for a Sutter trade.

He sees Gaudette as a centre, he has never played wing and they don’t intend to slide him over.

When asked if it is safe to speculate about Sutter being moved, he said it is fair to speculate since that is their job.  It was a very different answer than when asked about Edler and he shut the door pretty firmly talking about what Edler brought to the team going forward.

I suspect that Sutter is not on this team by next season.  It makes little sense for him to slide to the wing either since we have a surplus of bottom six wingers.

More likely in the off season due to his NTC changing to a limited one.  But I wouldn’t rule out a deadline move.  If Sutter is told he is not in the long term plans, then why wouldn’t he want an extra playoff run with a new team largely of his chooosing.  

Two years past past this one make a cap retention a tough pill to swallow... but it sure would give him serious trade value to a contender that doesn’t have a lot of cap space to play with.  

At the beginning of the year I was firmly in the "don't trade Sutter corner" thinking we needed him to take some hard minutes. Now with Beagle playing well and Gaudette on his way up at some point I am all over the trade Sutter train.

I would be all over retaining cap if we are able to get a good young D or D prospect that is close to being NHL ready. I hope JB is able to find a dance partner for a trade. I do believe Sutter would be valuable to some teams hoping to go far in the playoffs.

Thought Sutter had a better game against the Avs. No offense and he's starting to look awfully slow (injury effect?), but still a soilid performance with good positioning, smart plays etc.

Still think his days here are numbered, though.

4 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Sutter with the most TOI last night for forwards ! Green seems to like him way more than some CDCers. Funny how that works !

green’s job is to put the players out that gives the team the best chance to win. if we were coaches and didn’t do that, we wouldn’t be coaching for very long. 

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Retention on Sutter + Pouliot for Bura and Bowey? ::D

If Sutter's going to have any value, he's going to have to prove over the next two to three weeks that he's back to the Sutter of old. The good news is, he looked pretty good last night. Hopefully, it continues. 

I don't believe Washington would have much interest in Pouliot at all. Pouliot has proven to be prone to defensive gaffes and poor judgment. In the postseason, one bad play can cost a season. 

The fact that Benning's already made inquiries on Burokovsky and nothing came of it, tells me that the ask was too high, certainly more than Sutter or Pouliot.

The price may come down as the deadline gets closer but I still think it would take more than Sutter or Pouliot.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

If Sutter's going to have any value, he's going to have to prove over the next two to three weeks that he's back to the Sutter of old. The good news is, he looked pretty good last night. Hopefully, it continues. 

I don't believe Washington would have much interest in Pouliot at all. Pouliot has proven to be prone to defensive gaffes and poor judgment. In the postseason, one bad play can cost a season. 

The fact that Benning's already made inquiries on Burokovsky and nothing came of it, tells me that the ask was too high, certainly more than Sutter or Pouliot.

The price may come down as the deadline gets closer but I still think it would take more than Sutter or Pouliot.

First, I doubt a Sutter trade happens. Feels like a summer/next year move.. but we'll see.

Not to worried about his value. GMs know what type of player he is and I have little doubt his play will improve as he shakes off further rust. As you said, he looked good last night.

Not going to presume to know what WAS wants but Bowey has been spending some time in the press box, no reason Pouliot couldn't replace him there as a cheap, warm, club controlled body. We'd also need to clear D to fit Bowey in. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

green’s job is to put the players out that gives the team the best chance to win. if we were coaches and didn’t do that, we wouldn’t be coaching for very long. 

Was in total agreement with Green. Was taking a mild shot at some CDCers !

I like Sutter and what he brings in faceoffs and defensive play.  But with Beagle playing well and Gaudette soon to be on the regular roster, Sutter has to find a way to score as well.  Otherwise, we have his skillset covered.  His cap and potential value in a trade scenario make it clear to me what Bennimg should do if there are any takers.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because he is too good a player to need to do that. I could see talking another contract back of some sort but i dont think we need to fire sale him. 

It's not a reflection of him being a good or bad player. Most contenders wouldn't be able to fit his current salary in. Retaining (and/or taking back lesser quality salary) allows then to do so, while also increasing any potential trade return.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's not a reflection of him being a good or bad player. Most contenders wouldn't be able to fit his current salary in. Retaining (and/or taking back lesser quality salary) allows then to do so, while also increasing any potential trade return.

i know, i was just goofing. Just tired of some of the sillier trade ideas for him. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

i know, i was just goofing. Just tired of some of the sillier trade ideas for him. 

Yeah come to think of it, if we're retaining, I might want a pick or something with that.

He's certainly not the low trade value trash many on CDC seem to think he is. That's for sure.