The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

5-6 years. Although he has to also show Gudbranson that there is a reason to re-sign in Vancouver.

Agreed.  I might be reading too much into it, but Guddy seems to like the city and participating in the organization's efforts off the ice as well.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I am really hoping we get him locked up long term before the end of the year.  He has had a very positive impact on our D, and is just entering his prime.  I could see him being a real fan favorite for many years.

Same. He's a smart, calm, and capable defenseman who is quick to right his errors. Yesterday he was walked by a Minnesota player, but he hustled back to catch up to them as they zeroed in on Nilsson. Needless to say, they were intercepted.

As well, his nerves don't get jangled. Zucker gave Gudbranson a solid shoulder check that surprised him, and instead of getting steamed and trying to install a new face on Zucker, he calmly gained position and boxed him out. I do notice that the opposing team is far less likely to rush the net or put up shop in front of the net with him there.

A great addition to the defense which truly shows Benning's multifaceted approach to building a solid defensive core.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. He's a smart, calm, and capable defenseman who is quick to right his errors. Yesterday he was walked by a Minnesota player, but he hustled back to catch up to them as they zeroed in on Nilsson. Needless to say, they were intercepted.

As well, his nerves don't get jangled. Zucker gave Gudbranson a solid shoulder check that surprised him, and instead of getting steamed and trying to install a new face on Zucker, he calmly gained position and boxed him out. I do notice that the opposing team is far less likely to rush the net or put up shop in front of the net with him there.

A great addition to the defense which truly shows Benning's multifaceted approach to building a solid defensive core.

Absolutely, Phil.  I also think he's exactly the kind of player you want on a team that will be introducing young players to the NHL in the upcoming years. 

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

I am really hoping we get him locked up long term before the end of the year.  He has had a very positive impact on our D, and is just entering his prime.  I could see him being a real fan favorite for many years.

Agreed! His presence has an impact on the entire team and it's something the opposition has to respect. If we don't get him locked up it would be a mistake.

Just now, aGENT said:

I'm just glad I hopefully can stop explaining why I was wanting to trade for him even before we did.

You win with players like Guddy, sparkling stats or not.

but......but.........how else do you determine a player's worth without crunching numbers and zone starts and exits? And what about the PDO? Fenwick? Corsi?

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely, Phil.  I also think he's exactly the kind of player you want on a team that will be introducing young players to the NHL in the upcoming years. 

11 hours ago, aliboy said:

Agreed! His presence has an impact on the entire team and it's something the opposition has to respect. If we don't get him locked up it would be a mistake.

Gudbranson has been effective as previously mentioned, with the puck. Very few times in this young season have I seen him get his pocket picked.

Having a player like him on the team gives the entire roster more presence. The confidence has permeated the entire roster, and players like Dorsett and Virtanen are also making their presence felt. There are less and less instances of players backing down in the face of the opposition trying to physically dominate.

It remains to be seen how the team will play against high flying, offensively driven teams, but I have a feeling the Canucks will play every team they meet this season with the same intensity and physicality they have in the last four. The consistency may wane, but hopefully the general tone of play will remain.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

Guddy is starting to look like I hoped he would. Strong player who is fairly reliable defensively. As he continues to mature, he's only going to get better and better. I feel like there's an opportunity for a long-time Canuck in Gudbranson.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Guddy is starting to look like I hoped he would. Strong player who is fairly reliable defensively. As he continues to mature, he's only going to get better and better. I feel like there's an opportunity for a long-time Canuck in Gudbranson.

I think it all hinges on his choice. I'm pretty certain (although not totally) that Benning and Linden want him to sign.

37 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think it will come down to money - Gudbranson and his camp will be demanding first-line-D money.

200w_d.gif

16 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not likely.  Typically only dmen with offensive numbers can demand and expect it.

42 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I think it will come down to money - Gudbranson and his camp will be demanding first-line-D money.

200w_d.gif

I think he is entitled to  1st line D-money and his camp will be foolish not to demand term and money. 

And thats ok.

Personally, i think 1D pay scale starts at $5M. Goes up to ~ 8M range. There are teams out there giving 1D time and money to 5-ish million dollars per.

IMO, Guddy would probably be looking at 4.5-5M for 6 years. And i'd say he is worth every penny when he is on the ice. 

I see him in a bit of 'Willie Mitchell money' zone and it lines up IMO. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not likely.  Typically only dmen with offensive numbers can demand and expect it.

They're ready to mention the following:

• leadership - he's supposedly Captain material
  • size
  • physicality - they think this is missing in the Canucks' lineup
  • demand for his services - Florida wants him back
  • marketability - gotta admit it, the guy's got good looks
  • his still remaining potential as evidenced by where he was drafted

All that said, if the Canucks get him signed for between 4 to 4.5 million per year, I'm Gud with that.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver

9 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

They're ready to mention the following:

• leadership - he's supposedly Captain material
  • size
  • physicality - they think this is missing in the Canucks' lineup
  • demand for his services - Florida wants him back
  • marketability - gotta admit it, the guy's got good looks
  • his still remaining potential as evidenced by where he was drafted

All that said, if the Canucks get him signed for between 4 to 4.5 million per year, I'm Gud with that.

Really? Because these guys are male models?

tumblr_olhxz25caQ1vdnw68o1_500.jpg

milan.jpg

SNC_chara_1000th_032412_CSNNE1500kMP4_64

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? Because these guys are male models?

You shouldn't just quote out-of-context like that - as you can see, I put it low on my list. But fyi, among other things, here are some questions the sports agent asks:

• how does my client bring more wins to the team
  • how does my client compare to the other players in terms of production
  • how does my client add revenue to the team

That last question should not be ignored. Even though it's not the only factor, good looks results in more advertising dollars, more sales of jerseys, more sales of tickets. It opens up a market (e.g., female market) that may be previously not tapped enough. It's similar to how race plays a factor as well in marketability as well. If a particular country is under-represented in a certain sport and all of a sudden, a person from that country makes it, that team's jersey sales go up for that particular country. I know this first-hand, btw.

• Upvote 1

Guddy's been good so far this season.  If he's willing to sign an extension now, that's great, but at his age, my guess is he's going to want a long-term deal and a relatively high $ as possible so I have a feeling that he will test the market. 

Guddy could re-sign in Vancouver of course, but my guess is that he'll test the market.  If rumors are true, Florida could be quite interested in bringing him back.  It doesn't seem like he ever really intended to leave there so that could be a pull factor especially if he had already begun to set down roots there.  Having Guddy there might also help to take some pressure off of Ekblad if they are confident about giving Guddy the tougher defensive assignments (or at least sharing them with Ekblad).

At this point, would love to see Guddy back in the fold here as the Canucks do not have anyone who plays the same type of game and who has the physical tools.  If he's going to ask for the moon however, then that might not work out.  If Guddy stays healthy and continues his play, I can see the Canucks being more willing to offer a reasonably high dollar value and long term contract though, particularly as they start trying to bring in more young players (and especially Juolevi).

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You shouldn't just quote out-of-context like that - as you can see, I put it low on my list. But fyi, among other things, here are some questions the sports agent asks:

• how does my client bring more wins to the team
  • how does my client compare to the other players in terms of production
  • how does my client add revenue to the team

I'll quote how I see fit, just as you'll post as you see fit. If anyone wanted context, they can view your post, which outside of the good looks bullet, was pretty succinct.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That last question should not be ignored. Even though it's not the only factor, good looks results in more advertising dollars, more sales of jerseys, more sales of tickets. It opens up a market (e.g., female market) that may be previously not tapped enough. It's similar to how race plays a factor as well in marketability as well. If a particular country is under-represented in a certain sport and all of a sudden, a person from that country makes it, that team's jersey sales go up for that particular country. I know this first-hand, btw.

I can see Gudbranson's marketability being based on his size, character, physical play, GAA, GFA, and a flurry of intangibles, such as the way the team plays with a noticeable uptick in confidence when his skates hit the ice.

That's something that's been sorely lacking on the team and throughout it's culture since Bieksa was traded. As well, while Gudbranson is, for all intents and purposes, a man of pulchritude, he was noticeably absent at the media availability scrum at the beginning of the year, and hasn't factored very much into the post game video much, except before the Buffalo game, for obvious reasons. On the flip-side of that, I see you're point in how the Canucks did market him in the Pepsi commercial, what with him speaking about the proposal from the girl with the sign, so I could see it being offered up as a bargaining point, although a very minute one.

It would be a worthwhile exercise for those interested in compiling statistics, to attend a game and determine based on the name on the back of the jersey being worn in the stands, which players are preferred, how demographics break down based on each player.

I personally don't see looks factoring a huge amount in to a hockey player's new contract, not nearly as much as say an actor or even a basketball or soccer player, where helmets and padding wouldn't be a factor in obscuring the individual.