The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

They'll miss Pedan in that department. They have Sautner at 6'0", Negrin at 6'2" and Shields at 6'3" after that though. Oh, and Nilsson is 6'0" but he plays a physical style. The downside is that the four you named will get the bulk of the minutes down there so it'll be a pretty small group every night regardless... Shields is the only bigger guy penciled in as a regular.

Yeah I figured that Shields would be one of the regulars but hard for him to shoulder the size weight.  Utica does have a sizeable front forward group, but in the defensive zone, the battles in front of the net will be quite the errand run for Backman and Demko.

• 2 weeks later...

So the 2016-17 Utica Comets training camp has finally started. Current roster up (including player bios) on their website: http://www.uticacomets.com/team

Also, "Bad Goalie" from HFboards has posted the roster and some camp observations: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=122704155&postcount=862

Looks like there are two new tryouts on the Comets camp roster (in addition to the guys continuing on from Canucks camp): North Vancouver's Travis Ewanyk (a 10+ fights/100+ PIM per season type) and Stephen Perfetto (Lake Superior State product who put-up 48 points last season in the ECHL as the 2nd leading scorer for the Alaska Aces).

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So the 2016-17 Utica Comets training camp has finally started. Current roster up (including player bios) on their website: http://www.uticacomets.com/team

Also, "Bad Goalie" from HFboards has posted the roster and some camp observations: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=122704155&postcount=862

Looks like there are two new tryouts on the Comets camp roster (in addition to the guys continuing on from Canucks camp): North Vancouver's Travis Ewanyk (a 10+ fights/100+ PIM per season type) and Stephen Perfetto (Lake Superior State product who put-up 48 points last season in the ECHL as the 2nd leading scorer for the Alaska Aces).

Competition is good at the AHL level too, I guess. The forward group is pretty crowded for spots when you factor in D'Aoust, Roy, and Moynihan, plus those two guys. Maybe Ewanyk can be this season's John Kurtz, but I can't see pure toughness supplanting anyone in the lineup.

I'm hoping Carcone shows well in Utica's camp too and earns a regular spot, I think he's clearly ahead of Laplante at this point and probably Valk as well.

On 26/09/2016 at 11:32 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yeah I figured that Shields would be one of the regulars but hard for him to shoulder the size weight.  Utica does have a sizeable front forward group, but in the defensive zone, the battles in front of the net will be quite the errand run for Backman and Demko.

They also have McEneny at 6'3" and 215.  He played in Kalamazoo last year and played well - plus 17 - he played well in Penticton in the Young Stars in the single game they gave him.

27 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Canucks Now @CanucksNow 7m7 minutes ago

Mike Zalewski, Jason Megna, Michael Chaput, and Andrey Pedan have all cleared waivers and will go to Utica. #Canucks

Comets Army @CometsArmy 4m4 minutes ago

Guys, I don't want to get your hopes up, but I iderably biggerons cthink we're gonna be pretty good #CometsArmy

comets D just got considerably bigger

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Mike Zalewski, Jason Megna, Michael Chaput, and Andrey Pedan have all cleared waivers and will go to Utica. #Canucks

Guys, I don't want to get your hopes up, but I think we're gonna be pretty good #CometsArmy

They should have a good team this year. Imagine Virt might be joining them shortly as well as one of Biega/Stetcher. Maybe even Skille if he'll accept a 2 way and clears.

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Guys, I don't want to get your hopes up, but I think we're gonna be pretty good #CometsArmy

I want Utica to make a solid run at the Calder this year. Green has some talent and does well with it. I suspect Vancouver gets a another top 5 draft pick again this year. With the anticipated graduates from Utica the core for a CUP contender should be in place next summer.  

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Any word on the roster tonight?

Nothing yet but I expect it to be filled with mainly guys on camp invites and signed players that are on the bubble of making the Comets or being sent to Alaska. Likely a few more regulars tomorrow. There is a lot more depth this year compared to last so the competition for a roster spot will be fierce.

Archived