The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

22 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Is he playing well though? Well enough to deserve a call up to the NHL?

He is frequently on the wrong side of goals being scored and 8 assists in 22 games isn't exactly outstanding contribution offensively. 

Rafferty will get the call up long before Juolevi

I don't think he's ready for a callup now and the poster was suggesting that if he continues to progress that he could get a look later on. With that said, Boucher is leading the AHL, but I doubt he gets a look at the NHL level (and players have been called up before him with "lesser" stats). Rafferty is deserving of a look, but there have been many players that have look good in the AHL and couldn't translate it to the NHL.

18 hours ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

Why can't we just be happy that we have both Juolevi and Rafferty? 

Edler is close to retirement and Juolevi could fill his role. Tanev is constantly broken and what Rafferty lacks in defence he could make up for in offence.

Juolevi sounds like a perfect Tanev replacement health-wise :) 

On December 21, 2019 at 4:47 PM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rafferty is 24 Juolevi is 21....

I am sure that  if Oli can stay injury free for the rest of the season...we will be talking about bringing them both up as a duo for the playoffs...

I honestly feel Juolevi 21, 6'3, would of played 30-40 games for Vancouver last season if he never had major knee injury.

Juolevi  had 13 points in 17 games before he season ending knee injury last season...

Still feel Juolevi will turn out to be a #3 D man still only 21 years old with every season has been injuries since 19 years old..

Rafferty 24, 6'2, 195 lbs having best season of his hockey career, point a game he never even did this in college...

• Upvote 2

On 12/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, canucklehead44 said:

Not so fun fact: Excluding the recent 2019 draft, Olli Juolevi is the only top 5 pick in NHL Entry draft history to not suit up for a game. If Turcotte and Byram manage to get into a game at the end of the season/playoffs Olli will hold the distinction outright as I don't see him getting called up this season. 

He's only 21 and been frequently injured/rehabbing and not able to train fully or play a whole lot. That's going to hamper development.

How about we let him string some actual games together before we go about making declarations on what he or his trajectory are?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He's only 21 and been frequently injured/rehabbing and not able to train fully or play a whole lot. That's going to hamper development.

How about we let him string some actual games together before we go about making declarations on what he or his trajectory are?

Here's the flaw to that theory. Players are signed to a ELC and in my mind they best show some thing because frankly come the draft the team each year adds more competition for their spot. Next summer Vcr is likely to add Rathbone who could emulate Rafferty. He'll be 21 come May, one year younger than OJ   and a plus player to boot :) and lets be honest Fatenberg is digging in for a resign in the summer. Some one best whisper in OJ ear, nows the time Bro

52 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the flaw to that theory. Players are signed to a ELC and in my mind they best show some thing because frankly come the draft the team each year adds more competition for their spot. Next summer Vcr is likely to add Rathbone who could emulate Rafferty. He'll be 21 come May, one year younger than OJ   and a plus player to boot :) and lets be honest Fatenberg is digging in for a resign in the summer. Some one best whisper in OJ ear, nows the time Bro

We keep Fantenberg if he remains a cheap option, otherwise he's replaceable (see Schenn). If Rathbone overtakes OJ, then that's all the better for our team. For OJ, maybe not so much, but we continue to develop him and if there is no room for him, it's simply more depth that we can utilize in a trade to get real value towards improving our team.

The important thing for OJ is to stay healthy, keep getting pro game experience and continue to progress. His draft position is no longer important, but if we are to look at that and hit a home run with Rathbone where we drafted him, then we can afford a mulligan.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nobody's saying the clock isn't ticking. He needs to get/stay healthy and get a serious string of games in and continue developing. 

But he's still our best/highest ceiling young D not named Hughes. And he still has time to get his development back on track.

Writing him off at this point is laughably premature. Particularly given the context of his injuries/lack of development time.

He needs games played and Gordie willing, some health to get them.

Sad to say that was the whole point to the post, his time is now and frankly from what I watched of Rafferty last season and his continued production in the AHL, it looks like he's creating quite a gap between him  and OJ. He has to wonder if he can usurp Fatenburg who looks quite comfortable now. Thing are looking tougher for young Juolevi not easier.

59 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sad to say that was the whole point to the post, his time is now and frankly from what I watched of Rafferty last season and his continued production in the AHL, it looks like he's creating quite a gap between him  and OJ. He has to wonder if he can usurp Fatenburg who looks quite comfortable now. Thing are looking tougher for young Juolevi not easier.

Fantenberg is signed to one year, this year. I don't think there's any concern about taking over his spot. Besides, we are grooming OJ to be in the top 4 rather than replace our #7 guy who's had a good string of games of late. How many players have had good stretches and don't amount to much more?

As for Rafferty, he's an RD, so he's not getting in the way of OJ. Not sure why the time is now for a 21 year old. Where was Rafferty when he was 21? He wasn't in the NHL then either, so...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Fantenberg is signed to one year, this year. I don't think there's any concern about taking over his spot. Besides, we are grooming OJ to be in the top 4 rather than replace our #7 guy who's had a good string of games of late. How many players have had good stretches and don't amount to much more?

As for Rafferty, he's an RD, so he's not getting in the way of OJ. Not sure why the time is now for a 21 year old. Where was Rafferty when he was 21? He wasn't in the NHL then either, so...

Grooming him for a top 4 role, that's a leap of faith. He's struggles in the AHL. Fantenberg is a  3 year NHL D, with positive stats and is 27 how can OJ leap frog those skill/experience. Maybe the dream at the draft was for OJ was a top 2 or 4 D, is that dream in reality still alive … in your mind? At what point will the aspiration and reality cross. You hang with this prospect he will go from tradable to untradable. In my mind this is his year to solidify him as an NHL D. Think about it, even Sautner (23 games ) has more games in the NHL than OJ. Tryamkin can maybe play the left side. Experience does count … in my mind any way. Any way Merry Christmas :)

Edited by Fred65

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Grooming him for a top 4 role, that's a leap of faith. He's struggles in the AHL. Fantenberg is a  3 year NHL D, with positive stats and is 27 how can OJ leap frog those skill/experience. Maybe the dream at the draft was for OJ was a top 2 or 4 D, is that dream in reality still alive … in your mind? At what point will the aspiration and reality cross. You hang with this prospect he will go from tradable to untradable. In my mind this is his year to solidify him as an NHL D. Think about it, even Sautner (23 games ) has more games in the NHL than OJ. Tryamkin can maybe play the left side. Experience does count … in my mind any way. Any way Merry Christmas :)

Every player needs to gain experience somehow. OJ has had setbacks, but hopefully back on track now. The expectation was for OJ to be a top 2 Dman, but I think top 4 is in the realm of possibility. Prospects are groomed to play a certain role, whether they get there or not is a different story. Fantenberg is signed for this year, he may not even be here next season. OJ certainly has other players that he would need to worry about well before Fantenberg or Sautner.

17 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We keep Fantenberg if he remains a cheap option, otherwise he's replaceable (see Schenn). If Rathbone overtakes OJ, then that's all the better for our team. For OJ, maybe not so much, but we continue to develop him and if there is no room for him, it's simply more depth that we can utilize in a trade to get real value towards improving our team.

The important thing for OJ is to stay healthy, keep getting pro game experience and continue to progress. His draft position is no longer important, but if we are to look at that and hit a home run with Rathbone where we drafted him, then we can afford a mulligan.

Rathbone and OJ play different sides.  If anything they will be d partners down the line.  

Edler is only signed till next year, same with Benn.  Tanev is gone at the end of the year, Stecher is a bubble guy atm.  He is a good 4-5 guy, but will never supplant Hughes as the go to wee d man.  Trymakin rumblings could see him taking one of those Right sides spots.  The other is up fro grabs.  

Trymakin can play either side, but I see him as a RHD for us.  

Rafferty is the only other D man in the system who could supplant OJ other than Rathbone currently.  Both are RHD, Woo needs some time with Cull in the AHL and he is a RHD.  

OJ is the top prospect for LHD and is healthy for the remainder of the season he will be back on track to make the team the following year put of the gate.  Benn is a 6-7 d man for us, Fattenburg is a gem so far.  Need a bigger sample size.  We will carry 8 d men and I dont see anyone else more likely than a healthy OJ.  

On 12/22/2019 at 2:10 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The pathetic thing is that there are supposed "Canuck fans" that frequent this thread that are probably pretty upset about Juolevi getting the first star and the game winner. 

Those aren't fans.  Their trolls.  We have a whole bunch that will go into hiding for a long time when this team hits its stride.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 12/21/2019 at 6:05 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Fantenberg

Brisebois

Sautner 

Juolevi 

Teves 

that is likely what our left side depth order is. Juolevi hasn’t looked great this year other than blocking shots - either way without getting into what ifs my original point still stands 

OJ is ahead of everyone not named Fattenburg atm.  He has to stay healthy and things will round out.  

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Rathbone and OJ play different sides.  If anything they will be d partners down the line.  

Edler is only signed till next year, same with Benn.  Tanev is gone at the end of the year, Stecher is a bubble guy atm.  He is a good 4-5 guy, but will never supplant Hughes as the go to wee d man.  Trymakin rumblings could see him taking one of those Right sides spots.  The other is up fro grabs.  

Trymakin can play either side, but I see him as a RHD for us.  

Rafferty is the only other D man in the system who could supplant OJ other than Rathbone currently.  Both are RHD, Woo needs some time with Cull in the AHL and he is a RHD.  

OJ is the top prospect for LHD and is healthy for the remainder of the season he will be back on track to make the team the following year put of the gate.  Benn is a 6-7 d man for us, Fattenburg is a gem so far.  Need a bigger sample size.  We will carry 8 d men and I dont see anyone else more likely than a healthy OJ.  

OJ and Rathbone are both LD. You seem to be going back and forth in your post on which sides they play on. I agree Tryamkin is on the right side and Rafferty might get a look on the right side too.

I don't expect us to renew Benn, but I believe we will extend Edler. He didn't sign a two year deal because he thinks he's retiring then. He signed it because he is helping us with the expansion. I fully expect him here longer than just next year.

Fantenberg is a good insurance policy and maybe a regular bottom 6 if you have a strong top 4. He's no different than a Biega, but a younger and bigger version of him. No one considers Biega a regular despite him always giving 110% when he draws into the lineup. I would keep him if he stays for cheap, but if he's expecting a big raise, then he's replaceable.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

On December 22, 2019 at 4:23 AM, Clock Tower Prison said:

Why can't we just be happy that we have both Juolevi and Rafferty? 

Edler is close to retirement and Juolevi could fill his role. Tanev is constantly broken and what Rafferty lacks in defence he could make up for in offence.

Those of us who are Canucks fans of course are happy that we have both OJ and Raff. 

However, the more skilled trolls, rather than negatively comparing Canucks assets to those of other teams, negatively compare one member of the Canucks organization to another, sucking some actual fans into putting down one Canucks player/prospect to defend another.

• Cheers 2