The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton draft thoughts?

aqua59

I'm glad JB has stuck the course and not panicked. As stated we'll not really know the fruition of this draft for about 4 to 5 years. So all we can do is speculate.

I'm interested on other peoples comparison of the three divisional rivals Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver thus far in the off season.

I think Vancouver did OK at the draft.

A second round pick might have been nice for some people but I'll take JB's early move on Gudbranson beating Edmonton or Calgary to the move. As some have stated, that might have been JB's best move as the Canucks GM. It added to their backbone in a huge way. So when we toss in the 1st round choice on top of the pre-daft move we see JB following through on building the defense this team needs to win. Of course there is a need for scoring but the game involves stopping the other team from scoring too. 

The cupboards are no longer bare.

I think Calgary did well in the draft.

They have a pretty smart management team put together that knows what they are doing.

Calgary did well by picking up Elliot. Since the Kipper moved on Calgary has been marginal in net, This was a must move for them.  

Vancouver still wins this one with net depth Calgary can't match. 

I'm not denying that Calgary is going to be a real pain to play, I love hating Calgary, they just got a lot better.

Still I think Vancouver's back end will handle this crew just fine.

As for Edmonton, they got a great first pick, yahoo for them.

What a group of forwards they sport.

What else?

There's a lot of time left in the off season so lets just say they have a lot to do rather than count things as failure.

JB jumped at acquiring D Gudbranson. The exact type of player Edmonton needs. Heck, they need a defense period, desperately. Unless they drafted a D-man early as Vancouver did the development time will be longer. Their answer was not in this draft.

So unless they load up on d-men during free agency or trades Edmonton has issues regardless of whats up front ripping around. It's already stated they will part with their so called high end players. It'll take more than one move .

Then there is goaltending, the biggest hole of all. Calgary beat them on this one. Another quick move by another organization beating Edmonton once again to the punch. I'm not saying Edmonton wanted Elliot but Calgary just got set in goal giving them breathing room with spending in the off season.

Edmonton has a long way to go before they catch Vancouver or Calgary even if their forward group is dripping with talent. Some of that talent will be the cost Edmonton pays to upgrade things. 

So far they've had a rather late start.

So in terms of Vancouver I think they've done OK thus far. Calgary too, Edmonton not so much.

Thought?

I agree, it's going to be a long time before we really know.

It's also too long before we get to watch any hockey.  This off-season, as usual, is going way too slowly.  I look forward to see what we can get in free agency.  Other than that, not much to say.

31 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I'm glad JB has stuck the course and not panicked. As stated we'll not really know the fruition of this draft for about 4 to 5 years. So all we can do is speculate.

I'm interested on other peoples comparison of the three divisional rivals Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver thus far in the off season.

I think Vancouver did OK at the draft.

A second round pick might have been nice for some people but I'll take JB's early move on Gudbranson beating Edmonton or Calgary to the move. As some have stated, that might have been JB's best move as the Canucks GM. It added to their backbone in a huge way. So when we toss in the 1st round choice on top of the pre-daft move we see JB following through on building the defense this team needs to win. Of course there is a need for scoring but the game involves stopping the other team from scoring too. 

The cupboards are no longer bare.

I think Calgary did well in the draft.

They have a pretty smart management team put together that knows what they are doing.

Calgary did well by picking up Elliot. Since the Kipper moved on Calgary has been marginal in net, This was a must move for them.  

Vancouver still wins this one with net depth Calgary can't match. 

I'm not denying that Calgary is going to be a real pain to play, I love hating Calgary, they just got a lot better.

Still I think Vancouver's back end will handle this crew just fine.

As for Edmonton, they got a great first pick, yahoo for them.

What a group of forwards they sport.

What else?

There's a lot of time left in the off season so lets just say they have a lot to do rather than count things as failure.

JB jumped at acquiring D Gudbranson. The exact type of player Edmonton needs. Heck, they need a defense period, desperately. Unless they drafted a D-man early as Vancouver did the development time will be longer. Their answer was not in this draft.

So unless they load up on d-men during free agency or trades Edmonton has issues regardless of whats up front ripping around. It's already stated they will part with their so called high end players. It'll take more than one move .

Then there is goaltending, the biggest hole of all. Calgary beat them on this one. Another quick move by another organization beating Edmonton once again to the punch. I'm not saying Edmonton wanted Elliot but Calgary just got set in goal giving them breathing room with spending in the off season.

Edmonton has a long way to go before they catch Vancouver or Calgary even if their forward group is dripping with talent. Some of that talent will be the cost Edmonton pays to upgrade things. 

So far they've had a rather late start.

So in terms of Vancouver I think they've done OK thus far. Calgary too, Edmonton not so much.

Thought?

EDMONTON HAS THEIR GOALIE!!!!!!

Talbot will be the goalie for the foreseeable future.

12 minutes ago, Hockey Stache said:

EDMONTON HAS THEIR GOALIE!!!!!!

Talbot will be the goalie for the foreseeable future.

He's not the answer, he's a career back up. He might be what they have but you'd hard pressed to convince me even Edmonton management doesn't know they need to upgrade.

Show me the wins. 

4 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

He's not the answer, he's a career back up. He might be what they have but you'd hard pressed to convince me even Edmonton management doesn't know they need to upgrade.

Show me the wins. 

Talbot's no career back up. I live in Albera, and watch him play regularly. He's one hell of a goaltender. He is the answer in net, they just need an answer on the blue line.

As a fan of western Canadian hockey teams first and foremost - although I hate Calgary and Edmonton - (but the Jets and then those teams are my other favorites lol - anyhow - as a fan of these three teams.....they killed it at the draft.

Edmonton - as usual - had no choice.  They were once again spoon fed.  But I did really like their pick of Rasanen at 153.

The Lames - like us - had the ideal player land in their draft pocket.   Also liked that they took Matthew Philips - they've taken a chance on a number of Royals the past few years.

The Canucks.  Nuff said.  Juolevi is the bomb.  And I like the crafty, under-rated picks they went with in other rounds, setting this team up for one of the best group of names in the NHL.  Stukel, Lockwood, Abols, Candella - a pbp guy's dream.

I am becoming pretty frustrated/jealous (combination) of Edmonton. They've had some good luck lately and I know they have had about 10 years of misery however, we have no cups either over that time. It's been a better ride for the Canucks but at this point I'd put Edmonton closer to being contenders than we are. Not saying they'll do better than us this year but there headed there now, and fast. 

Calgary, well jury is out for me. They beat us in the playoffs a couple years ago, looked terrible like us last year. So we'll see this year. They're definitely trending the right way though. If Elliot can shine and tkachuk finds chemistry, they'll be a pretty good team. 

37 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I just really don't want to see dubois or tkatchuk go onto being amazing franchise superstars and we get another corrado

Carrado = 5th round pick who's draft year totals were 30 points in 67 games and never represented his country at the world juniors. 

Joulevi = Highly touted 5th overall who had 42 points in 57 games and was a star player for his team at the world juniors. 

Not quite the same guys there.

Yes, there's a chance Juolevi busts but as of today, you can say the same thing about Matthews, Dubois, Tkachuk and Pulijarvi. We're not going to know for certain until 5-10 years down the road.

I think the moves by all the clubs listed were by and large, pretty good considering.  Calgary and Vancouver drafted for organizational need and landed a player that'll help fill holes that were glaring.  Edmonton had no choice really and picked a winger that'll compliment McDavid, and give them the freedom to deal away another winger/center to address their Defense problem.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Weber or Fowler.  

As for the goaltending problem in Calgary or Edmonton....  Edmonton will get their D sorted out one way or another and that'll fix their goaltending problems.   Calgary just needs average goaltending to keep the puck out as their D is pretty much awesome compared to the other western canadian teams.  

Its going to make for some good hockey to watch in the next couple of years.

22 minutes ago, Davathor said:

I just really don't want to see dubois or tkatchuk go onto being amazing franchise superstars and we get another corrado

We cant complain or think about Dubois because we didnt miss out on drafting him, he just wasnt there.

There is no guarantee in any draft, cant pass up on an opportunity to grab a potential #1/2 dman, gotta draft and hope he can live up to it and beyond.

Jewels is gunna be big for us

Canucks got the best D in the draft. Flames and Oilers didn't get the best forward.

But seriously, EDM and CGY got two great offensive players, can't deny that. All I can do is hope Benning acquires a top 6 UFA forward who will make a difference next season. EDM scooped up Tyler Benson and CGY picked up a good goalie (Elliott). The Pacific division is going to be very competitive.

Not having a 2nd pick hurt and I am confused why they chose Lockwood with pick #64. They must obviously see something in this kid.

26 minutes ago, Davathor said:

The chance of Juolevi turning into Frankie Corrado is about the same as Desi turning into Jim Benning's biggest supporter...

Canucks addressed a need by getting Juolevi.  Great pick.  Trading for Gudbranson was a smart move so I am reasonably pleased with GMJB work this last week (except from the stupid tampering incident).  Grade B-

Calgary did really well at the draft.  Their challenge going in was to get a goalie that had a reasonable cap hit because they have 7 or so RFA s that is going to cost every cent of cap space that they have.  Getting Elliott was the most important thing they did. They were always in line to pick up a good player at #6 and Tkachuk was their man.  Grade A-

Edmonton failed miserably.  They need to overhaul their back end and trade away some of their Prima Donna forwards and they have an unproven goalie.  They failed to do any of these things. Grade E

Archived