Canorth

Anaheim

Los Angeles 

Vancouver

Calgary

San Jose

Edmonton

Arizona

Calgary makes the playoffs - as does Winnipeg in the Central.  Canucks in the 6/7 spot.

Van in 6 over LA in the first round.  2nd round - no more silly homer predictions - have no idea.

8th and 13th in the West separated by less than 10 pts.

Top line scores 69 goals

Second  line scores 62

Third line scored 49

Fourth line scores 29

Defense scores 32  

Edler 10 Tanev 7

Hutton 5 Gudbranson 3

Sbisa 3 Tryamkin 4

Juolevi impresses a great deal in camp, but returns to London, primarily to gain strength.

Markstrom edges out Miller in starts - tanden leans towards Markstrom, who starts in the playoffs.

The top line has lots of gas left in the tank as the regular season winds down by virtue of the balance/depth of the lineup.

Baertschi Sutter and Honey Badger all score 20 goals on the 2nd line.

"Kid" third line of Etem, Horvat Virtanen - also very balanced in scoring 16, 18. 15

Burr leads the 4th line with 12 goals, Granlund 10, Dorsett 7.  (All these totals are shared with replacement players ie. Burr may have 2, get injured and Gaunce replaces with 10 more).  Three lines that provide good matchup options.

Gaunce and Rodin mean the team doesn't miss much of a step with their first few F injuries.

Larsen and Pedan make for a very solid '4th pairing' / depth.  Question mark - do the Canucks find a way to retain Pedan?

WD has a very enjoyable season as he has the personnel to roll four lines and play the kind of systems hockey he couldn't really last year.

Self-styled 'analytics' community turn in their 'hero-charts' to study at the Jim Benning school of "it's more complicated than corsi and so-called 'shot-suppression'."

Endless whining because Miller wasn't flipped for a pick at the deadline.

Western Conference

Pacific

San Jose

Los Angeles

Calgary

--

Anaheim

Edmonton

Vancouver

Arizona

Central

Dallas

Nashville

St. Louis

--

Chicago

Winnipeg

Minnesota

Colorado

I have us where we do because although I do like the makeup of our roster in comparison to last year, I think some of the younger Western teams like Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg make some serious strides towards being consistently in the playoff hunt. They won't be easy loser points for us anymore. Honestly I think only Colorado and Arizona will truly be 'weak' teams in the West, with Anaheim potentially regressing a lot.

Noteable player performances:

+ Hansen has a subpar year, being used as a utility player and shuffled up and down the lineup as per Willie's discretion.

+ Baertschi (assuming he plays with Horvat) hits the 20 goal plateau and provides some much needed scoring depth in a third line capacity.

+ Edler has a healthy, successful season and pots 13-15 on a revamped PP.

- Sbisa finds himself struggling to stay in the lineup due to being outperformed by Tryamkin.

- Sutter finds himself overwhelmed by the 2C position, remains a defensive presence but unable to generate offense as a shoot first center. Our second line in general will spend a lot of time in their own zone defending throughout the year.

- Larsen busts.

+Gudbranson gets spoon-fed PP minutes after Larsen busts but eventually regresses into a defensive role ala Tanev in the latter half of the year. Strong showing for him in his first year donning the blue and green.

+The Sedins flourish with Ericsson, I'm shooting for an optimistic 70-75 points for the twins. A respectable 55 for Ericsson.

Canucks finish just outside of the wild card position

Larsen has a nice season, along with Horvat and Baer. Eriksson and the Sedins gel well, and produce at a respectable clip. Sbisa is traded at the deadline, along with Megyna. Demko will be called up atleast once in the year. Oilers are dead last, followed closely by the Maple Leafs, and they drop to the 3rd and 4th picks in the draft lottery.  

1. St Louis

2. Nashville

3. SJ

4. Chicago

5. Dallas
6. LA

7. Anaheim

8. Winnipeg

9. Calgary

10. Minnesota

11. Vancouver

12. Edmonton

13. Colorado

14. Arizona

10-14 could be any combination - not sure who will be last but see Winnipeg, Calgary and Minnesota battling it out for the last spot. I think ourselves/edmonton and will be somewhat 'gapped' above the last 2 however.

On 9/1/2016 at 0:18 AM, KyoNami said:

Canucks finish just outside of the wild card position

Larsen has a nice season, along with Horvat and Baer. Eriksson and the Sedins gel well, and produce at a respectable clip. Sbisa is traded at the deadline, along with Megyna. Demko will be called up atleast once in the year. Oilers are dead last, followed closely by the Maple Leafs, and they drop to the 3rd and 4th picks in the draft lottery.  

No way the oilers will be dead last. Possible for the Leafs but with Matthews and a healthy squad with Babcock coaching they will be respectable. They were missing Bozak, JVR and Lupul for most of the year and traded Kessel, not sure what else one could expect. Now Lupul is always hurt but with JVR and Bozak healthy and Matthews up front, along with some skill in Kadri, Nylander etc, and better goaltending in Anderson, I really can't see them being in the race for last.

My bet is Arizona, Col, Columbus are racing to last next season.

Time for some predictions.

1. The Canucks experience some improvement from regression to the mean and from age-related improvement by young players, including Horvat, Tryamkin, Baertschi, and Hutton. My prediction is 93 points and just sneaking into the playoffs.

2. At some point in the season it is generally accepted that Horvat is a 2C and Sutter is a solid 3C.

3. Marky takes over as the #1 goalie at some point in the season.

22 hours ago, Nuckles80 said:

1. St Louis

2. Nashville

3. SJ

4. Chicago

5. Dallas
6. LA

7. Anaheim

8. Winnipeg

9. Calgary

10. Minnesota

11. Vancouver

12. Edmonton

13. Colorado

14. Arizona

10-14 could be any combination - not sure who will be last but see Winnipeg, Calgary and Minnesota battling it out for the last spot. I think ourselves/edmonton and will be somewhat 'gapped' above the last 2 however.

Do we want to finish just out of the playoffs?  I'm thinking this team pushes over the 100 point mark again.  

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do we want to finish just out of the playoffs?  I'm thinking this team pushes over the 100 point mark again.  

I don't 'want' to, I just think that's where we end up!

I don't think we'll see 100 pts. The bottom end of the west has gotten better (Winnipeg, Cal, Edmonton, even Arizona slightly), the mid to top end has stayed the same. We've certainly become better.

In order to break 100, we need to stay very healthy and have some big gains by Bo (very likely) Sven (decent potential to do so) but then also guys like Hutton, Try, Virtanen etc. We also can't afford to see Edler and Sutter go down as well - those 2 are key for us I think. They are pretty crucial players for this squad (as we saw last year), given the depth, youth etc.

Having those 2 in the lineup takes a HELL of alot of pressure off the young players. With Sutter, it gives us alot of strength down the middle and takes pressure off Bo and our third line. With Edler, as much as people rag on him, he's a minute muncher, logs time against all the elite in the NHL and makes the later matchups easier for others.

So, is it possible, yes it is if everything goes right. My concern is injuries, which always happen and to whom. We really don't have much depth on this team with experience so any key player goes down, its going to hurt since a young inexperienced player is going to have to step in and eat those minutes (kind of what we saw last year).

On 28/06/2016 at 4:43 PM, Canorth said:

I noticed people were starting to make predictions in the old 2015-16 Time Capsule Thread so I thought I'd start a new one.

The rules are the same:

1) Everybody gets 1 post (please be honest) in which they are allowed to post their prediction for the upcoming season.

2) This post can be edited as much as you like right up until 6:00 PM October 15 - opening night against the Flames.

3) After 6:00 PM on October 15th, the thread will be locked, sealed and pinned by a moderator only to be opened again once the Vancouver Canucks have played their last game of the season (when ever that may be). This will hopefully fuel some interesting discussions at the end of the season.

4) Please, NO DISCUSSION WITHIN THIS THREAD. It will only get messy.

5) You can include anything you want in your post and it doesn't have to be just about the Canucks - standings, line-ups, trades, proposal predictions ect..

Father time stops for no one. There are so many question marks over this roster that making playoffs would be a huge success. I have greater confidence in the goal tending and with the d-core but suspect the forward group struggles again this year. The depth is shallow that injuries could quickly kill the season.

Placing Winnipeg under Van in playoff rankings is brutal. Their roster is more than playoff ready I expect them to be contenders. I do not expect the Canucks will make the playoffs. Not upset about that reality.

Pacific Division

San Jose

Los Angeles

Calgary

Anaheim

Edmonton

Vancouver

Arizona

Player performances

- Eriksson pots 35 goals with the Sedins

- One of the Sedins will sustain an injury this year, as it seems to be a tradition since Torts (I'm starting to have serious doubts about the quality of our training staff)

- Hansen will regress, being taken off the top line

- Sutter and Horvat will have similar TOI usage, no clear No. 2 centre option develops as Sutter is predominantly used as a shut down centre, he won't become the #2 option Benning envisioned. In Sutter's own words :  “I guess after eight years, you hope people know what to expect from you. I know what kind of player I am and nothing was really going to change. Everyone wants to score more goals, get more points, things like that. But after being in the league eight years, you realize the biggest thing is just winning and losing. That’s all it comes down to and nothing else matters.”

- Sbisa will be paired with Gudbranson, and it will drive us insane. Predicting Sbisa will soon find himself at the bottom of the depth chart. Or crazy theory, may get converted to a forward.

- Pedan busts

- Virtanen will hit 20 points

- Hutton, not Larsen will be given the bulk of  2nd PP minutes by the end of the year

Franchise guesses

- Nothing of note will happen at the Trade Deadline. 

- By December, we will find out whether Willie D will still have a job or will be allowed to ride out the last year of his contract. Depends whether the coaching staff will actively manage match ups and minutes

Western Conference

1) San Jose Sharks

2) Chicago Blackhawks

3) Nashville Predators

4) Dallas Stars

5) Los Angeles Kings

6) St. Louis Blues

7) Edmonton Oilers

8) Minnesota Wild

9) Calgary Flames

10) Anaheim Ducks

11) Winnipeg Jets

12) Arizona Coyotes

13) Colorado Avalanche

14) Vancouver Canucks

I want to believe, it's just when I pull the homer glasses off it looks bad.

I predict the Canucks surprising a lot of analysts and finishing 5-8th in the west. The team lacks the scoring touch of its division rivals, but has a stronger defensive core as Stretcher makes the team and becomes a great scoring defenseman not just within the organization, but within the league. The beefing up of the defensive core and a healthier team allows for a quasi-successful post All Star run to the end of the season. Apart from short stretches of losses in December and Janurary, the team becomes difficult to play. especially in their own building.

Archived