The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] PK Subban to Predators for Shea Weber

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So not fixing their biggest problem?

Oh sorry, lol.

I'm trying to imagine how Habs fan feel right now. Subban was basically their Bo Horvat, the face of the franchise and the fan favorite. 

If I were to guess not too well. Especially with the first round exit. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

I'm trying to imagine how Habs fan feel right now. Subban was basically their Bo Horvat, the face of the franchise and the fan favorite. 

If I were to guess not too well. Especially with the first round exit. 

Surprised they didn't riot. They can't score.

49 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Or not traded PK away. Lol 

No - they had to trade him.  It was too much about PK the brand over the Habs the team.   And there were also some sign of tension that media was always keen to point out and it became a distraction.  He also didn't fit in the way Therrien and Bergevin wanted to play - both teams got a player that fit better their playing style.

Bergevin really failed at the TDL. 

This trade, I think it's safe to say Weber was the better player THIS year... Who knows which guy will be better in the future. 

One would think Bergevins job should be on the line though 

On 4/24/2017 at 7:18 AM, apollo said:

Bergevin really failed at the TDL. 

This trade, I think it's safe to say Weber was the better player THIS year... Who knows which guy will be better in the future. 

One would think Bergevins job should be on the line though 

Which means he's probably going to do some desperate super trade.

Maybe Vancouver can sell Sutter to Bergevin as a #1 Center :P

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Which means he's probably going to do some desperate super trade.

Maybe Vancouver can sell Sutter to Bergevin as a #1 Center :P

Lol dream on.

Perhaps Berg pushes hard for Duchene and/or Landeskog.

Would be a big blow to our future but the window will start to close without major additions. We need scorers, pref one down the middle.

Montreal has the same problem every year and it goes with never actually going all in! They always talk about it but never want to pay the price. They add small pieces to their bottom 6 but never add the scoring help they need. I just see this trend happening every year for them and as Carey Price gets older and older and their window gets closer and closer to being gone.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:44 AM, mll said:

No - they had to trade him.  It was too much about PK the brand over the Habs the team.   And there were also some sign of tension that media was always keen to point out and it became a distraction.  He also didn't fit in the way Therrien and Bergevin wanted to play - both teams got a player that fit better their playing style.

They didn't have to trade him, like c'mon are you for real here?

Distraction my ass, all he brought was positive attention to their team and bolster their team brand as well as the game of hockey. You don't trade away someone like PK Subban because the media made things a distraction. Would the same logic be applied to Patrick Kane (multiple scandals) when he was actually a distraction, or guys like Brad Marchand getting caught with their shirts off at parties? What did Subban do that was terrible?

Also, the whole coach argument is BS too, teams don't trade franchise players because they don't fit the coaches style, its the other way around. Look at the Canucks, they fired coaches instead of players, or more recently the Sabres, they fired the coach for Eichel. 

1 hour ago, TheSecretIsMe said:

They didn't have to trade him, like c'mon are you for real here?

Distraction my ass, all he brought was positive attention to their team and bolster their team brand as well as the game of hockey. You don't trade away someone like PK Subban because the media made things a distraction. Would the same logic be applied to Patrick Kane (multiple scandals) when he was actually a distraction, or guys like Brad Marchand getting caught with their shirts off at parties? What did Subban do that was terrible?

Also, the whole coach argument is BS too, teams don't trade franchise players because they don't fit the coaches style, its the other way around. Look at the Canucks, they fired coaches instead of players, or more recently the Sabres, they fired the coach for Eichel. 

PK was always trying to skate the puck out but that's not how Therrien and Bergevin want to play - Bergevin explained that he wants the puck to move fast with a quick pass from the D up to the F.

This is from a Friedman article - he spoke to Carey Price.  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/23-minutes-shook-hockey-world/

“No, I was shocked like everyone else. But I had an idea that it was possible. The way our game is structured and the way P.K. plays…we’re headed in a different direction.”

Can you explain what you mean by that?

“P.K. is an offensive defenceman and a risk-taker. That’s made him successful, that’s the way he plays the game. He doesn’t want to change that and I respect that. I respect the way that he plays the game…his type of enthusiasm and his ability to raise fans out of their seats. That’s a special gift and something that not very many players are able to do. But the way we’re coached on our team, the way our team is structured, that’s not what were looking for. We’re looking for a steady type of defenceman that makes quick plays and is able to move the puck right away. Shea fits that bill perfectly.”

PK made a 10M pledge to the Children Hospital - his teammates did not name him for the King Clancy.  PK also said that before Josi and Fisher none of his ex-teammates ever went to visit the hospital with him.  It was weird in the room.  Montreal media has analysed that at length as well as him pushing his own brand - Montreal didn't like it.   

4 hours ago, mll said:

PK was always trying to skate the puck out but that's not how Therrien and Bergevin want to play - Bergevin explained that he wants the puck to move fast with a quick pass from the D up to the F.

This is from a Friedman article - he spoke to Carey Price.  http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/23-minutes-shook-hockey-world/

“No, I was shocked like everyone else. But I had an idea that it was possible. The way our game is structured and the way P.K. plays…we’re headed in a different direction.”

Can you explain what you mean by that?

“P.K. is an offensive defenceman and a risk-taker. That’s made him successful, that’s the way he plays the game. He doesn’t want to change that and I respect that. I respect the way that he plays the game…his type of enthusiasm and his ability to raise fans out of their seats. That’s a special gift and something that not very many players are able to do. But the way we’re coached on our team, the way our team is structured, that’s not what were looking for. We’re looking for a steady type of defenceman that makes quick plays and is able to move the puck right away. Shea fits that bill perfectly.”

PK made a 10M pledge to the Children Hospital - his teammates did not name him for the King Clancy.  PK also said that before Josi and Fisher none of his ex-teammates ever went to visit the hospital with him.  It was weird in the room.  Montreal media has analysed that at length as well as him pushing his own brand - Montreal didn't like it.   

All things considered, they still didn't have to move him, outside of Price, PK was the man. There's not a single player on that roster that holds more value than him, so I would argue the Habs should've moved other players instead. 

I didn't know about the medias involvement until you mentioned it, and there's definitely a lot conspiracy-like stories around the topic, like Pacioretty was jealous of him and so were other team-mates. This kind of stuff you may never know the truth about, either it's not true or the players will never admit to it. 

There's also many articles out there saying the opposite of what you're saying: http://thehockeywriters.com/another-former-canadien-comes-out-in-support-of-subban/

At the end of the day, the Habs screwed up, Subban is 27-28 yrs old, entering his prime, a hell of a player, will fill seats for years to come. Nashville just swept the Hawks, and PK had 3 points tonight (should be 3 goals) and lead his team to victory, Weber and the boys exited the first round. So much for PK being the problem..

Habs real problem is they have a totally incompetent GM, who has failed to address scoring issue 5 yrs and counting. All he does every yr is trade for d-man and 4th liners. He doesn't believe they need a #1 center because teams have won the Cup before without them - He named Frolov and Toews as not #1 centers. Every year Bergevin uses the same old excuses - How hard is it to make trades, How hard is it to draft, How hard his job it but my favorite of all is when he said "It's all on me" - All 5 yrs Habs failures have been on him, so he should either step down or be fired. I'm truly amazed Price wants to stay there and not leave for actual serious contender.

I don't know how this clown keeps his job. It says it all when he ducked out of GM Meeting hiding behind a plant. Habs owner must be total moron.

1 hour ago, TheSecretIsMe said:

All things considered, they still didn't have to move him, outside of Price, PK was the man. There's not a single player on that roster that holds more value than him, so I would argue the Habs should've moved other players instead. 

I didn't know about the medias involvement until you mentioned it, and there's definitely a lot conspiracy-like stories around the topic, like Pacioretty was jealous of him and so were other team-mates. This kind of stuff you may never know the truth about, either it's not true or the players will never admit to it. 

There's also many articles out there saying the opposite of what you're saying: http://thehockeywriters.com/another-former-canadien-comes-out-in-support-of-subban/

At the end of the day, the Habs screwed up, Subban is 27-28 yrs old, entering his prime, a hell of a player, will fill seats for years to come. Nashville just swept the Hawks, and PK had 3 points tonight (should be 3 goals) and lead his team to victory, Weber and the boys exited the first round. So much for PK being the problem..

IF the Preds keep advancing(with Subban playing like tonite) this trade becomes more interesting by the day.

Wouldn't be shocked if it forced Mtl into an earlier rebuild. Ditch Bergevin, sell Weber, Price & Pacc for a huge haul.

Archived