The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense: Who do you think will make the team for next season?

Sean Avery

Canucks Defense  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Based on what I saw last year in 13 games played, this will not be an issue.  He will make the team.

They should give this guy playing time to develop at the NHL level imo.

Some players, they're just going to have to pass through waivers, there is no choice.  They'll carry 8 D and the rest will go down to Utica (hopefully)

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Sbisa

Biega Pedan Stecher.......that's the 9 who were talked about by Benning I think

Stecher will probably be in Utica because he needs playing time and is waiver exempt (?)

That leaves them choosing between Biega and Pedan

Edler was not great last year -- I wonder if there will be an effort to move him prior to waiver decisions on other players.  On the other hand, maybe keep him and give him a chance to improve his trade value.  Stecher is the obvious one to go to Utica, but this mgt team has proven they will go with the better players: Hutton, Virtanen and McCann in, Corrado and various others waived and gone.  If Juolevi makes the team things gets even more crowded.  I thought Hut was great with Tryamkin last year, but they both play the same side... so maybe that won't be a go this year.  TBH, Edler first, and maybe Sbisa or even Pedan, as second options in trades are very possible.  Both Pedan and Sbisa are physical though, so I can't imagine we cut both loose.   It certainly looks like a good idea to carry 7 D rather than 6 D and an extra forward!  If Edler is moved for a forward prospect or a draft choice, then:

Hutton LHD/Gudbranson RHD

Tryamkin LHD/Larsen RHD

Sbisa LHD/Tanev RHD

Biega, Pedan or Juolevi, 7th D. 

32 minutes ago, coastal1 said:

Yes, because teams will line up to pick up and over paid, under performing defenceman. There is this notion that keeps coming back that if a player proves not good enough let's just trade him (like Higgins last year). But realy, if a player is not good enough for the Canucks, one of the worse teams in the league right now, who will he be able to help?? Edmonton? (Kassian!) Any where else??

I guess we can just agree to disagree on Sbisa. He's a decent 5/6 dman. Overpaid? Maybe slightly, but there's no NTC attached which is why the extra loot. And I'm not sure if you noticed, but NHL dman are fetching a pretty penny around the league right now. 

As I said. He's improving. That's all I was trying to establish. It's not like he's the be all end all on our team anyways. And really, 3.6 cap hit is peanuts. It's not like it was the deal breaker for us picking up a Yandle. 

Hutton Tanev

Edler Larson

Tyramkin Gudbranson 

Hutton and Tanev played well together and have good chemistry, Larson plays a similar style to Erhoff so this might help Elder and Elder could be good for Larson. Third pair is the wrecking line! 

Some of the proposals to ship out Edler or Sbisa is pre-mature at this stage. We take a giant step forward signing Gud as a reliable top four and Larsen as a potential 6/7, why would we take a giant step back by trading Edler, a reliable 2/3 and Sbisa a reliable 4/5?  Unless someone really shines at the training camp, you keep these two.

29 minutes ago, blackpluto96 said:

Some of the proposals to ship out Edler or Sbisa is pre-mature at this stage. We take a giant step forward signing Gud as a reliable top four and Larsen as a potential 6/7, why would we take a giant step back by trading Edler, a reliable 2/3 and Sbisa a reliable 4/5?  Unless someone really shines at the training camp, you keep these two.

Hopefully we will have 2 good surprises at least. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Larsen

Pedan - Sbisa

Biega, Stecher, Subban as callups in that order. Personally, I can't see Sbisa or Pedan playing much - it's a shame we can't send Pedan to Utica really.

9 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He got some use out of Vey though that pedan trade would finally pay off this season 

could potentially have two defenceman in the press box I suppose

they did try pedan at wing last year

This^^ 

We can carry 3 extra skaters, this year 2 will be defenders. Rodin/Etem will be the extra forward.  JB will send down the guy who doesn't preform in camp. Really, Beiga is the logical target, but he won't make it easy for Pedan, so Pedan needs to be competitive.

He can fill in on the fourth line in spot duty and cover defence injuries.  Giving the coaches time to work on his game.  Unless he bombs camp, I see this as the likely outcome.  

The real question is if JB moves out Sbisa at camp?

I don't believe that Tanev or Edler are going to be moved, if so they would have resigned Hamhius. So what to do if Trymakin and Larsen show well in camp. They tick a lot  of boxes.  This could make Sbisa our 7th defender this year, and a Ballard esq insurance policy. Good expansion protection, but a huge cap hit for what a 7th guy should cost. 

What at could we garner thru a trade that would improve the roster?  Here come the Sbisa, Hansen and a 1st proposals... Lol. 

All kidding aside, what could we get for Sbisa, Hansen and a 1st..

We better not lose Pedan, I think he has has the highest ceiling out of all the defenseman. 

Amazing how fast opinion changes. After winning the hardest shot and fastest skater at the skills comp everybody loved him but then there was Tryamkin's first game and Pedan made a really glaring mistake and now nobody seems to care less about him. Just like how he has an insanely dominant fight card, but loses one fight against Bickell and now his ability to fight gets questioned. 

Pedan does make glaring mistakes, even at the AHL level. However, he is such an exciting combination of speed, size, and toughness with a very hard shot. He hits like a truck too. 

13 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

We better not lose Pedan, I think he has has the highest ceiling out of all the defenseman. 

Amazing how fast opinion changes. After winning the hardest shot and fastest skater at the skills comp everybody loved him but then there was Tryamkin's first game and Pedan made a really glaring mistake and now nobody seems to care less about him. Just like how he has an insanely dominant fight card, but loses one fight against Bickell and now his ability to fight gets questioned. 

Pedan does make glaring mistakes, even at the AHL level. However, he is such an exciting combination of speed, size, and toughness with a very hard shot. He hits like a truck too. 

Pedan love still exists. His game got exposed a bit at the NHL and his lateral skating is considered a weakness.   He obviously needs to adjust to the faster pace IQ wise, but has good potential.

He may be a great bottom pairing guy who can contribute well on the stat sheet in the coming years. Any more than that is being lucky. 

8 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

Edler was not great last year -- I wonder if there will be an effort to move him prior to waiver decisions on other players.  On the other hand, maybe keep him and give him a chance to improve his trade value.  Stecher is the obvious one to go to Utica, but this mgt team has proven they will go with the better players: Hutton, Virtanen and McCann in, Corrado and various others waived and gone.  If Juolevi makes the team things gets even more crowded.  I thought Hut was great with Tryamkin last year, but they both play the same side... so maybe that won't be a go this year.  TBH, Edler first, and maybe Sbisa or even Pedan, as second options in trades are very possible.  Both Pedan and Sbisa are physical though, so I can't imagine we cut both loose.   It certainly looks like a good idea to carry 7 D rather than 6 D and an extra forward!  If Edler is moved for a forward prospect or a draft choice, then:

Hutton LHD/Gudbranson RHD

Tryamkin LHD/Larsen RHD

Sbisa LHD/Tanev RHD

Biega, Pedan or Juolevi, 7th D. 

The top 4 is finally in place and looking good imo.  Benning has 2 RHD and 2 LHD here which has fixed the biggest issue the Canucks had since the decline and trade of Bieksa.  I really don't think any will be moved.

Sbisa is a possible move because he has a high cap hit for a bottom pairing player and is taking a place for a younger player.  On the other hand, if he is slotted in a spot where they aren't asking too much of him, he may perform better.  He is still an important depth player at this point because these younger players have had very little NHL experience.  If Sbisa is moved, it may not be for another year.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The top 4 is finally in place and looking good imo.  Benning has 2 RHD and 2 LHD here which has fixed the biggest issue the Canucks had since the decline and trade of Bieksa.  I really don't think any will be moved.

Sbisa is a possible move because he has a high cap hit for a bottom pairing player and is taking a place for a younger player.  On the other hand, if he is slotted in a spot where they aren't asking too much of him, he may perform better.  He is still an important depth player at this point because these younger players have had very little NHL experience.  If Sbisa is moved, it may not be for another year.

You have a point about stability: Benning might want to see how these 9 or 10 D players do over the course of at least most of one season. And we know about how injuries can affect the D.

Tryamkin appears to be able to play either side, which helps with flexibility, but maybe there is a loss in comfort or competence when he does.  About keeping Edler and possibly Sbisa: you have a point, as they do provide some stability and experience: Larsen and Hutton are still proving themselves, Tryamkin only had a 10 game audition when the games didn't matter much, Pedan never has proved himself, and of course Juolevi may not see a single game of NHL hockey this year (although I suspect he will at least the obligatory 10 or 20 to start the season).  And, Biega and Stecher look like AHLers at the moment.

Assuming he can keep up and has improved his conditioning, I think Tryamkin is a lock for a position.  So to me, the last spot is between Sbisa and Larsen.  I think Sbisa will start, and then if there is an injury or the play of Tryamkin or Sbisa suffers, they will be replaced by Larsen for a tryout.

Now, that's just if the season started today.  Ultimately, if Larsen has an amazing camp then it would be silly not to start him. 

I also think that Sbisa is a prime candidate to be traded - especially if it looks like Larsen is the real deal.

Edler   Tanev

Hutton  Guds

Sbisa  Tryman

Larson

Pedan

I think they carry Pedan as the 13th forward, Beiga goes to Utica as depth.

Teams like NYI and Edm will be scrambling to trade assets that can't be protected in the expansion draft, while other teams will be cautious in adding to their roster.  There might be an opportunity for the Canucks to pick up a player that is an upgrade( to a player that would normally be protected) in a trade for a less skilled player.  Can you imagine getting Nelson or De Haan for (name your player) and a 2nd?  Why not go all out and make a pitch for Strome?  Maybe the Canucks can find their future #1C or LW if they are willing to part with their 2017 first rounder (depending where they are in the standings of course).  Whatever the case...it is going to be very interesting after the all-star break.

3 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

You have a point about stability: Benning might want to see how these 9 or 10 D players do over the course of at least most of one season. And we know about how injuries can affect the D.

Tryamkin appears to be able to play either side, which helps with flexibility, but maybe there is a loss in comfort or competence when he does.  About keeping Edler and possibly Sbisa: you have a point, as they do provide some stability and experience: Larsen and Hutton are still proving themselves, Tryamkin only had a 10 game audition when the games didn't matter much, Pedan never has proved himself, and of course Juolevi may not see a single game of NHL hockey this year (although I suspect he will at least the obligatory 10 or 20 to start the season).  And, Biega and Stecher look like AHLers at the moment.

Juolevi can't play more than ten games without burning a year on his ELC and Linden has said he needs to be in junior this year.

I like all the wild cards the Canucks have competing for the 5-6 spots.  I have faith in Tryamkin, and would be over the moon if Pedan found his way, but he seems to have a long way to go.  Biega no doubt is going to come to camp ready to play and battle for ice time.   

D group is going to be fun to watch next season, lot's of potential there

I can't believe people are leaving Tryamkin out of the starting lineup. 

Did you guys not watch him last season? He was one of our best defenders near the end of the season (not saying much) while adjusting to NA ice and barely being able to speak English.

His conditioning was the only thing that was bad and he's been working hard on it in the off season. 

He's going to be a beast next season.

Sbisa or one of Tanev/Edler will most likely get traded. 

3 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I can't believe people are leaving Tryamkin out of the starting lineup. 

Did you guys not watch him last season? He was one of our best defenders near the end of the season (not saying much) while adjusting to NA ice and barely being able to speak English.

His conditioning was the only thing that was bad and he's been working hard on it in the off season. 

He's going to be a beast next season.

Sbisa or one of Tanev/Edler will most likely get traded. 

I heard Tryamkin say he was going to lean out, and lose weight.  He said the game here is a lot faster than the KHL, and he needed to be quicker.  Plus, he said he wanted to show he can play an offensive role too.  The guy is a player, who is definitely going to be in our starting line-up.

Juolevi

Linden is tempering expectations on their prize young defenseman. I think the kid is going to go home and put on some muscle. He will go to the young stars in Penticton with one thing in mind.  At training came he could blow their socks off which could force their hand. Stan Smyl is already impressed with the kid.

They have said that if someone earns a spot then they will make room.

Just now, appleboy said:

Juolevi

Linden is tempering expectations on their prize young defenseman. I think the kid is going to go home and put on some muscle. He will go to the young stars in Penticton with one thing in mind.  At training came he could blow their socks off which could force their hand. Stan Smyl is already impressed with the kid.

They have said that if someone earns a spot then they will make room.

Young D, who do play in the NHL seem to have very high hockey IQs.  This kid is the smartest of the smartest.  He is tall, at 6'3" now, so being thick enough might hold him back a season. 

Archived