The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My opinion on Virtanen for next season...

Sean Avery

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You could take that as he's going to Utica, sure. Doesn't mean he is but obviously they're not ruling out options. I'm betting he'll be here. If not, I'll gladly say I was wrong. 

TL also added they don't have another player with JV's physical like presence in their top nine too.  So it's a bit of both maybe?

Just now, Alflives said:

TL also added they don't have another player with JV's physical like presence in their top nine too.  So it's a bit of both maybe?

Thanks for the update. It's his spot to lose, really, and up to him. Hopefully he can use necessity to his development advantage. 

1 hour ago, JtotheRuss said:

I appreciate what you're saying about being a first time 

I appreciate what you say about being a first time poster. But then again, maybe I felt that was a topic with contributing to. 

While I do agree it would be a tough pill to swallow if he was placed in Utica regardless of how well he does in camp, it's not like he would be assigned there for the year. Good players deal with adversity and become better for it. He could work his way back very quickly with the right attitude. 

With respect to my sources, I have friends in the league - admittedly none on the canucks though. Some of these friends have played with Virtanen on teams in the past, others are well aware of the reputation he has gained. I have no issue being hated around the league (i.e. see Milan Lucic) - although when it is former teammates making reference to attitude it could be an issue. I admit that the comment about current teammates is second hand info, but the sedins openly called out some younger players this year for the first time in their career - citing that they didn't show respect for the game and what it took to be a professional. There are numerous articles - including a recent one quoting Burrows - that identifies these two players as Virtanen and Hutton. This corroborates what I am hearing. 

Finally, as I have already mentioned with respect to partying, I've seen it myself when I'm out - mid-season and off-season. I have friends and social media feeds that frequently show him lit up at bars. And i also know people he is friends with. Ive heard that he's partying less this off-season (after he's been spoken to), but he's still described as a guy who needs a little maturity and each of these people are concerned about him as a person and as a potential NHL player. I've never seen or heard of the Sedins, Sutter, Bieksa, Kesler, or any other prominent Canuck partying downtown at any point. 

Again, to make it clear, I actually really like Virtanen. I've met him a few times and he seems like a really nice kid. I also think he is the physical power-forward type player the Canucks have lacked and need. But I certainly don't want to see him in a canucks uniform this year to accelerate short-term success when he has the potential to be a difference-maker long term with the right attitude, maturity, and dedication. 

social media. I bet Kesler was having a lot of fun in his younger days as well, but with the way technology keeps everybody in the loop in the modern age, everyone seems to know exactly what the pros are doing.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Thanks for the update. It's his spot to lose, really, and up to him. Hopefully he can use necessity to his development advantage. 

Weren't his corsi numbers top on the team? He wasn't the problem last year.

20 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Weren't his corsi numbers top on the team? He wasn't the problem last year.

You're right. He was. Not a lot of goals against for his line when he's on the ice. So, we're waiting for more offensive confidence, which will come. Sending him down leaves a real defensive hole on the third line that no one else can fill since he was so high.

So, really, he fills legitimate physical and defensive needs.

I'm hopeful Jake will figure it out.  Id be ok with him going down if he doesn't amaze.  I think he needs to bring the offense.  

Having green tutor him longer then the couple weeks before wjc might really help him.  He could get more one on one time.

Even just a short 3 month stint could be huge for his offense.  I want him to be an electric player and we've seen he can be.

Whether that be the gwg in the prospects camps on the breakaway or his epic tying goal vs Florida when we had the bench clearing end of game shuffle.

I want him too be exciting and get me out of my seat.  I think he has that potential and we saw it in his chl clips. Hopefully now with his defensive side fine tuned hopefully we see more of his explosive offense.

I like explosive Jakes offense

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Daniel-Hendrik-Virtanen 

Eat it haters. 

If JV has the fitness to play the minutes, he would work with the Twins.  It the minutes at top effort he just might not have the fitness for yet.  

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Daniel-Hendrik-Virtanen 

Eat it haters. 

That combo didn't really work..IMO....The twins need an aggressive forechecker who is good at digging out pucks,and understanding their short nifty passes..It wasn't Jake...

That being said,I'm excited to see how Jake does at training camp this Fall..

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

That combo didn't really work..IMO....The twins need an aggressive forechecker who is good at digging out pucks,and understanding their short nifty passes..It wasn't Jake...

That being said,I'm excited to see how Jake does at training camp this Fall..

It's really going to depend I think on how Jake develops. It could work if he develops that direction. A few games sample-size of Jake with the Sedins (on Jake's rookie  season no less) is rather small in my opinion.

Putting Virtanen in the AHL will just stunt his development at this point. In hindsight, MAYBE another year in junior may have been the better choice, then bringing him upto the AHL for a season after that would have been better. It just seems too late now to demote him. It seems to me, more often than not that players of his ilk don't start off with 20-30 goal seasons, their game evolves into the NHL.

Personally though, albeit a little off topic: I'd just like to see WD give the lines some consistency this season. I know last season had injuries to deal with, but chemistry can't happen if he doesn't allow for some of it to develop. Maybe Virt will have some success playing with the same guys for more than a game or two.

Imo on Virt: Showed a lot of promise, seemed very professional last season and took his position seriously and will undoubtably turn into a PRO NHLER which is why he was a good draft pick for us, however, until he shows me otherwise by realizing some of his offensive potential, imo 6th overall was too high of a place to draft him, especially with the few peices that were on the table at the time still.

35 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Imo on Virt: Showed a lot of promise, seemed very professional last season and took his position seriously and will undoubtably turn into a PRO NHLER which is why he was a good draft pick for us, however, until he shows me otherwise by realizing some of his offensive potential, imo 6th overall was too high of a place to draft him, especially with the few peices that were on the table at the time still.

The toolset he brings he not one that develops quickly. Think Eric Lindros. Lindros is the measuring stick for player like Jake. It will take him time. I would rather watch him grow on the team than a player like Prust, Etem etc fumble around on the 4th line.

1 hour ago, Realtor Rod said:

The toolset he brings he not one that develops quickly. Think Eric Lindros. Lindros is the measuring stick for player like Jake. It will take him time. I would rather watch him grow on the team than a player like Prust, Etem etc fumble around on the 4th line.

Sorry, but seriously...WTF? Lindros?

Jake's game is NOTHING like Lindros. And Lindros took no time at all to dominate. So I have no idea what you're getting at here.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Sorry, but seriously...WTF? Lindros?

Jake's game is NOTHING like Lindros. And Lindros took no time at all to dominate. So I have no idea what you're getting at here.

Lindros took no time to dominate because there really wasn't a player like Lindros in the NHL at the time. He's called a prototypical power foward for a reason.

Archived