The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hockey Writers 2016-17 Predictions

Honky Cat

51 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Since the Laffs became the gold standard lol.

Just do it like the Laffzzz!!!  and Coilers.   The Leafs 'future core' of smurf forwards is looking eerily similar to the Coilers 'future core' of the past half decade.

Everyone knows you win with a few forwards, right.

TheScore called the Leafs the #1 best organization in the entire NHL... despite being the worst team.  Would seem the "writers" are all falling over themselves trying to one-up the Leafs and one-down the Canucks.  Soon the Leafs will be a dynasty and the Canucks #35, as even potential expansion cities that have yet to be rewarded teams have better organizations.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

TheScore called the Leafs the #1 best organization in the entire NHL... despite being the worst team.  Would seem the "writers" are all falling over themselves trying to one-up the Leafs and one-down the Canucks.  Soon the Leafs will be a dynasty and the Canucks #35, as even potential expansion cities that have yet to be rewarded teams have better organizations.

You must hate the burden you carry of always being right. :o

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It sounds like this guy discusses the reality of our team.  Every hockey source says we should be rebuilding, not retooling.  Oh well, as some very smart posters have pointed out here, once the Twins leave, we will get those tank picks needed for elite talent several years in a row.  

Here you make sense for once.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Any hack can publish for that amateurish source.

Some of the worst material I've seen comes from THW.

ANALYSIS: The Canucks aren’t rebuilding, rather retooling, but that denial will likely be their downfall in what is shaping up to be another humbling season. I have Vancouver locked in as a draft lottery team for the second straight year, but the powers that be for this franchise are much more optimistic about the Canucks’ playoff chances with the current roster. They added Loui Eriksson to flank the Sedin twins on the top line and essentially replaced Dan Hamhuis with Erik Gudbranson on defence. Those weren’t bad moves, but the overall depth and quality of talent isn’t on par with the rest of the division or conference in my opinion. I do like Willie Desjardins as a coach, much more so than Jim Benning as a GM, so it’s possible that Desjardins milks that lineup for more than it’s worth. However, if the Sedins slow down or get hurt for any length of time, the Canucks will be doomed. They don’t have the supporting cast to overcome the loss of Henrik or Daniel, let alone both. Vancouver should get solid goaltending again from the tandem of Ryan Miller and Jacob Markstrom, with the latter expected to take over as starter at some point this season. Unless Markstrom emerges as a Vezina candidate, I just don’t see any way the Canucks muster more than a middle-of-the-pack finish and that wouldn’t be in their best interests at this point. Embrace the rebuild. Bring on Nolan Patrick, not Evander Kane.

All credibility went out the window. He obviously knows nothing about this team other than what the media tells ppl

I like WD as a coach but only until we're ready to compete, even when we are I'm sure Benning will give him a season or 2 to see if he can ultimately get us that cup, but I doubt WD will be that guy. I can't wait until Benning draft picks start showing the media their stuff, JB is a genius and idc who says different, they're wrong. I can't prove it right now all I can tell u is follow his moves and compare the roster and prospect pool he inherited to what it is now, it's an epic improvment, especially our D and goaltending!

The media is stupid, and they write about crap they know nothing or very little about because stupid curious people like myself will click that link just to get a laugh about how stupiD they are and make them $ lol

I can't wait until Benning picks start making the big club. Tryamkin is going to be a BEAUTY this year just watch

Pretty sad when these so-called expert sports writers think that since the Canucks did really bad last year because of all the injuries then it will be exactly if not worse the next year... fricken idiots.

Last year was a bad luck year.  If they can keep the core together for the entire year, I can see the Nucks definitely in the playoffs

7 minutes ago, Odjick_fan said:

Pretty sad when these so-called expert sports writers think that since the Canucks did really bad last year because of all the injuries then it will be exactly if not worse the next year... fricken idiots.

Last year was a bad luck year.  If they can keep the core together for the entire year, I can see the Nucks definitely in the playoffs

And if the injuries to our key players, who are older where injuries are more likely, do occur again then who is the idiot, when we are in the draft lottery again?  No, you are not an idiot, and you will never be one.  However, many of the people espousing doom for our team are pretty smart and experienced hockey minds.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And if the injuries to our key players, who are older where injuries are more likely, do occur again then who is the idiot, when we are in the draft lottery again?  No, you are not an idiot, and you will never be one.  However, many of the people espousing doom for our team are pretty smart and experienced hockey minds.  

Yeah, kinda like ranking an expansion team that didn't do anything above 14 other GMs. Very smart, and professional.

/s

1 hour ago, khay said:

How many teams have the supporting case to overcome the loss of two star players?

Say Kopitar and Doughty gets injured. LA is done. No? Toewes and Kane goes down. 

Exactly. 

Crosby and Malkin both injured - Pit is done.   Same for SJ if big & little Joe are both injured. 

Yet another reason why THW are barely better than a teen blogger working out of his mom's basement. 

43 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

This kind of publicity is going to bite the Leafs in the ass in the long run..especially if they don't measure up....Are the Leafs really going to throw those kids against the other teams top 6...?..I think that they're going to get demolished.

I don't know why people are griping so much.  I am trying to take a far more objective approach to the season.

We got a shade younger, while also getting a shade more experienced from our youth.  We got tougher on the blue line and deeper in the prospects department.

But THW, Score, TSN and almost universally every major analyst has the Canucks finishing in the bottom 10.  There IS a reason for this and it is not blind hate for Vancouver or love for TO

OK, to simply make the playoffs, you have to beat your division.  Can we capably say we can do that at this moment in time?

Let's dissect the teams that weren't pegged as cup contenders in our division that we should capably beat.

Oilers, needed goaltending defense and toughness.  What did they do?  They now have Lucic/Maroon/Kassian that's 3 lines of crazy right there.  They have an older Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhardt and Larson now.  That is a big and very mobile defensive group that is still incredibly young.  They brought in the Goose to back up Talbot who was actually really good in front of a porous defense.

Flames, needed more balanced scoring and goaltending as they have arguably one of the deepest and best pools for blue liners in the league; that just got deeper after this draft and a shade older.  They added Elliott who arguably is a top 10 goalie in this league; if Calgary stops 1 goal per game last year in 25 matches, they make the playoffs.  They also got a shade deeper up front as well.  Nobody will say Tkachuk is NHL ready but he's certainly not a lock to go back to juniors based on his play either.

Arizona, Needed X and Y and Z and with one of the deepest forward prospect pools in the league did everything they needed to in shoring up the defense.  Drafted up Chychrun who is without question physically NHL ready and has something to prove, has an older core now of young stud forwards and really only has questionable goaltending and a suspect bottom 5-6 D

I look at the teams we SHOULD beat and know that if Markstrom is not getting 55+ starts, we have our annual medical parade on the blueline and lose any one of Horvat, Sedin, Sedin or Sutter we're a lottery team.  There are HUGE questions for this team that is not nearly as deep as they appear or skilled as some on here seem to think they are.

I cannot see us breaking the top 10 for this season in the West with the moves everyone else made.  Colorado will hire a new coach and be better, Hawks, Wild, Jets, Blues, Sharks, Ducks, Kings, Preds, Stars all almost seem like they could be locks for the playoffs.  Deeper, faster, bigger, younger and arguably as or more skilled.

I mean i LOVE my Canucks, I suffered through the king Richard days of the 80's the Keenan days and more and have earned the right to be realistic about our chances this year.

On paper we're a bubble team.  Realistically; we're one injury away from a lottery pick.  Not hatred, not hating, not blind homerism or love for another team

Just brutal honesty.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Has the Leafs finishing ahead of Detroit and Boston....

A handful of lines of "analysis" on each team doesn't even scratch the surface.  

Waste of a read imo.

Please post the content in the OP so it's not merely click-baiting for outside sources.

Everyone is always out to get us, everyone!! :)

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

how many teams in nhl history have done full rebuilds?...which ones worked?...how many have done retools? how many have improved their teams? have any teams won the stanley cup without a full rebuild? how many gm's of nhl teams, prefer the full rebuild? how many prefer the slower method?...how many gm's run their team's building according to hockey scribes and posters.?

hmm thats alot of questions. not sure what your trying to say.... but the blackhawks have won 3 stanley cups after they drafted #1. seemed to work for them.

Well hearing that from legit industry pundits is one thing, hearing that from "writers" like those guys on T.H.W. who could very well be one of us given their writing competency (and I'm being generous to them here) doesn't give them much credibility.  

Someone might as well start an article stating sources (e.g. your neighbor Billy's girlfriend's boss' grandma's favorite barista at Starbucks) that the Oil will trade McDavid to us for Chris Tanev, Brandon Sutter and a 2nd.

What a load of horse shi@...

2 years ago we were supposed to be mince meat, yet made the playoffs. Last year half of the team were down with injuries, so not really a surprise Canucks ended up were they did.

If either Sedin go down long term, Canucks will end at the bottom of the pile.. Yeah right Einstein, If McDavid goes down long term

Coilers will be toast (probably will be anyway). Same old story every year about how good they are.

Archived