The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign F Sean Monahan [7 year x $6.3M AAV]

b3.

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meaning unless Horvat eclipses the 60 point plateau in the next few seasons he should be a 5.15 million per year contract?

Monahan is an absolute gem.  Anyone saying they wouldn't want that guy on their team is out to lunch.  Great signing

Monahan has proved without a doubt that he's going to put up around 30 goals and 30 assists minimum...Horvat is the same draft year as Monahan,but is a different kind of player,so I don't know how the Canucks will quantify his value..?...

2 hours ago, DoughtysCheck said:

great deal for the flames. 6.3 cap hit.

By comparable, Bo should be making 4.2 mil/season

Lol. Nope.  It really pains me to say this, but Bo isn't in Hanna Monahana's league yet.   YET.

That kid is an exceptional talent. 

This contract is going to be a huge bargin soon.  

Add Bennett, Hamilton, Tkachuk. 

The flames are going to be a great team for a long time.  

OH. I almost forgot to add.  

F@&k the Flames!

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Meaning unless Horvat eclipses the 60 point plateau in the next few seasons he should be a 5.15 million per year contract?

Monahan is an absolute gem.  Anyone saying they wouldn't want that guy on their team is out to lunch.  Great signing

Well it all depends... 

If he does eclipse 60 points even, he doesn't deserve the 6 million mark. Mony did it two years in a row to get this pay day and he out produced Bo in his rookie season. 

I'd be happy with a 5 year 20 million for Bo if he signed right now. 

If he hits 60 this year, then 5 year 25 mill 

Based on this then JG should be in the 7 - 7.5 range leaving very little wiggle room for them this year.

They got some salary off the books next season but also have Bennett as RFA  - if he gets 50+ pts then what's he worth to them? 

Also,  once they figure out their goaltending sucks,  what are they going to do there? 

25 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Lol. Nope.  It really pains me to say this, but Bo isn't in Hanna Monahana's league yet.   YET.

F@&k the Flames!

I wonder if they could end up being significant contenders without ever truly tanking? :o 

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Average goaltending ≠ contender. 

I agree. But I don't think that's something that's impossible to remedy. 

Edit:  I think even with good goaltending they're still a few years away...and their young players may or may not develop the way they're expected to.  We'll see! 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Ok, but they didn't draft those players, those other teams did. They drafted Monahan, who's a phenomenal talent.

Not as if they can just say, "Hey, we like Monahan, but we like 1st overall pick MacKinnon instead :wacko:"

Im just saying the players under his salary.

58 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

F@&k the Flames!

I'm not so convinced the the Flames are going to be "great"....Hamilton has not lived up to all of the hype,as of yet...Gio is 32..and will they still be looking for a #1 goalie in a few years..?

9 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

Im just saying the players under his salary.

That's fair. Everyone has their own preference.

I think people undervalue Monahan big time. Out of all the guys you mentioned, only one of them has two 60 point seasons like him (Forsberg), and only one has scored 30 goals in a season like he has (Forsberg). Him receiving that amount is fair; especially considering he put up those numbers in, what is generally considered to be a tougher Conference to score in.

46 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I wonder if they could end up being significant contenders without ever truly tanking? :o 

Brian Burke couldent find a good goalie at an Allstar game.    He sucks just like Calgary and everyone in it.  Haha

(I grew up near Calgary. I hate the place)

22 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm not so convinced the the Flames are going to be "great"....Hamilton has not lived up to all of the hype,as of yet...Gio is 32..and will they still be looking for a #1 goalie in a few years..?

The hype of a 9th overall pick? He had his best year last season after an incredibly slow start, finishing with 12 goals and 43 points; all while playing under a new system, all while playing for a poor coach. I'd say he's doing just fine.

As for still looking for a number one goalie. Jeez, what does Brian Elliott have to do to gain some respect around the league? Obviously putting up some of the best numbers over the past several seasons isn't doing it.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

As for still looking for a number one goalie. Jeez, what does Brian Elliott have to do to gain some respect around the league? Obviously putting up some of the best numbers over the several seasons isn't doing it.

...behind a great defense and an entire team of solid two way forwards.

I'm not saying he's a bad goalie but his numbers clearly benefited from playing behind those guys.

See: Thomas, Tim.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

...behind a great defense and an entire team of solid two way forwards.

I'm not saying he's a bad goalie but his numbers clearly benefited from playing behind those guys.

See: Thomas, Tim.

Of course a goalie is only as good as his defense. I played goalie from the age of 6-15, so I know that a good defense helps. But unless you're Dominik Hasek, every goalie needs a good defense to be set up for success.

Although a small sample size, look at what James Reimer was able to do in San Jose in his brief tenure. Having good defense helps, but having a sh*tty goalie to back them up won't help either (ie: Pavelec).

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Of course a goalie is only as good as his defense. I played goalie from the age of 6-15, so I know that a good defense helps. But unless you're Dominik Hasek, every goalie needs a good defense to be set up for success.

Although a small sample size, look at what James Reimer was able to do in San Jose in his brief tenure. Having good defense helps, but having a sh*tty goalie to back them up won't help either (ie: Pavelec).

Point is, I don't think anyone would describe him as 'elite'. He's a solid '1B'. 

Is that enough? Time will tell... but he's hardly the strength of their club. Nor is he likely their weakest link either. He's 'capable'.

Archived