The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[article] NHL Teams Most in Need of Late Improvements Before the 2016-17 Season

Ted Lasso

From The Bleacher Report.  Interesting to note that we are 8/8 on their list - seems a more balanced assessment. Also like how they've specified reliable defensive depth as a need, while still respecting the value of Hutton and Tryamkin.

full article: http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2659815-nhl-teams-most-in-need-of-late-improvements-before-the-2016-17-season/page/8#

Vancouver Canucks

of 8
Vancouver Canucks

Tony Avelar/Associated Press 

Second-line scoring and reliable depth on defense were areas the Vancouver Canucksneeded to improve entering 2015-16. Approaching 2016-17, those issues remain to be addressed. 

The Canucks second line could be comprised of center Brandon Sutter and wingers Sven Baertschi and Jannik Hansen. Sutter, 27, played only 20 games last season and is best suited as a checking-line center. Hansen 30, tallied 22 goals and 38 points in 67 games, while the 23-year-old Baertschi had 28 points in 69 games.

Defenseman Erik Gudbranson, acquired from the Florida Panthers, replaces departed veteran Dan Hamhuis. Alexander Edler is their best puck-moving blueliner, while Christopher Tanevhas become a good two-way defender. Nikita Tryamkin and Ben Hutton have promise but lack experience. 

Addressing the lack of scoring depth appears the priority. On Aug. 5, Canucks general manager Jim Benning told TSN 1040 (via Chris Nichols of Today's Slapshot) he was exploring his trade and free-agent options. He doesn't rule out bringing in a free agent via a professional tryout offer. 

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Haha, yeah. The bit on Boston needing a D was interesting- made me wonder if they're a potential trade partner. 

NJ and Detroit as well.  Things are going to start heating up really soon, what with so many teams close to the salary cap.  I suspect JB is being patient and watching carefully as things start to unfold.

I think they whiffed on the depth D aspect - should have focused on the secondary scoring - (but this is Bleacher report we're talking about.).

Sbisa Tryamkin - not exactly a shaky third pairing by any stretch of the imagination no matter how 'inexperienced' they think Tryamkin is (four years playing against men in the KHL is more experience than most guys coming out of junior, college or the AHL have...

Not really worried about him in the least - or the fact they also have Pedan and Larsen to step into 6 or 7 spots if necessary.  

That's actually pretty damn good depth that a whole lot of teams would like to be able to match.

As for the 2nd line - not a mystery that they're looking to add gritty middle six scoring, but at the same time, they're not exactly hard up with a player like Baertshi, or the young and veteran depth they have for their bottom six.  I think Etem is going to emerge as a solid tweener this season - and imo Baertschi playing with a pair of vets like Sutter and Hansen is a solid enough second line, particularly when you can follow it up with the Etem Horvat line.

I'd prefer these 'problems' over those of the past.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think they whiffed on the depth D aspect - should have focused on the secondary scoring.

Sbisa Tryamkin - not exactly a shaky third pairing by any stretch of the imagination no matter how 'inexperienced' they think Tryamkin is (four years playing against men in the KHL is more experience than most guys coming out of junior, college or the AHL have...

Not really worried about him in the least - or the fact they also have Pedan and Larsen to step into 6 or 7 spots if necessary.  

That's actually pretty damn good depth that a whole lot of teams would like to be able to match.

As for the 2nd line - not a mystery that they're looking to add gritty middle six scoring, but at the same time, they're not exactly hard up with a player like Baertshi, or the young and veteran depth they have for their bottom six.  I think Etem is going to emerge as a solid tweener this season - and imo Baertschi playing with a pair of vets like Sutter and Hansen is a solid enough second line, particularly when you can follow it up with the Etem Horvat line.

I dig your positivity.

Tryamkin and Hutton are similar in that they weren't rushed into the league both spent 3-4 years in university or the KHL to develop. Although they are adapting to the NHL they seem to both have taken bigger steps than raw 18-20 year old rookies.

I think they both won't have sophmore jinxes because of that.

27 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

"Edler remains their best puck moving defensman"

All I needed to see.

Article seems pretty accurate, including Edler still being our best puck-moving D-man. The Edler hate on the CDC is a joke. Most of the rest of the league still seems him as our best D-man.

I'll agree that his consistency level can be super frustrating as can his wavering confidence (Tortorella time). Still, he is considered our best D-man by most around the league. He never should have been considered elite or Norris-worthy by the media and Canuck fanboys.

Just like a lot of teams, there are a little of ifs with the Canucks.

If they stay much healthier

If Hutton improves a bit instead of slumping

If Horvat, Baertschi, Gaunce, Etem, Tryamkin all take a step

If Larsen is the puck mover he might be

If Tanev improves offensively 

If Rodin can translate his dominance of the SEL to the NHL 

And so on....

Every team has the same list. If a larger percentage come true than not they will make the playoffs.  If a small percentage come true they are in the lottery.  

Yes the Canucks could use some scoring insurance with some grit.  No I wouldn't want to give up Tanev or Hutton to get it.

Trust in Jim to make a bolstering move that doesn't hurt the future much.

I'm not so sure about the guy who wrote this article.  The Sabres should be one of the top teams in need on this list.  They're loaded up front but need a couple of solid young defencemen.  That's the only thing that will keep them from making the playoffs this year.

In my opinion Vancouver needs depth to cover injuries more than it needs any one specific thing.  Last season made that painfully obvious.

The Canucks are rebuilding on the fly, not from scratch.  There are some promising players on the team.

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think they whiffed on the depth D aspect - should have focused on the secondary scoring - (but this is Bleacher report we're talking about.).

A lot of 'ifs' and 'question marks' about this Canuck roster. Nothing wrong with that as this team rebuilds. Fans should not expect a CUP contender.

Baer-Sutter-Hanson has a lot of potential as a 2nd line. I don't want to see another vet signed unless either Burrows or Dorsett go. It is more important that this roster has TOI to develop and assess the talent they have. Signing Eriksson on RW gives WD some flexibility. The 3rd line with Horvat as C is ideal. Horvat could easily overcome his slow starts and become the 2C by year end.

As said earlier this season is all about TOI for the young players and an assessment process which allows Benning to deal into the TDL.  

19 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Article seems pretty accurate, including Edler still being our best puck-moving D-man. The Edler hate on the CDC is a joke. Most of the rest of the league still seems him as our best D-man.

I'll agree that his consistency level can be super frustrating as can his wavering confidence (Tortorella time). Still, he is considered our best D-man by most around the league. He never should have been considered elite or Norris-worthy by the media and Canuck fanboys.

I agree...seems pretty spot on.  Not the doom and gloom of most Eastern media who has us in last place in the league.

Hutton and Tryamkin are definitely still question marks.  Just because our defence doesn't look like quite the tire fire it was last season, it doesn't mean it is great.  Give us two injuries in our top 4 and we are almost certainly hooped.  

Edler IS our best offensive D man.... Hutton "could" be better than him in that regard in the near future, but still hasn't proven it.  Just because Edler plateaued into a solid but not spectacular D and didn't become that true #1 everyone hoped, doesn't mean he is garbage.  

Archived