The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Toews donates $1 million to community center

Coconuts

Didn't see a thread on this so I figured I'd throw it up. Love seeing this sort of thing happen. Not a Blackhawks fan by any means, but you've gotta respect a guy for giving back.

Here's a source

Jonathan Toews donates $1 million to community center

Blackhawks captain will serve as honorary chair of Dakota Futures Capital Campaign

NHL.com @NHL

12:52 PM

cut.jpg

Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews has donated $1 million to the Winnipeg-based Dakota Community Centre's Dakota Futures Capital Campaign and will serve as the campaign's honorary chair.

READ MORE: NHL players from Winnipeg remember rinks of their youth

Toews, a Winnipeg native, began playing hockey at the community center, and its 95,000-square-foot recreational facility has been known as the Jonathan Toews Sportsplex since 2014. The campaign, which is the largest fundraising effort in the community center's history, is expected to go toward construction of a 60,000-square-foot fieldhouse that will connect to the Sportsplex.

"From my earliest days playing hockey, Dakota Community Centre has always played a pivotal role in my upbringing and career," Toews said. "Today I continue to be honored to have my name associated with the Sportsplex on the Dakota campus. My parents have instilled in me the importance of giving back, and I believe that in supporting Dakota, we will see endless possibilities for the community center's future and transformation in the lives of our community members." 

Toews' donation is the largest private donation to a community center in Manitoba. It comes after his charitable efforts with The Kitchen Community, a non-profit organization that installs edible gardens in underserved schools, where he raffled off a meet-and-greet for Chicago's game against the Detroit Red Wings on Jan. 10 to two fans who donated at least $10.

I love this.

I'm no fan of the hawks, the opposite really, but you gotta give respect to someone who pays that much money for a community centre. 

I tip tip my hat of to you, sir:)

Jonathan Toews is a champion on all fronts...I have a Jonathan Toews story to share, if you guys would allow me.

One of my best friend who lives in Oakville, ON had a dying nine-year-old daughter whose last wish was to meet Jonathan Toews, her favorite hockey player.  Through mutual friends of ours in Winnipeg (St. Vital, the neighborhood Toews grew up and played his minor hockey) whose son played minor hockey with Toews from the time they were six years old, Jonathan Toews found out about this.  

Through the 'hawks publicist, Toews made arrangements for my friend, his wife and two daughters (one of who was dying of inoperable brain cancer) to a special night at the ACC when the 'hawks were in Toronto.  After the game, Toews brought the family to the 'hawks dressing room, hosted them, and made my friend's daughter feel like a rock star and gave her an experience that lit her up like a Christmas tree and helped her forget about her cancer for an evening.  For my friend and his family, receiving this sort of care and attention from Jonathan Toews for their daughter was priceless and they could not be more grateful.  My friend's daughter passed away two years ago, but to this day, Jonathan Toews and his parents keep in contact with my friend and his wife.

Hockey players and pro athletes who take time and make dying childrens' wishes come true are true champions whether they have a Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, NBA championship ring or not.

6 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Jonathan Toews is a champion on all fronts...I have a Jonathan Toews story to share, if you guys would allow me.

One of my best friend who lives in Oakville, ON had a dying nine-year-old daughter whose last wish was to meet Jonathan Toews, her favorite hockey player.  Through mutual friends of ours in Winnipeg (St. Vital, the neighborhood Toews grew up and played his minor hockey) whose son played minor hockey with Toews from the time they were six years old, Jonathan Toews found out about this.  

Through the 'hawks publicist, Toews made arrangements for my friend, his wife and two daughters (one of who was dying of inoperable brain cancer) to a special night at the ACC when the 'hawks were in Toronto.  After the game, Toews brought the family to the 'hawks dressing room, hosted them, and made my friend's daughter feel like a rock star and gave her an experience that lit her up like a Christmas tree and helped her forget about her cancer for an evening.  For my friend and his family, receiving this sort of care and attention from Jonathan Toews for their daughter was priceless and they could not be more grateful.  My friend's daughter passed away two years ago, but to this day, Jonathan Toews and his parents keep in contact with my friend and his wife.

Hockey players and pro athletes who take time and make dying childrens' wishes come true are true champions whether they have a Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, NBA championship ring or not.

That's a really cool story and Toews is a class act, good stuff.

17 hours ago, Green Goblin said:

I can't believe he wasn't picked 1st overall after his performance for Team Canada prior to the draft.

1 Erik Johnson (D) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States St. Louis Blues US NTDP (NAHL)
2 Jordan Staal (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Pittsburgh Penguins Peterborough Petes (OHL)
3 Jonathan Toews (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Chicago Blackhawks University of North Dakota (WCHA)

Chicago is pretty happy how it turned out. 

On December 7, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Green Goblin said:

I can't believe he wasn't picked 1st overall after his performance for Team Canada prior to the draft.

1 Erik Johnson (D) 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States St. Louis Blues US NTDP (NAHL)
2 Jordan Staal (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Pittsburgh Penguins Peterborough Petes (OHL)
3 Jonathan Toews (C) 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Canada Chicago Blackhawks University of North Dakota (WCHA)

He was drafted before that legendary performance, but yeah that was awesome.

Growing up only a couple minutes from that rink I am kind of disappointed that he donated the whole amount to the 1 centre.

The area that this community centre is located is a higher end community and the facility was already probably one of if not the most updated and nicest places you could play hockey in Winnipeg. It has 2 rinks, a full sized gymnasium and a large workout gym in the basement along with 3 outdoor rinks that are very well kept.

I get that he grew up at that community centre but knowing he did he would have also noticed the other arenas around the city were older and out-dated with less than average conditions.

Wish he spread the love and donated some in the less fortunate communities that have community centres, but oh well, still a super generous gesture. 

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎09 at 0:11 PM, canuck204 said:

Growing up only a couple minutes from that rink I am kind of disappointed that he donated the whole amount to the 1 centre.

The area that this community centre is located is a higher end community and the facility was already probably one of if not the most updated and nicest places you could play hockey in Winnipeg. It has 2 rinks, a full sized gymnasium and a large workout gym in the basement along with 3 outdoor rinks that are very well kept.

I get that he grew up at that community centre but knowing he did he would have also noticed the other arenas around the city were older and out-dated with less than average conditions.

Wish he spread the love and donated some in the less fortunate communities that have community centres, but oh well, still a super generous gesture. 

He likely worked with the city to put the money where it fit their plan. There is always a plan.

Archived