The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Team 1040 December 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

15 minutes ago, J.R. said:

All draft picks hold value, even if they never play a game for you in the NHL, they have numerous different ways to bring value to your organization.

Here some facts for you to chew on. 

At the end of 2014 the average age of the roster was 26.54.  Today the average age is 27.

At the end of 2014 canucks had 6 regulars over the age of 30, Today we have 8.

At the end of 2014

Under 30 - Richardson, Santorelli, Hansen, Kesler

Under 25 - Weber, Welsh, Dalpe, Lain, Schroeder, Stanton, Tanev Archibald, Kassian, Zalewki,

20 and under - Corrado, Jensen, Hutton, Horvat, Shinkaruk

At the end of 2014 we finished with 83 points.

In 2016 we finished with 75 points

In 2017 we are on pace for 79 points

Tell me again how valuable those age gaps were?  They’ve really accomplished a lot.

I don’t even think you understand the point you are trying to make. 

It's funny how you changed you tune.  Is it The picks were necessary to move in order for us to fill and "age gap" or is it, picks don't usually turn out so who cares?  Either way it's a pour stance. 

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Exactly. Some peripheral attempts didn't work out. But you still see people mention Corrado. Its like CDC is a place to come and complain.... oh.... wait....

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

All draft picks hold value, even if they never play a game for you in the NHL, they have numerous different ways to bring value to your organization.

Here some facts for you to chew on. 

At the end of 2014 the average age of the roster was 26.54.  Today the average age is 27.

At the end of 2014 canucks had 6 regulars over the age of 30, Today we have 8.

At the end of 2014

Under 30 - Richardson, Santorelli, Hansen, Kesler

Under 25 - Weber, Welsh, Dalpe, Lain, Schroeder, Stanton, Tanev Archibald, Kassian, Zalewki,

20 and under - Corrado, Jensen, Hutton, Horvat, Shinkaruk

At the end of 2014 we finished with 83 points.

In 2016 we finished with 75 points

In 2017 we are on pace for 79 points

Tell me again how valuable those age gaps were?  They’ve really accomplished a lot.

I don’t even think you understand the point you are trying to make. 

It's funny how you changed you tune.  Is it The picks were necessary to move in order for us to fill and "age gap" or is it, picks don't usually turn out so who cares?  Either way it's a pour stance. 

18 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think Miller and Edler should go, then perhaps Hansen at the deadline. Probably would keep the Sedins and burrows as they hate losing and at this point in their careers ,have very low trade value.

I don't get trading Hansen. You would be very lucky to get a draft pick for him that will turn into the kind of player that he already is.

The whole not asking guys to waive their NTC or not shopping them so we can rebuild is silly.

Sutter's NTC doesn't kick in until 19-20 so what obligation does Benning have to him. I hate that Benning would rather lose someone for nothing than trade someone on the last year of their contract.

Benning should trade guys like Hansen and Burrows at the TDL so we can protect Granlund and Baertschi from expansion.

Let Burrows go play for a contender even if you only get a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'm sure Burrows would come back next season if he were offered a deal.

4 hours ago, Fateless said:

I'm still very unhappy that they're flat-out unwilling to look at trading any of the remaining NTC players. 

As it currently stands, we're going to be exposing one of Baer or Granlund because Burrows and Hansen both must be protected. While I love both Burrows and Hansen, I would much rather one or both of them be traded for picks and prospects. Hansen is a very valuable commodity right now and is the perfect player to help a team make a run at the cup. Burrows has shown he has value still and could likely garnish a 2nd or 3rd from a contender and we could very likely sign him back in free agency.

The fact that we may end up losing one of our young players that have been developing because management is unwilling to trade a vet makes me sick.

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in these six pages but neither of those two have to be protected. Especially but as he is on his last year of his contract. We only have four ntc players and out of those only elder I would shop this year. let te twins play out there last year and move them next year's tdl.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

A winning, contending team is what brings the fans, like what we've had the previous decade.  For the tankers, stripping the team will do the exact opposite and clear the rink completely. 

Point is, management isn't going to cowtow and change their plan due to a minority of complainers who admittedly do not even understand what they're doing.  Whether the plan succeeds or fails is yet to be seen, but they aren't changing it no matter how much the media and subset of fans voice their lack of comprehension.  Especially not a mere 2.5 years after they've begun.

Look at the arena. It's hardly a minority at this point.

I think playing exciting hockey and relying on the young players to drive the team even while going through a rebuild would bring fans back. 

Relying on the same 2011 players as your keys to winning and refusing to actually rebuild properly are hands down the biggest reasons I hear from people not renewing season tickets. Almost all have said that trying to go with a status quo core until they are completely useless is a very hated approach. Second place is that relying on those players like the Sedins and Edler to build your style around leads to very boring hockey to watch. People want to be excited about our team and there is nothing exciting about our vet players anymore to many people.

The rebuild should have started in earnest after 2012. How many chances did we give that stale core group with the same or worse results?

1 minute ago, ruututuutu said:

I don't get trading Hansen. You would be very lucky to get a draft pick for him that will turn into the kind of player that he already is.

I'd be hard pressed to move him for a late first, he's worth more to us than that IMO.

I also doubt we'd get that much, especially with the expansion draft.

It's a non-starter IMO.

2 minutes ago, fourtwentyfour said:

I'm sure it's been said somewhere in these six pages but neither of those two have to be protected. Especially but as he is on his last year of his contract. We only have four ntc players and out of those only elder I would shop this year. let te twins play out there last year and move them next year's tdl.

So losing Hansen for nothing is good asset management? Because Benning says he won't ask players to waive. So unless Hansen gets protected or asks for a trade he will be taken by Vegas.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Jim Benning's job is to build this team.  Not placate fans and the media.  Not to blow sunshine up their behinds.  Not to take advice from people who don't have a clue about how to run a sports franchise let alone build a good roster.  He was hired and is being paid to build a successful competitive team whether any of you like or agree with the process or not, and that isn't going to change, especially after just 2.5 years in.

As long as he keeps his picks and does what he does best, I'm happy. Give Benning 6 picks in a draft and at least 2-3 will end up great prospects. I like to hear he's not trading his second for once. 

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Typical JR, when you got nothing left you go into troll mode.... I didn't know i was supposed to ignore Corrado when listing off the complete 2014 roster?

Good thing you're not a fund manager...You haven't got a clue on asset management.  Many of the moves are just due to poor planning and easily avoidable.  I'm one of the biggest JB homers on here, but that doesn't mean i should make up excuses for him when mistakes are made. Mistakes are bound to happen, but you learn from it and move on.  JB's learned from it and wont be trading away picks this year (which i'm not even totally against depending on the circumstance).  I simply stated that's good news, which for some reason resulted in you being triggered, and now you wont even properly defend your reasoning.  

It's Friday, it's cold outside (-30 in Calgary), I'm done with this little squabble and moving on, i suggest you do the same.  Either way it's been a good time killer to get me through the last few hours of the day, have a good weekend, try to stay warm.

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So losing Hansen for nothing is good asset management? Because Benning says he won't ask players to waive. So unless Hansen gets protected or asks for a trade he will be taken by Vegas.

I don't think they would leave Hansen unprotected in order to protect one of Baer, Granny or Rodin.  Unless one of those guys picks up their game big time, Hansen stays.

Besides, if he was left unprotected, I suspect our Honey Badger asks for a trade to a contender.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Edler, for good or bad, is still our best D. But yes, before he starts to diminish in play and value.

I'd say he gets ragdolled often AND blocks a lot of shots. His style of play WILL break him down IMO. I admit freely that's my opinion.

No, that's assuming that some mix of Juolevi, Hutton, Gudbranson, Stetcher, Tryamkin, Brisebois and any other D we acquire remain or turn in to top 4 players. I'd say 4 of them already have shown to be or likely be, top 4 players. Whether any of them can develop in to top pair players is more crystal balling.

Imagine if Tanev and Edler both had offensive upside instead of both being prone to injury. Lol

Once one of these young guys proves they can be a legit top pairing D-man...only then could I see them MAYBE looking at moving Tanev. 

Although there is certainly lots to like, the only thing we can replace our top d with now is TIME.

IMO is were trading d in the next couple years it's prospects. Pedan. Brisebois. Subban.

If management had of blown this club up and just gone straight to a rebuild the arena would be completely empty. Right now you have a club that is working hard every night and could still make a run at playoffs. (Not likely but has potential)

Draft picks, unless they are very high firsts in good years take several years to make the NHL. That is why they were trying to fill the 22 to 26 range. Keep in mind that they have still not moved one first round pick.

We can all argue about how we have got to this point but going forward there is already "hope" in our system and some decent young talent on the ice.

As a management team they were able to produce a 101 , 75 and this year.....        This has allowed time to start a rebuild without just blowing it up and losing all the fans. There is a real concern that the fans would have just stopped going. No owner can afford that.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Spilt milk, what's done is done.  We're now into the second year of the rebuild under a new regime, and making progress.

Its not really spilt milk though. It is the #1 reason people are abandoning the team en masse.

Until the Sedins and Edler are gone this is their team as our executives and coach have continually said and proven. Until that time the team will not really move forward unfortunately. 

The key thing that needs to change for fans to be excited is for it to no longer be a team built around the Sedins and Edler.

Archived