The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

Having watched all 3 cup runs in my lifetime I can live with '82 as we were beaten by a much better team and I'm OK with '94 as it was close, fair and hard fought series. 

However, 2011 will always be difficult to accept as we clearly had the best team and the NHL stood by as we were bullied out of a cup. The Aaron Rome suspension was bigger than most realise, I still cannot believe Boychuck was able to break Raymond's back while the puck was on the other side of the ice but no suspension was given. That bias is still a head scratcher as far as I am concerned, we were the team that everyone hated.... including the NHL. 

the older i got, the less i let things bother me. i came to realize that hockey was just a game.  there were a lot more things to worry about then the results of hockey games. in 1958, i was in the navy. my brother was a sailor on the stettler. when the news came over the radio, that a sailor had fallen over board and drowned. there were 350 sailors on board but i fretted all day till the dead fellow was named. if a team gives it all they've got and loses, i'm not disheartened. i'm more disheartened by fans come out and claim the players weren't trying, because they lost.  unless a person is out on the ice, cracking heads like the other players, how can they say, the team didn't try. ?  losing players like maki, bourdon and ripien was painful but life happens. keenan was a sorry coach, and it is hard to say anything positive about him but i got over it quickly. i wish i got over real life issues as easy as i do about hockey disappointments ...

7 minutes ago, HarryCanuck said:

Having watched all 3 cup runs in my lifetime I can live with '82 as we were beaten by a much better team and I'm OK with '94 as it was close, fair and hard fought series. 

However, 2011 will always be difficult to accept as we clearly had the best team and the NHL stood by as we were bullied out of a cup. The Aaron Rome suspension was bigger than most realise, I still cannot believe Boychuck was able to break Raymond's back while the puck was on the other side of the ice but no suspension was given. That bias is still a head scratcher as far as I am concerned, we were the team that everyone hated.... including the NHL. 

The reality is Hammer being hurt, and our lack of depth on defence, and the fact the team could not score on the road. AV was far too conservative, and if we were going to get beaten, open things up to give the team a fighting chance to score. Manny with his eye injury was a massive blow. The way he was playing in the season he was probably one of the best two way centres in the game. A healthy Manny, and Hamhuis, and if Bourdon never had that accident, the team might have had enough to get over the top. 

1994 Hurt, because we were beaten by perhaps one of the best goalie's at that time, and one of the best d-men. But they put forth a valiant effort that just fell short. Linden playing with cracked ribs, and still scoring two goals in one of the most important games in team history, show's what a battler and a leader is all about. 

The loss of Bourdon, put the team back 5 years, sadly in hindsight if we had drafted Karlsson instead of Hodgson, that would have put us so much further ahead. We lost not only a great hockey player, but a great human being. 

11 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

As Canuck fans, we know all too well of these painful memories. Whether it be a tough playoff loss, a horrible season, the death of a former player, etc.

I'd be interested to hear what your most painful memory as Canuck fan is.

I am kind of going to cheat and name 2 painful memories I have had. 

1. Losing in game 7 (2011). I was not around for 82 or 94, so this was the first time I had felt such heartbreak and pain of getting so far and losing. I try to forget about that day, but I remember it so vividly. I remember waking up thinking that this was going to be one of the greatest days of my life. Instead, it was one of the worst.

2. The death of Rick Rypien. My grandmother grew up in the Crowsnest Past, knew the family, and actually babysat Rypien's mother when she was young. So when he became a Canuck, I had the chance to meet him a few times. He was very down to earth and if you didn't know him you wouldn't think he was a pro athlete. I was with my grandmother the day he passed and when she heard the headline, she dropped her book in shock and started to cry. I was upset, but not to the extent that she was. I think that was the toughest part. To know the family and then for it to be all over the news in the days following. It was crazy. I know he wasn't a Canuck when he passed, but once a Canuck (except for Messier, **** that guy) always a Canuck right? 

I know it is kind of a depressing point of discussion but hey, it could be worse, we could be Leaf fans.:bigblush:

Game #7 2011 worst memeory for me, 2nd the passing of Luc Bourdon

Toews SHORTHANDED goal in the last minute was the worst moment.

Ottos goal was second worst.

Losing game 7 in New York was third.

Losing game 7 here was a given.

Biggest negative ah ha moment was watching Boston being given Carte Blanche after the Rome hit.

Second biggest ah ha moment was the seven minute 2 man advantage awarded a California team when we stood up for ourselves.  Maybe this was the worst moment...because it's when I gave up taking the NHL game seriously (I think the players did too)

49 minutes ago, HarryCanuck said:

This, exactlly how I would have put it. Thanks

1 hour ago, HarryCanuck said:

I've said before here...I never really bought into NHL conspiracy theories until Raymonds injury went unpunished - and I think unpenalized. 

The PP we had back then, a 5 min major on that hit would have been a turning point towards winning the cup. 

It's obvious the NHL made sure nothing came out of Raymonds injury other than the Bruins winning. 

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The riots tarnished our cities reputation, and we still feel the stigma from it. 

Yet no one seems to care about the Richard Riot in Montreal in 1955. 

No one mentions the football riots in Europe, like in Rome in 2015.

That was a riot?

By far the WCE chokefest vs. the Wild.  My mom passed away the day before they played their eventual last game.  I really needed sports as an escape but by the time I realized  they weren't going to win came the sobering reality of my loss.   

Some painful memories...

The trading of Richard Brodeur.

The trading of Trevor Linden.

The trading of Kirk McLean.

Letting Cliff Ronning sign elsewhere when he would have played here for a very reasonable salary.

Losing Game 7 in 1994...heartbreak.

Losing Game 7 in 2011...it was just a pathetic game.

Losing Game 7 to Minnesota after Bertuzzi's chirping about golf in the summer when we were up.

The rash of premature deaths a few years back was pretty gutting.

Archived