The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Alex Burrows to Senators for Jonathan Dahlen

8 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Lol, a few of them thought that giving up a third was too much!

One guy thought Virtanen was coming back the other way for Lazar too!

Then they found out it was Dahlen they lost their minds and thought Virtanen had to be coming back the other way. Some of them were calling him a career AHLer though.

There should be Zero debate about acquiring this prospect. You see people talk about his size, skating, ect like it's this burden or something. The fact that we have something tangible in return for a player who many though would fetch a 3rd is astonishing. Skating is the least of my worries. It is by far the most correctable deficiency in a player. remember how painfully slow Gaunce was?! Even Horvat sucked at skating and now they fly. I am so pleased with this trade that I don't even care if we do nothing else. It's one of the most refreshing things to happen to this franchise in a while.    Benning can stay now. 

21 minutes ago, Pernell Karl said:

I'll forever miss Burr but man even while making an exit he helps us out. Excited to follow Dahlen's progress, looks like a promising forward

goitta agree with you there

burr was undrafted

forged out a very nice career

always gave his all

played on the edge

no disputing he maximized his talent at this level

sad to see him leave. would have liked him to be a career canuck

but good for him .  i hear he got a 2 year extension with ottawa.. he would not have gotten that here

so it is a win for him too.  2 more years added to his career and gets to wind things up closer to where he grew up

hope he gets more kudos here when he retires

and his parting gift to the team is a young replacement player rated with a higher skill level than burrows

but we all know skill only is as good as the person driving it

wish you all the best burr... thanks for the memories (particularly that goal against chicago)

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

goitta agree with you there

burr was undrafted

forged out a very nice career

always gave his all

played on the edge

no disputing he maximized his talent at this level

sad to see him leave. would have liked him to be a career canuck

but good for him .  i hear he got a 2 year extension with ottawa.. he would not have gotten that here

so it is a win for him too.  2 more years added to his career and gets to wind things up closer to where he grew up

hope he gets more kudos here when he retires

and his parting gift to the team is a young replacement player rated with a higher skill level than burrows

but we all know skill only is as good as the person driving it

wish you all the best burr... thanks for the memories (particularly that goal against chicago)

he's going to be remembered as a Canuck. no worries. 

ROH once he's done at Rogers Arena. That is almost a gauranteed. 

I really had to think about this for a while, I feel a legitimate loss.  Overall, I think it's the best thing for both Burr and us.  This way Burr will likely get another playoff run and hopefully gets revitalized with an extension.  We open a roster spot, and to whatever end, I'm happy to get a younger prospect a spot.  We also get a decent prospect.  Other than losing a huge piece of Canuck soul, it's win/win.  The hidden bonus is for me is now I can cheer for another Canadian team in these playoffs and actually really care.

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lots of players make the move to wing after they're drafted. Granlund was able to do it pretty well.

I imagine that's what will happen with Dahlen.

I thought about that after looking how things might shape up.

For a center he really seems to have a shoot-first mentality. Even in a lot of clips you see online, it seems he floats to spots you'd normally see a winger. 

I'd really like to see us get a kid who's a bit bigger to eat up a true center position though. Someone with mind towards making plays rather than finishing them. 

Should be an interesting day tomorrow. 

54 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Yes he does.

Could be a great draft year for us, and considering the Blue Jackets are playing well this season, perhaps they grant us the 2nd round pick we get for Tortarella this year, rather than next year.. I believe it's conditions come to term in the 2018 season. (I think that is one of the picks you're referring to?)

Yes, I can't recall if I heard it yesterday or today but someone (Jeff Paterson maybe?) was saying CBJ announced they would be giving us this year's pick. 

6 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

I thought about that after looking how things might shape up.

For a center he really seems to have a shoot-first mentality. Even in a lot of clips you see online, it seems he floats to spots you'd normally see a winger. 

I'd really like to see us get a kid who's a bit bigger to eat up a true center position though. Someone with mind towards making plays rather than finishing them. 

Should be an interesting day tomorrow. 

he can also play LW too so its a bonus. ^_^

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

he can also play LW too so its a bonus. ^_^

If that's true then it really is a bonus, because aside from defense, center is the hardest position to learn.

If he can play wing effectively that only expedites his development.

37 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

There should be Zero debate about acquiring this prospect. You see people talk about his size, skating, ect like it's this burden or something. The fact that we have something tangible in return for a player who many though would fetch a 3rd is astonishing. Skating is the least of my worries. It is by far the most correctable deficiency in a player. remember how painfully slow Gaunce was?! Even Horvat sucked at skating and now they fly. I am so pleased with this trade that I don't even care if we do nothing else. It's one of the most refreshing things to happen to this franchise in a while.    Benning can stay now. 

So you're going to give Benning a break and give him credit for the job he's done now? Hallefreakinglujah!

30 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Especially given who his father is.  Ulf was a very underrated, smart hockey player who went on to coach.  Growing up in that environment, I'm assuming work ethic won't be an issue.  It's a fixable issue and it will be fixed

Being able to speak with his dad while adjusting to the North American game is a luxury most Europeans don't have, and given that his hockey IQ is strong, I think he'll be able to fit adapt very quickly.  Looking forward to seeing him at camp.

Archived