The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

10 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Dahlen has been playing wing hasn't he? I think he projects to be more of a winger

Yes he has. We still need our future top 6 C not named Horvat.

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

Benning killed it. He traded 2 players that we could have lost to the expansion for nothing. In return he recieved 3 assets. Of the 3 I'd say at least 1 will have have a positive impact on the Canucks future.  This is a complete turnaround from last year when we lost hammer and vrbata for nothing. Everyone knew we needed to trade them last year and it didn't happen. It was kind of predictable. Everyone knew what should happen.  Except for JR lol.

You obviously still don't understand my point. I'm quite happy with both trades FWIW.

1 hour ago, Bigturk8 said:

Does anyone see a comparison with Hunter Shinkaruk? They're similar size, both left wingers, touted for high end scoring potential. Goldobin has had more success in the AHL, but otherwise, they seem like similar prospects to me.

Am I way off base on this?

They play a somewhat similar game, but Goldobin has way more skill than Shinkaruk does IMO.  He has a better shot, great vision, and is a very explosive skater.  Overall I'd say Goldobin legitimately has top line production potential.

The issue with both players are that they are a bit weak and can get a little lost defensively, but I think Goldobins offensive skill should be enough to allow him to carve out a good NHL career.  I'm not so certain about Shink at this point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Never change man

My entire point was that we were in no desperate need to sell Hansen for the peanuts half of CDC wanted to. There was no need or urgency to dump him for a late 2nd in a weak draft or equivalent.

Goldobin, a late first in a strong draft, is not peanuts. Yay. Plus we got a nice conditional 4th that could become another late 1st. Not peanuts again. Yay.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

My entire point was that we were in no desperate need to sell Hansen for the peanuts half of CDC wanted to. There was no need or urgency to dump him for a late 2nd in a weak draft or equivalent.

Goldobin, a late first in a strong draft, is not peanuts. Yay. Plus we got a nice conditional 4th that could become another late 1st. Not peanuts again. Yay.

Yay.

32 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

They play a somewhat similar game, but Goldobin has way more skill than Shinkaruk does IMO.  He has a better shot, great vision, and is a very explosive skater.  Overall I'd say Goldobin legitimately has top line production potential.

The issue with both players are that they are a bit weak and can get a little lost defensively, but I think Goldobins offensive skill should be enough to allow him to carve out a good NHL career.  I'm not so certain about Shink at this point.

Hunter is on h is way to being a career ahl/nhl tweener

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Challenge for Goldobin is going to have to try and stick out among the young forwards we have particularly since a lot of them are of the same skill set and same size.

Sven Baertschi, Nikolay Goldobin, Markus Granlund, Reid Boucher - all four of them under shade of 6 feet, and all have some variation of the same skill set.

Focus should be to get bigger players with skill to help create more space for these guys going forward, especially since the West continues to get bigger.  

Tryamkin, Guddy and maybe Pedan. The beef is in the back.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yes he has. We still need our future top 6 C not named Horvat.

This year's draft is littered with Centermen with top 6 potential. Pettersson, Vilardi, Lias Andersson, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Hishier, Patrick.

You don't have to worry

Edited by ReggieBush

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

This year's draft is littered with Centermen with top 6 potential. Pettersson, Vilardi, Lias Andersson, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Hishier, Patrick.

You don't have to worry

Yup :)

He's going to have some Hodgson moments where he absolutely shows off his skill, and also makes a few wrong decisions. The thing I'm most excited for is that he is probably the best passer we have in a prospect, especially off the rush. 

I don't know who I would want him to play with as his Centre though. Maybe Bo is best.