The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, he has high end NHL offensive skills when he has the puck. The problem is the rest of the time he's on the ice without it.

This is the same nonsense we see in the Subban thread.

"Derp, we need goals! Subban/Goldobin score goals! Derp."

Just because a player has obvious offensive talent does not make them NHL ready and contrary to seemingly many people's concerns, that doesn't equate to trying to turn them in to a 'defensive player' or 'coach the creativity out of their game'. 

It's horse excrement. The only thing they're trying to do is make them actual NHL players that can stay in the league.

But but... I wanna SEE them both.  NOW.  Therefore they fully deserve to play in the NHL.  Even the TMZ1040 experts say so.

:unsure:

I'm not saying he is on Mogilny's level just saying his skating and puck handling skills are similar but smarts and pure skill goes to Alex we never know maybe this kid can become a star for us if he could get rolling.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, dpn1 said:

The thing with Baertchi is that he isn't a liability defensively.

Wasn't that the whole reason why Calgary traded him in the first place? The defense part of his game can be worked on in the AHL. It's his elite playmaking ability and goal scoring that makes him such a promising player, similar to Baertschi when he got traded to Vancouver.

Edited by TheSnipeshow91

5 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I feel like people are underrating Goldobin. He has elite offensive ability and probably the best hand eye on our team, besides Boeser imo. He's still really young, his defensive game and puck pursuit will improve I'm sure.

I agree. He's one of our more underrated prospects I would say. I think he makes the team out of camp. No more AHL.

Goldy injected badly needed offense when we were in a dead zone last year goals wise(Boucher too).

I like that we were taking chances on a couple of scoring forwards. We were getting nothing out of our bottom 6

and DOES ANYONE REMEMBER OUR PP last year?

gawd somebody has to frigginscore. 

Anyone scores around here gets the pariah treatment? Give these young forwards a chance before we write them off.

Or is it more Megna please? Or two way Chaput, who's goal songs we'll never know.

10 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I'm not saying he is on Mogilny's level just saying his skating and puck handling skills are similar but smarts and pure skill goes to Alex we never know maybe this kid can become a star for us if he could get rolling.

Thanks for posting those mogilny highlights, just missing some from his days as a canuck! To think we once had bure and mogilny on our team....damn!!

Goldobin has all the skill it truly will be finding the right linemates for him.

If a few younger players start the year well it could make baertschi available at the deadline.

I could see goldy horvat boeser being a good line

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I feel like people are underrating Goldobin. He has elite offensive ability and probably the best hand eye on our team, besides Boeser imo. He's still really young, his defensive game and puck pursuit will improve I'm sure.

I think everyone is well aware of his elite offensive abilities. Not sure how that's underrating him?

His play away from the puck is the issue. 

14 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Mogilny was a good two way player, he was more like Datsyuk than Bure.  I like what Goldy brings to the table, but the age of one way offensive players is over.  If you don't play a solid two way gsme, you won't be in the league for long.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

The Canucks days must've been a dark time in Mogilny's career, not one highlight in that video from his time here!

Was hoping to see some of his highlights as a Canuck, definitely one of my favourites. Hopefully Goldobin can have at least half the career Mogilny did.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

The Canucks days must've been a dark time in Mogilny's career, not one highlight in that video from his time here!

Was hoping to see some of his highlights as a Canuck, definitely one of my favourites. Hopefully Goldobin can have at least half the career Mogilny did.

Me too maybe the creator of the Vid was not a fan I guess I should have found 1 with his 55 goal year he had with us.

9 hours ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

Wasn't that the whole reason why Calgary traded him in the first place? The defense part of his game can be worked on in the AHL. It's his elite playmaking ability and goal scoring that makes him such a promising player, similar to Baertschi when he got traded to Vancouver.

Yes, and that is why his time in the AHL was well spent.  Just like some specific time spent on working on NG's defensive game would be of benifit.  just like it was for SB.  I wonder if NG time in the A was spent targeting his defensive game instead of just reafirming his offensive skills.

6 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Yes, and that is why his time in the AHL was well spent.  Just like some specific time spent on working on NG's defensive game would be of benifit.  just like it was for SB.  I wonder if NG time in the A was spent targeting his defensive game instead of just reafirming his offensive skills.

His time in the AHL was definitely well spent and a big part of that, from what I've read, was getting His 200ft game to the point where its, at least, passable at the NHL level.

Thats why I don't get why people automatically go on the attack at the mere mention of Boeser starting the year in Utica developing his overall game.  For a young player, the AHL should be seen as a positive step toward a long NHL career, not a demotion.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

His time in the AHL was definitely well spent and a big part of that, from what I've read, was getting His 200ft game to the point where its, at least, passable at the NHL level.

Thats why I don't get why people automatically go on the attack at the mere mention of Boeser starting the year in Utica developing his overall game.  For a young player, the AHL should be seen as a positive step toward a long NHL career, not a demotion.

Hey we agree...jokes asids. I see nothing wrong with boeser potentially startig in utica. Doubt it happens but you never know.

Tons of competition at forward to make the team, should be a competitive and fun pre season to watch. Too bad it still seems so far away!

Well.... if Goldobin doesn't get a chance this year when he shows promise - this team is an utter joke.  The MO of the team has been to play grinders ahead of players who have talent, cause they need to learn how to play on the 4th line before they can earn a spot up the lineup.  Even when the player out-performs the existing plugs that have been signed (we have an overwhelming glut of middling talent - so many of these low-end players with one-way contracts that it is hard to see how it is actually going to work). - think Stetcher last year - if the injury to Tanev didn't happen we would never have seen him.  The only players who have made it were 2-way players.  So unless we ONLY want a team of 2-way players, this approach doesn't work!

The team has a backwards approach to competition imho.  When you hire someone - or sign them - you actually have to give them a chance.  And especially when they show talent - you don't put them in a menial task as a reward - or put them back to the minors.  Score a goal (Goldobin) and get benched - cause that is the "plan".

Supposedly this year it will be "different" with the same people in charge, so we will see...  I honestly hope it will be.  I just don't get the plan... sign a bunch of players who aren't that great (Chaput, Megna) but who will always be better at a 2-way game than a young player who is just starting out - and let the Chaputs and Megnas win the spots on the team because of it - year after year after year....

Question:  If Virtanen, Juolevi, Dahlen, and Goldobin all show they actually deserve to be in the league this year, can it actually happen?  The answer is no.  The team would never do it.  Contract status trumps development in this organization ... SO FAR!  I'd love to be proved wrong this year.  Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks...

peace.  sorry for the rant, am a bit negative - I think / hope it is temporary!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Well.... if Goldobin doesn't get a chance this year when he shows promise - this team is an utter joke.  The MO of the team has been to play grinders ahead of players who have talent, cause they need to learn how to play on the 4th line before they can earn a spot up the lineup.  Even when the player out-performs the existing plugs that have been signed (we have an overwhelming glut of middling talent - so many of these low-end players with one-way contracts that it is hard to see how it is actually going to work). - think Stetcher last year - if the injury to Tanev didn't happen we would never have seen him.  The only players who have made it were 2-way players.  So unless we ONLY want a team of 2-way players, this approach doesn't work!

The team has a backwards approach to competition imho.  When you hire someone - or sign them - you actually have to give them a chance.  And especially when they show talent - you don't put them in a menial task as a reward - or put them back to the minors.  Score a goal (Goldobin) and get benched - cause that is the "plan".

Supposedly this year it will be "different" with the same people in charge, so we will see...  I honestly hope it will be.  I just don't get the plan... sign a bunch of players who aren't that great (Chaput, Megna) but who will always be better at a 2-way game than a young player who is just starting out - and let the Chaputs and Megnas win the spots on the team because of it - year after year after year....

Question:  If Virtanen, Juolevi, Dahlen, and Goldobin all show they actually deserve to be in the league this year, can it actually happen?  The answer is no.  The team would never do it.  Contract status trumps development in this organization ... SO FAR!  I'd love to be proved wrong this year.  Maybe old dogs can learn new tricks...

On 7/20/2017 at 1:48 PM, J.R. said:

Never mind 'defensive game'. He has a lot of work to do on puck pursuit, his ability to battle/retrieve pucks and playing with pace. Nobody's trying to turn him in to anything but a better (AKA: NHL) hockey player.

41 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

It's got nothing to do with Vancouver, it's every team now.  If you can't play a solid two way game, you're not going to play in the NHL.