The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It is if your only talent is on offence.

And what happens in the SC when your offence has dried up? You are effectively useless and a drain on your line mates that's why there is virtually no place for a forward who can't work and defend responsibly in the modern game - even McDavid knows that and Goldobin is a long way from McDavid.

Edited by alfstonker

32 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Oh, useless in his open end... like the Sedins?  Henrik was -29 last year, Goldobin was +1.

+/- isn't a very practical explanation of an individual player's defensive game, as the point is dealt out to whomever was on the ice at the time of a goal.  A better stat would establish the individual player who made the error.

Regardless, as a young prospect who is still developing, Goldy needs to improve his defensive game as much as he can and that is why he is in the AHL.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

+/- isn't a very practical explanation of an individual player's defensive game, as the point is dealt out to whomever was on the ice at the time of a goal.  A better stat would establish the individual player who made the error.

Regardless, as a young prospect who is still developing, Goldy needs to improve his defensive game as much as he can and that is why he is in the AHL.

If the Sedins had collected the minuses due for each time they coughed up the puck in the offensive zone and gave up odd man advantages while they floated back to the bench, delivering the minus to the guys jumping on behind the play, they'd have been minus 50. So yeah the rules of +/- did treat them unjustly... unjustly in their favour.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If the Sedins had collected the minuses due for each time they coughed up the puck in the offensive zone and gave up odd man advantages while they floated back to the bench, delivering the minus to the guys jumping on behind the play, they'd have been minus 50. So yeah the rules of +/- did treat them unjustly... unjustly in their favour.

Remember when Torts had the Twins on the PK. It made me wonder what message he was trying to send and to who? 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Remember when Torts had the Twins on the PK. It made me wonder what message he was trying to send and to who? 

I guess he figured the sooner the Sedins got hurt, the sooner the season would end and he wouldn't have to put up with those long drives from Point Roberts...

On 10/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Oh, useless in his open end... like the Sedins?  Henrik was -29 last year, Goldobin was +1.

Sample size is a bit of a consideration. Over his career Sedin is far ahead of Goldobin in the +/- stat by about 180 or so to the positive.

regards, G.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Has anyone seen any reports on his start to the season? 

I thought I heard a statement somewhere saying he looked to be working harder in the dzone and that his two way play, at least early, shows improvement. 

If true, this is huge for him and the club.

I never had issue with how hard he worked last season - rather the issue imo was how 'smart' he was working.  At times, it was clear he was out of his element trying to figure out where to be on the defensive side of the puck.  Quite obviously, his offensive instincts/ability are there and are at the NHL level (or pretty much there anyway), he just needs some quality coaching at the AHL level to round out his game. 

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I never had issue with how hard he worked last season - rather the issue imo was how 'smart' he was working.  At times, it was clear he was out of his element trying to figure out where to be on the defensive side of the puck.  Quite obviously, his offensive instincts/ability are there and are at the NHL level (or pretty much there anyway), he just needs some quality coaching at the AHL level to round out his game. 

Either way, it's his dzone play that's been his crutch. 

Just heard somewhere he seems to be improving that aspect of his game.

1 hour ago, komodo0921 said:

Either way, it's his dzone play that's been his crutch. 

Just heard somewhere he seems to be improving that aspect of his game.

Puck pursuit in general and in all three zones (which certainly ties in to defensive play).

The last few pages had some good info if I recall. He's been playing some PK for Cull and seems to be working hard, rounding out his game.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Puck pursuit in general and in all three zones (which certainly ties in to defensive play).

The last few pages had some good info if I recall. He's been playing some PK for Cull and seems to be working hard, rounding out his game.

This is good news. 

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

This kid can be a big part of this team moving forward if he rounds out his whole game. If all these kids develop the way that we hope that they will, Gaudette, Goldobin, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind etc, we're going to have a very deep offense.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

This kid can be a big part of this team moving forward if he rounds out his whole game. If all these kids develop the way that we hope that they will, Gaudette, Goldobin, Pettersson, Dahlen, Lind etc, we're going to have a very deep offense.

We're going to have to make some trades :lol:

On 2017-10-24 at 0:24 PM, Gollumpus said:

Sample size is a bit of a consideration. Over his career Sedin is far ahead of Goldobin in the +/- stat by about 180 or so to the positive.

regards, G.

We are talking about the Sedins NOW, not four years ago.  Anyone with eyes can see what they are now, including the new coach, which is why they are barely on the ice at even strength.  But with Virtanen providing the skating and muscle on the line, they might not be too much of a liability.  Considering their past contributions, that would be a much more pleasing ending to their careers.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We are talking about the Sedins NOW, not four years ago.  Anyone with eyes can see what they are now, including the new coach, which is why they are barely on the ice at even strength.  But with Virtanen providing the skating and muscle on the line, they might not be too much of a liability.  Considering their past contributions, that would be a much more pleasing ending to their careers.

Not really the point I was making, but okay.

Goldobin was likely playing against lesser opposition than the Sedins, he was getting less ice time per game (if I recall), and (going back to my original point) he played in only a handful of games. If you believe your comparison can stand one of 82 games vs only 12 then fine.

Rodin played only 3 games with the Canucks last year, and he was a +1. I guess that makes him better than Goldobin? Horvat was a -7 last season, so hemust be a liability. And Granlund was a -19, so he really must suck, right?

regards,  G.