The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evaluating Willie Desjardins

buddyguy

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

This is so fun to read..,,,,

Willies mom against the world thinking she alone can justify his existence 

If you've got an argument to make go ahead and make it, but these childish act-outs you roll out when people take the other side are getting tiresome. Grow up or find a pre-teen board to go play in.

8 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

If you've got an argument to make go ahead and make it, but these childish act-outs you roll out when people take the other side are getting tiresome. Grow up or find a pre-teen board to go play in.

Wah 

are you the board police?

grow up yourself clown 

9 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Go read my posts, you will find all the arguments you need 

I don't think Willie is a good coach, his deployment of players are questionable, he's have two aweful seasons. Losing is one thing but at least make it fun to watch. This is the most ill prepared team I have seen from the thirty years I have been a fan, Straight up pitt Willie against AV, Crawford, Quinn...he leans more towards the Dallas Eakins side of the spectrum. THe Canucks need to bring in a new coach that knows how to win an inexperienced coach with a young team is like the bling leading the blind. (No offence to the blind) Part of what made Toronto successful is that they brought an experienced coach to lead a young team. This is what Vancouver needs. Willie would be a real good assistant coach in any other organization. Right now the problem with the Canucks is inexperienced front office, inexperienced head coach, inexperienced assistant coaches (Lidster and Cloutier) The only experienced guy in the staff is Jarvis. Coupled that with a group of young players? Got to get experienced somewhere and the Head Coaching job is the best place to start.

Last night I was actually excited to watch a Canucks game for the first time in awhile now to see how Goldy played. 

Like most people I'm sure, I was stoked when he scored that breakaway goal.

But then willie decides to bench him after that, that's got to be one of the most idiotic and Confusing calls I've ever seen done by a "coach" , needless to say I am beyond pissed with his treatment of the new exciting player while favouring plugs like megna and Chaput.

Please for the love of all that is holy fire willie he is the absolute worst coach in the entire NHL, I won't be tuning in to anymore games until he is gone, his style of coaching is so very boring to watch, if we are going to be losing games I'd still like to be entertained a little and that won't happen with this sorry excuse of a coach.

i truly hope he didn't ruin Goldys confidence by benching him after he scored a great goal and played a decent 6 minutes of hockey lol !!!! Anyone else notice how sad Goldy looked on the bench during the third and even after the win? He did not look like someone who scored the game winning goal

6 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Sometimes I wonder if this is less about WD and more about how Gen Y was raised; being given everything and the whole "participation trophies" thing.  Why should young guys be gifted playing time, power play time, offensive zone starts?  Why do you expect they should just be handed these?  Maybe they have to earn it?  Most of the people I've known who have been given everything turn out to be brats.  So many people expect our young guys to be given something without having to first earn it.  What about Bo Horvat?  He wasn't given anything and look how he's developing.  How about Yakupov and the majority of the Oilers lineup.  No vets around so they were given 1st line minutes, PP time.  How did that work out?

Not saying gift it to them but give them the opportunity when they show they can produce.

Isn't scoring a goal and producing points earning it? Its not a gen X or Y thing to question why someone who just scored is immediately benched.  Wouldn't you say they earned more than just playing 5 min a game? Why 's Megna getting gifted the spot despite not producing?

Yakupov was gifted his spot despite his production. Horvat is leading the team with the limited ice time he had. Shouldn't he get a crack at the PP1? Especially if the established vets are not producing the results.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know a lot of people don't agree with his benching of kids and line combinations (which I certainly don't), but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night. The systems might not be great, but he's getting some real work ethic out of these players. Other teams commentators have noticed this time and time again, and they know the Canucks are always fighting right to the end and in games - they rarely get blown out like most bad teams. Credit WD for that.

Now you add in some top-end skill like Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Boeser and hopefully a high 1st overall pick and you've got a pretty good recipe going. We just need that skill and it's coming.

The sedins looking like theyre falling asleep is 100%?

Edler mailing it in night after night is 100%?

The kids that have been giving 100% and showing resposibility and success are benched and scratched? 

This is not the recipe for a successful team, this is not the recipe for building up players confidence..

For example, Tryamkin is only playing because of injury.. If no one was injured come october WD would still be playing Larsen over NT... 

7 hours ago, khay said:

I'm not ripping on WD for failing our youth movement but just for fun:

Horvat: Doing great.

Baertschi: Doing great.

Hutton: Doing good.

Stecher: Doing pretty good.

Tryamkin: Doing great.

Gaunce: Doing average, maybe below average considering his 1st round status.

Virtanen: S*cks a$$ right now

McCann: Better than Virtanen but not as good as expected.

Vey: Where is this guy now?

Kenins: Disappeared.

Rodin: Injured

Granlund doesn't count, as he was already beyond sophomore season when he arrived.

Anyhow, I think the players that are doing great are doing great because the players have worked hard not because of WD. The players that aren't doing great are because, they are not great players or have not tried hard enough. Virtanen has the tools but hasn't been able to put it together so far; it's not because WD that he isn't good at the moment. Gaunce lacks speed and offensive instincts; again, not WD's fault. Vey had some skill and good vision and hockey IQ but was below average in skating and physicality... WD tried so hard for Vey and yet, Vey failed him. Kenins was just fluke. Rodin just unlucky.

Edit: I give credit to WD for developing Baertschi though. The others, I think they came into their own basically by themselves. 

It's a pity you are unable to properly analyse your own findings.

Nevertheless it's a good start.

Where you seem to have misjudged things is in assessing the nature of the coach and what he bases and hinges his teaching on. It's is HARD WORK of course - graft.

Horvat: Doing great. - hard worker, self improver, Willie's ideal - wins trust and is rewarded

Baertschi: Doing great.- at first had a laissez faire attitude - Willie demands compete, Sven sees the light and complies - now Willie's ideal, a grafter with skill - wins trust and rewarded

Hutton: Doing good. - Hard worker - sometimes tries too hard - Still Willie doesn't mind mistakes if players are learning from them and working their ass off - wins trust and rewarded

Stecher: Doing pretty good. Hard worker - Grafts his ass off - Willies ideal player - wins trust and rewarded.

Tryamkin: Doing great. - Made the mistake of turning up out of condition - Willie says "get fit first then you play" Tryamkin gets fit and turns out to be a grafter - Willie's ideal type - wins trust and is rewarded

Gaunce: Doing average, maybe below average considering his 1st round status. - Pretty raw but a hard worker and self improver - Not the type you put too much pressure on - brings him on gradually. Looks like a Willie type of player, wins trust and gradually rewarded - On Bo's time line but at a slower pace.

Virtanen: S*cks a$$ right now - Comes back from WJC a pariah  - Willie builds up his confidence, defends him publicly and gradually increases his ice time - He finishes the season in promising form BUT then ruins it by turning up expecting to play while out of condition. Publicly embarrasses Willie in order to excuse himself. Trust put on hold pending time in AHL where he has to decide if he wants pro hockey or not.

McCann: Better than Virtanen but not as good as expected. Seemed to be a hard worker but lack of experience against men and lack of size against him. If we had kept him I think he would be in the AHL now and getting a call. I also think WD would have had him playing to his potential if he had stayed.

Vey: Where is this guy now? Vey was a hard worker, a Willie type but personal problems in his background and lack of size probably led to JB replacing him. Despite what some fans on here felt, Vey was a skilled player who worked hard and helped players around him.

Kenins: Disappeared: Showed promise but seemed to ignore his roll on occasions which didn't please WD. He was injured and landed in AHL where it seems Green didn't want him.

Rodin: Injured Looks like a Willie type from what we saw in pre season. A hard grafter who works his ass off. Unfortunately picked up a recurrence of his leg injury but I have no doubt he will be back and develop well under Willie.

You left out Granlund as you explained but I would have kept him in. Imo WD has helped him change his game to a more physical style and being a hard worker he has responded.

So what I am saying is, there is no secret to WD's coaching - If a player works hard and shows he can be trusted in defence he will be rewarded. Every player who has shown these qualities INCLUDING AHL players have been rewarded. - And that's the mark of a good coach/teacher imo.

21 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Great comeback, pretty much what I expected from a poster of your intellect

It's people who blindly follow, like you, and accept the stays quo that has put us in this situation 

if if anyone questions what we are doing people like you get upset 

i will debate you on any point you feel you have, bring it on my friend 

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

THe play Goldie scored on was due to Goldie cheating, and guessing right about the puck coming out. So he sits for cheating, pretty simple.

Next game, if he doesn't cheat, he will get more ice time.

And he won't score.  I agree Goldy blew the dzone, but that's how to drive back the d off our blue line.  We should be sending our speedy (off side from the puck) wingers.  It would create more space.  It's no surprise we stated getting trapped in our end end right after Willie sat Goldy.  

we use to be a goalie grave yard, now we are a coaches grave yard. crow, AV, torts and WD.  this fan base seems to have to have someone to bash.  i doubt some fans would be happy with any coach brought in.  a coach has to make his decisions based on what the fans want. why can't coaches understand that? let us make up the line up every game.  only we know the right combination for power plays. 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

It's people who blindly follow, like you, and accept the stays quo that has put us in this situation 

if if anyone questions what we are doing people like you get upset 

i will debate you on any point you feel you have, bring it on my friend 

Reading comprehension is your friend, friend. I haven't come down on either side of the argument so I'm hardly status quo or upset about anybody questioning anything. For the record, I don't think we are better, or worse off for WD being the coach through this transition. He's merely the placeholder until the rebuild is complete and we are ready to compete again. What's laughable to me is how you and the rest of the fanboys blow a gasket when a B grade rookie prospect gets his ass stapled to the bench for not playing the right way. You think lord Babcock would handle it any differently? Think again.

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Reading comprehension is your friend, friend. I haven't come down on either side of the argument so I'm hardly status quo or upset about anybody questioning anything. For the record, I don't think we are better, or worse off for WD being the coach through this transition. He's merely the placeholder until the rebuild is complete and we are ready to compete again. What's laughable to me is how you and the rest of the fanboys blow a gasket when a B grade rookie prospect gets his ass stapled to the bench for not playing the right way. You think lord Babcock would handle it any differently? Think again.

Button says he is an A prospect. Ill take his grade over urs man. 

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

Overall I like the job Willie Desjardins has done. The team plays hard for him, they play with discipline, and they have all bought in (with the odd exception Kassian for example).

On the whole, young players have progressed under Willie. Bo, Bear, Granlund, Tryamkin, Stretcher, Gaunce, and Hutton for example. Virtanen and Mccann were too young to be in the NHL last year. Kassian was too troubled, Kenins too unremarkable.

Coaches are always under fire when a team is losing more than they are winning. Doesn't make them bad coaches. Remember when a lot of people including the owner Francisco, wanted Vigneault's head during a certain 10 game losing streak? There were constant criticism on these boards about Vigneault's coaching in the 7 years he was here. More criticism than praise, that's for sure. A couple of successful seasons preceding a 7th game Stanley Cup appearance, then a largely successful stint with the Rangers, and now, hockey people (Ferraro) consider him one of the top 5 coaches in the NHL. Maybe he wasn't that bad of a coach all along?

The Canucks are transitioning into Benning's/Linden's team. This will be the second finish in a row out of the playoffs for this management after a brief playoff appearance in their first season. This team's transition is going to take a little longer than some others because of a lack of core players in the tweener age bracket (approximately 20-27) when they took over. I blame the poor drafting of the previous decade and a half. This team has struggled and will continue to struggle in the near future because of this. The blame for this poor showing should not be put squarely on this management or coach.

I give Willie a grade of 7 and Linden/Benning an 8.

Unfortunatley this isn't about a 10 game losing streak, this is about 3 years of horrible player deployment and his inability to adjust to what's happening on the ice. He stubbornly refuses to try anything different and gets out coached almost every single game...

7 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'd like everybody who rips on WD for failing our youth movement to name all of our prospects/rookies/sophomores that he has coached, and explain how they're progressing thus far. I don't expect many answers.

I used to defend Willie but I think his time has come to an end.  I wouldn't say he's failing the youth movement but I also wouldn't say he's worthy of any credit either.  Horvat looks like a special player that can develop regardless of who is coaching.  Virtanen and McCann didn't develop but who knows who was calling the lineup last year.  Fact is they were on the roster and even when this team was out they still weren't being utilized effectively. So if your going to tout Willie for Horvat's progression than you must fault him for Virtanen's regression.

It's not all about the youth on this team too, look at some of the vets that are struggling.  Look how often the Sedins get trotted out with Larsen, how often Megma gets used, how Eriksson is an anchor to any line he gets thrown on. 

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know a lot of people don't agree with his benching of kids and line combinations (which I certainly don't), but one thing he's done really well is getting the guys to play 100% every night. The systems might not be great, but he's getting some real work ethic out of these players. Other teams commentators have noticed this time and time again, and they know the Canucks are always fighting right to the end and in games - they rarely get blown out like most bad teams. Credit WD for that.

Now you add in some top-end skill like Dahlen, Goldobin, Juolevi, Boeser and hopefully a high 1st overall pick and you've got a pretty good recipe going. We just need that skill and it's coming.

I am just going to throw this out:  Could this be attributed to coaching or the veteran leadership provided by the Sedins and Burrows(while he was here).  Because I believe it has more to do with the latter.

And are we forgetting how everyone was fuming about Willie's deployment in the playoffs?  That team should've beat Calgary but got tremendously outcoached and it's been downhill ever sense.  So what if he keeps us close in losses, that meaningless 3 game win streak in Cali last year cost us huge in the lottery. 

I cannot fault him for being defensive and giving the illusion that he is coaching the offensive life out of this team, that's a problem through out the league and it's been like that for awhile unfortunately, it's an over coached league.  I do believe his time has come to an end and now this team needs a more up tempo system.

Archived