The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaunce should be Protected

gameburn2

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see the comparable there

Messier had a big say in personnel decisions leading to the team being destroyed and Linden himself being moved out.  The Sedins wouldn't use that power  to the detriment of the team like Messier did but here's not much good that could come out of it.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Messier had a big say in personnel decisions leading to the team being destroyed and Linden himself being moved out.  The Sedins wouldn't use that power  to the detriment of the team like Messier did but here's not much good that could come out of it.

There is no comparable between Messier and the twins.

I doubt they influence decisions, but i guarantee they keep Hank in the loop.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not trying to say there are, more that there's probably resistance in the organization against giving players input on personnel.  Obviously they're completely different people and would never abuse the privilege.  I could maybe see them being asked about guys they've played with internationally to find out more about intangibles.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They could go to one of the twins and ask him to waive his NMC.  LV is not taking one twin at that salary, without his brother, with a year left and clearly not able to keep up anymore.  No chance.

Very smart... I don't think we're that smart here. 

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

Times have changed so much since then.  Remember Keenan having a say over personnel, trades... and only being a coach. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'd love to protect him.  That being said, who do you think we should expose to make room given we have to protect Eriksson and the twins?

There's the rub: rules about who has to be protected.  The Sedins have only 1 year left, I think.  Clearly they are in the last phase of their career.  We would only lose one player to Vegas, so it is tempting to let things slide... risk Gaunce and some other players... players who are part of our future, in order to nut ruffle feathers or ask favours of senior players.  Still... it pains me to think we have to protect the likes of Edler when Gaunce or other comparable players could be grabbed.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

They could go to one of the twins and ask him to waive his NMC.  LV is not taking one twin at that salary, without his brother, with a year left and clearly not able to keep up anymore.  No chance.

This is the best idea I've ever heard of. Even if they had any interest at all in picking up an exposed twin they'd have to trade for the other one :lol:

Hes a "baller" dude. Sux we probably loose him. There isn't really a move to be made to protect him unless we blow out Bae Sbisa + for a blockbuster. I don't see it. We prob roll the dice. The major moves have been made. Guance might be the casualty.  

43 minutes ago, gameburn2 said:

There's the rub: rules about who has to be protected.  The Sedins have only 1 year left, I think.  Clearly they are in the last phase of their career.  We would only lose one player to Vegas, so it is tempting to let things slide... risk Gaunce and some other players... players who are part of our future, in order to nut ruffle feathers or ask favours of senior players.  Still... it pains me to think we have to protect the likes of Edler when Gaunce or other comparable players could be grabbed.

We don't have to protect Edler as he only has a NTC. It will be management's call which 3 D will be protected.....none have a NMC.

16 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

We don't have to protect Edler as he only has a NTC. It will be management's call which 3 D will be protected.....none have a NMC.

If this is correct then I am 100% in the 'please take Edler' camp. I honestly think he has been terrible and would much rather see Guddy, Sbisa, Stetcher, Hutton, Tanev, Tryamkin as top 6 next year 

As always, many underestimate Gaunce who is playing in his first full NHL season and only recently started to get to play more than 5 minutes per night. This guy will be a workhorse in the future and is at an age where many prospects are either still in college or on the farm. 

I don't know who would be exposed instead of Gaunce but my fingers are crossed that we can keep him.

I hope Vegas doesn't take em but sadly we're going to have to expose him. When Gaunce got drafted they compared him to Jordan Staal which clearly he is not but he has lots of potential to be a solid 3rd line checking forward. Plus he has great work ethic has a big body and is not afraid to use it.

Love Gaunce and should be protected but we have better players who Vegas would take ala Sbisa. He hasn't produced much to warrant interest from them. I love the work ethic he shows and he's a guy who we can depend on in the future for a clutch goal in the playoffs when we finally have our young team assembled. 

I love Gaunce.  Realky.  Look back at his prospect thread.   Always saw him as the 3rd line center in his prime this team needed from 2008 to 2012

But

It's one of 2 ways.

We trade Sbisa and his cap hit for picks/prospect and lose Gaunce.  Net gain.

Or

Lose Sbisa for nothing at all over Gaunce 

Because I don't see LV not taking a decent young 3-6 defenceman over a prospect with dismal 1st year numbers.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would protect Gaunce over Sutter.

Prefer  his age and his contract going forward.  Canucks should be building for 2020. 

So you figure to win in 2020 it helps to have the worst possible team now? 

Gaunce will most likely never hit Sutter'a point production in his NHL career.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What if one of the twins got claimed, & turned into a controversially outspoken, drunken, tattooed, illicit substance dabbling, brawling philanderer? That leadership study might lose funding...

Just have to do a follow-up study on how the expansion draft turned one of the "servant leader" Sedins into an evil twin version.

Then again, aren't evil twins usually the ones with goatees?

IMG_0539.JPG.36de42835763536050c3cf7760a3a33f.JPG

Does that mean the Sedins are both evil twins?

IMG_0540.JPG.eaba0a72ae5aaa18d8167664fc9f4a4b.JPG

And in that case, when did they turn evil and what caused it?

Archived