The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on Team 1040 March 9

AlwaysACanuckFan

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Miller should be looked at as a short term gap filler. Still a great goalie, but should be utilized in a support capacity going forward, with that idea made very clear to whomever is coaching the team next season.

A lot of people are dumping on Markstrom, but if a younger goalie isn't being given a run of games to build confidence, rhythm, and chemistry with teammates (especially defensemen) who are they supposed to develop consistency.

For better or worse, the crease needs to be handed to Markstrom, with Miller as a backup.

Well... those people are wrong. Look at some of the D pairings in front of him this year, and the Wilbrod treatment and actually he's doing OK given the circumstances. Lots of goalies need regular work to find their rhythm, Miller is no different. If Marky had got more starts I bet Millers numbers would be down too.  

57 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's unfortunate that so much time is spent in these interviews answering fluff like "Goldy's ice-time" and "are you rebuilding" and "will you fire Willie".  Takes away from the opportunity to ask real and meaningful questions and potentially get some real insights into the team, the players, and franchise intentions and direction.

Well they did lose their contract.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well... those people are wrong. Look at some of the D pairings in front of him this year, and the Wilbrod treatment and actually he's doing OK given the circumstances. Lots of goalies need regular work to find their rhythm, Miller is no different. If Marky had got more starts I bet Millers numbers would be down too.  

Agreed. I'm a fan of Markstrom. He has proven to be able to play lights out when needed. I hope it's established that it's his crease going forward, and any goalies (Miller/Bachman) are on the team in a support role.

41 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

How about who he likes in the upcoming entry draft? Or what he is looking to add in the offseason? Maybe talk about prospects who are having good seasons that we as fans might not talk/know about. Players on the active roster or minors that have made strides, and excite him for the future.

Kyle Petit
Rodrigo Abols
Brett Mckenzie
Dmitry Zhukenov

All later round guys in the CHL averaging close to or over PPG

6 minutes ago, Nooks said:

Kyle Petit
Rodrigo Abols
Brett Mckenzie
Dmitry Zhukenov

I know that. I follow all our prospects, but does the average fan? Those are the questions that should be asked is what I am saying

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's unfortunate that so much time is spent in these interviews answering fluff like "Goldy's ice-time" and "are you rebuilding" and "will you fire Willie".  Takes away from the opportunity to ask real and meaningful questions and potentially get some real insights into the team, the players, and franchise intentions and direction.

The level of desperation that exists in trying to get JB to say "we're rebuilding" is akin to a lawyer thinking the only way that they get prove the guilt of the accused is by getting them to admit it on the stand.

The goal will always be to make the playoffs. This is different from "our singular goal is to make the playoffs". Teams can have multiple goals, including making the playoffs and acquiring and bringing in young players.

i think one thing about questions and answers is....fans and media twist whatever he says to fit their opinions and give them fodder to speculate on things that benning isn't planning.  this has been happening as long as i have been following hockey. can you imagine the stories that would come out of, him saying, that virtanen isn't progressing as quickly as we had hoped? or, we have promised green the head coaching job if it comes up. they would take on a life of their own. but fans want answers on everything. they seem to think, they deserve to know. benning would be dumb if he says, who they plan to draft, this year.  there are some people who will read that last sentence and claim, smithers joe say benning is dumb. the truth is, that i don't know enough about building and running a team to know if this management team is good or bad.

30 minutes ago, Nooks said:

Kyle Petit
Rodrigo Abols
Brett Mckenzie
Dmitry Zhukenov

Fwiw Kyle Pettit is no longer Canucks property - they didn't sign him to an ELC and players drafted out of the CHL need to be signed within 2 years.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Question GMJB? Why would you want to do that? James Bennington the First of His Name, Supreme Overlord, Draft God, Winner of Trades is the epitome of greatness. I am sure HW thinks that being a "true" Canucks fan is all about worshiping even the floor that he walks on.

YOure right a true Canucks fan questions everything and can't be made happy by any move.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Just on the flip side, these are the hot button topics on the minds of fans. From an interviewer standpoint, with only so much time, you need to satisfy that fan demand. And if you don't ask them, your competitors will and you'll soon be out of job. That's kinda how that hamster wheel works.

Also, fluff takes less brain power and is easily digestible. Meaningful requires effort, thought, and interpretation. That's why we see so much fluff. 

The rebuilding thing is stupid at this point but the future of WD and Goldy's ice time are legit, timely questions. 

I'm with you, though, on the more meaningful questions and deeper insight. I'd rather hear substance and deeper insight any day of the week.

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

The level of desperation that exists in trying to get JB to say "we're rebuilding" is akin to a lawyer thinking the only way that they get prove the guilt of the accused is by getting them to admit it on the stand.

The goal will always be to make the playoffs. This is different from "our singular goal is to make the playoffs". Teams can have multiple goals, including making the playoffs and acquiring and bringing in young players.

I wonder, what would be the purpose now even if he did say the "magic word"?  I suppose they would then claim lawful ground to chastise him for not trading the (NMC) Sedins and (NTC) Edler.  "It's a rebuild, you idiot, get rebuilding!  Just like the LEAFSzzz done so good.  Fire Benning!"

38 minutes ago, Nooks said:

Kyle Petit
Rodrigo Abols
Brett Mckenzie
Dmitry Zhukenov

Did you ever hear coverage on these guys? I can't recall 1040 even mentioning their names. One of the reasons I joined CDC was to get more info on prospects because these so-called hockey experts were too busy talking about movies or some other totally irrelevant thing. 

Archived