The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Excuses after excuses.  It's that how you apply for a job. You hand in your resume followed by a long list of excuses?

Avalanche, Wings, and Islanders have all got new coaches in that time frame.  It's time the canucks do the same..

I don't use excuses I use logic and comparative analysis, something you have failed miserably in.

The change of coach means nothing if they are still struggling and the previous coaches, as I said, had more to work with, so maybe unlike WD they deserved to be released.

I'm self employed by the way so I wouldn't last long if I used excuses or had the deficiency in strength of character shown by many of the whiners on here.

Kirk Muller

This guy has learned from the best and has amazing ways of actually running a power-play. This guy wants so badly to become a head coach but won't get the nod in Montreal for his lack of parlez vous. With Julien being hired, it's obvious that Muller won't be getting the job even if he does learn French

Ya, he had an unsuccessful run in Carolina but like the Canucks, that team was suffering from aging vets.

He and Jarvis have also worked together so there is that. Not sure who he would select to run his defense but in the past he has worked with Dave Lewis, John McLean,  Guy Carbenneau, and recently with a decent defense coach in Brad Shaw who has done a masterful job with the St. Louis defense over the past 5 years. He has also worked with Rollie Melanson who also happens to be a part of our current staff.

Muller is a younger coach but knows his stuff and should be worth a look.

On 2017-03-11 at 1:36 PM, hearditall said:

Crow also had Quennville next to him....

Remember when Crow benched (the greatest scorer ever) Gretzky in the shootout....:wacko:

Gretzky: I prayed to shoot for Canada in ’98

Nearly the entire country wanted Wayne Gretzky to be one of Canada’s five shooters. The Great One was just praying to be the sixth.

Watching from the bench as Team Canada coach Marc Crawford passed him over in favour of other players, including defenceman Ray Bourque, to participate in the infamous 1998 Olympic hockey semifinal shootout

Crawford leaves Gretzky on the bench in Nagano

cropped_REUA_535826.jpg?ts=1416943335  

With all eyes on Japan as National Hockey League players represented their respective countries at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Canada's head coach left a nation scratching its collective head by leaving The Great One stapled to the bench in a do-or-die situation.

Facing the prospect of selecting five players to participate in a semifinal shootout against Dominik Hasek and the Czech Republic, Marc Crawford chose not to roll with Wayne Gretzky, selecting, most notably, defenseman Ray Bourque instead.

Gretzky may not have made good on the opportunity, but Crawford will always be second guessed for not giving him the shot.

Maybe Crawford was worried about his 200 foot game?

maybe he did not know the "system"

maybe he was concerned with his fitness?

maybe Gretz did "not have his stuff" 

On 2017-03-10 at 9:20 PM, monkey2 said:

I think that we should keep Willie. His purpose is to develop young players in a competitive and accountable environment. He has gotten good results in those realms. Plus he signed a 4 years contract. This rebuilding process will take time. By the end of WD's contract, the first real wave of Benning picks will be pushing for roster spots. If JB trusts WD's capacity to develop players, I could see him being with the team even beyond that.

Like all the players he developed at Medicine Hat? Probably the worst record of production of NHL players ever. 

Name 10 good NHL players he developed in Medicine Hat? Even 5 

I don't think there is much reason to change coach's until the Sedins retire. Every coach that comes in is going to over play them and ignore the younger guys till they retire. I've enjoyed having them on the Canucks but I can't wait till there gone so the new era can truly start. 

Please don't get me wrong I am not a Sedin hater at all I just think there time is up and when they are gone we can get a new coach and the new era can start. So I say save some money and stick with Willie till the end of his contract then get a new coach just my two cents.

a big no to crawford coming back

he has some responsibility for the bertuzzi incident

(we will never know the details but he was involved in that court proceeding)

that incident is a stain on this teams legacy and brand

for that reason alone he is not a good fit for this team

and why would the team rehire a coach it previously fired ?

smacks of desperation to me

21 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Like all the players he developed at Medicine Hat? Probably the worst record of production of NHL players ever. 

Name 10 good NHL players that Babcock developed in junior... even 5...

27 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Maybe Crawford was worried about his 200 foot game?

maybe he did not know the "system"

maybe he was concerned with his fitness?

maybe Gretz did "not have his stuff" 

the ice was bad, tons and tons of wet snow, crow said he picked the 5 guys that had the hardest shot, wanted shooter over danglers vs hasek on the sticky ice.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I wouldn't say he did poorly in medicine hat. He won the WHL championship in 2004 where he had Clarke Macarthur and Cam Barker lol. He won the WHL championship in 2007 where he had Kris Russel, Derek Dorsett, Darren Helm, and Tyler Ennis playing for him. They all have over 200 nhl games. Well, everyone except Barker.

Now he has Bo Horvat, Sven Baertschi, and Marcus Granlund all playing well for him. He broke Tryamkin, Hutton, and Stecher into the league well and they now look promising. I imagine he will keep making Boucher and Goldovin work for it. And i bet next year each one gets over 10 goals.

I get that people want to win the cup now and that they also want McDavid and Mathews. But slow and steady wins the race. Willie is allowing us to play conpetitively, break young players in, all while simultaneously tanking for a high pick. It is win win win in my books. We will get a high pick this year. And probably next too. After that you might even see Travis Green take over and the team begin to push for playoff spots. But thats just my opinion.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

a big no to crawford coming back

he has some responsibility for the bertuzzi incident

(we will never know the details but he was involved in that court proceeding)

that incident is a stain on this teams legacy and brand

for that reason alone he is not a good fit for this team

and why would the team rehire a coach it previously fired ?

smacks of desperation to me

Why cares about the Bert incident? 

Get over it 

Travis Green is like running the risk of a setback like in Edmonton a few years ago with Dallas Eakins, thus extending the process.

Green as an Associate Coach with a proven NHL'er at the helm is my choice. We'll have to see who will be released at season's end.

3 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

the ice was bad, tons and tons of wet snow, crow said he picked the 5 guys that had the hardest shot, wanted shooter over danglers vs hasek on the sticky ice.

Gretzky still shoots, his presence on the ice makes up for the conditions. The greatest in the history of the game in the first Olympic Hockey allowing NHL'ers to participate was only the simplest decision to be made, Crow failed.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:00 PM, billabong said:

Crow? People seriously. Let's go with someone new. not go with a coach who hasn't any success in the last 10 years.

its green for me. 

If only willy didn't have his pets (Megna, Bart, vet) and didn't make some head scratching decisions with his player deployment and not just living and dying with the youth then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's a good coach, look at this line up. he's squeezed every drop out of it, that at one point had us in a playoff spot 

Green is new. Let's not forget that Willy had some impressive credentials from the AHL.

crow at least has experience with the market and running an NHL bench and schedule.

also showed good influence with a young player like Matthews. 

Many coaches have shown well with their second chances. Therrien and vineault are good examples of that. 

I'd rather go with a non rookie even though green does seem like a good coach

8 hours ago, 6string said:

Gretzky still shoots, his presence on the ice makes up for the conditions. The greatest in the history of the game in the first Olympic Hockey allowing NHL'ers to participate was only the simplest decision to be made, Crow failed.

Except "The Great One" had a terrible career record when it came to penalty shots.

6 hours ago, goblix said:

Green is new. Let's not forget that Willy had some impressive credentials from the AHL.

crow at least has experience with the market and running an NHL bench and schedule.

also showed good influence with a young player like Matthews. 

Many coaches have shown well with their second chances. Therrien and vineault are good examples of that. 

I'd rather go with a non rookie even though green does seem like a good coach

If we're counting,  he was fired by both the Stars and Kings before he took the gig in the Swiss league. 

I wouldn't be against Crow coming back, if only because hacks like Botch would have one less reason to go after the new coach. 

Archived