The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the Summer of 2017 Coaching canditates

nickels

26 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Gallant would be my vote.  He has worked well with young kids in Florida.

Hope it's not another rookie coach who is going to take 3 years of learning on the job like WD did. 

Agree whole heartedly. Gallant has not only done well integrating young players into the lineup, he led the Panthers to the playoffs last year. I would offer Travis Green an assistant coaching job, but not the head coaching job. I really believe you need someone with successful NHL coaching experience, and I don't buy the idea that a young team and a young coach can grow together. Gallant, or Crawford for that matter, provide credibility, experience and inspire confidence, which are what is needed much more than the promise or the potential for being good.

14 hours ago, combover said:

Someone willing to let young players make mistakes and learn from it.

Someone willing to play young players in ALL Situations.

someone willing to teach and give young guys confidence and defined rolls. 

Someone that will preach sound defence while playing an upbeat style using speed and skill 

someone that will let physical players play physically / push back

Someone that will see who's part of the actual future and focus on giving them the best opportunity to succeed.

Not sure another roookie coach is the answer. Rather see  a guy with a history  that is proven and effective with youth. 

So in other words, with the lack of talent on this team, somebody who will coach this team to a last place finish. GTK

I don't know if Gallant is the right coach for this team or not. I did not watch Florida play when he was there. But based on what has been said about him being a good teacher and giving young guys chances and the fact that when he was let go that young guys and Vets were both mad about the move. Seem like we could have a perfect mix type team for him. 

15 hours ago, billabong said:

Crow? People seriously. Let's go with someone new. not go with a coach who hasn't any success in the last 10 years.

its green for me. 

If only willy didn't have his pets (Megna, Bart, vet) and didn't make some head scratching decisions with his player deployment and not just living and dying with the youth then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

He's a good coach, look at this line up. he's squeezed every drop out of it, that at one point had us in a playoff spot 

I think WD has scared a lot of people from wanting to do this.

I don't see Willie going anywhere but to our dressing room next season.

He's done OK with the hand he was dealt,  and has brought along the younger players despite the clamour here for more ice time for them. And he will only have more next season to work with.  By all accounts, that is his strength.

Too, next year is the last of the Twins contract,  and who better to handle their ice time than a veteran coach who has worked with them these last 3 years. 

And maybe the clincher - do the "A"s want to pick up the cost of yet another coach... they need the team to make the playoffs to generate some revenue for them, and WD provides as good a chance as any to achieve that 

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Are you serious?

Willie is hardly relying on veterans, which team are you watching?

Oh and why not check the records of some of these hilarious names before posting.

This thread is a testament to the absolute fantasy world some of you live in.

Once he finally realized his job maybe in jeopardy, he isn't as much now, but that doesn't exclude his decisions prior to the trade deadline.... You post like he hasn't been playing the Vets all season, which team have you been watching?

Most coaches have a limited shelf life in general as their motivational impact falls on deaf ears unless your winning cups over and over.

hopefully green would not have already spent his on our prospects already... 

the embarrassing irony is the is the coaches we fired are all having success... all of them... 

i would go with experience and past success as the best indicators. Doesn't rule out green but he is still a rookie in the NHL coaching world. You want someone who understands the NHL and the tactics used by NHL coaches when your teaching young players. You can't have a coach making mistakes and expecting his players to take his words to heart. 

If you want a rookie coach instead of NHL retreads look to poach an asst. coach from a winning team in my opinion.

20 hours ago, stawns said:

Don't like him, but I think he's here for another year.  FA has been paying too many coaches to not coach in the last 5 years.

they need to sell tickets...   maybe a new coach can net them more $ in overall revenues.

special teams is all coaching.  we don't ever score on the PP.   More goals = more tickets sold.  

and even just for optics, you don't bench a player after he scores an awesome goal - even if you don't let that effect his overall deployment game to game... you let him run with it (you know who I'm talking about here) for at least one game.  WD has made his own country-club and hierarchy - and it doesn't fit anymore.  First year it did.  Not now.

I'm for Crow.  He seemed to get Mathews prepared and is still able to learn.  He has won a cup.  

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Are you serious?

Willie is hardly relying on veterans, which team are you watching?

Oh and why not check the records of some of these hilarious names before posting.

This thread is a testament to the absolute fantasy world some of you live in.

Really?

Edler given 20+ minutes a night, when he hasn't been all that great all season or how about relying on the Sedins late in a tied game, when they haven't been producing any offense. Don't forget the whole Higgins debacle last year as well.

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

they need to sell tickets...   maybe a new coach can net them more $ in overall revenues.

special teams is all coaching.  we don't ever score on the PP.   More goals = more tickets sold.  

and even just for optics, you don't bench a player after he scores an awesome goal - even if you don't let that effect his overall deployment game to game... you let him run with it (you know who I'm talking about here) for at least one game.  WD has made his own country-club and hierarchy - and it doesn't fit anymore.  First year it did.  Not now.

I'm for Crow.  He seemed to get Mathews prepared and is still able to learn.  He has won a cup.  

Crow was a terrible coach when he didn't have Roy bailing out his awful systems. 

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Crow was a terrible coach when he didn't have Roy bailing out his awful systems. 

Great coach for the LA Kings (at least from a Canucks POV)....If not for him thinking Dan Cloutier was his long-lost son, we would've been stuck with $3+ million contract after just acquiring Luongo and his $6 million dollar contract.  Got two draft picks out of the deal as well!

Archived