The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can People Please Stand Up and Be Counted to Offset the Loud Anti WD Campaign on Here (DISCUSSION)

coastal.view

I wouldn't call myself a WD supporter, but I occupy the middle ground like some of the previous posters have said. Thinking about it further, maybe that does make me a WD supporter? We lead the league in man games lost and even with a healthy lineup, Willie doesn't have much to work with. 

I do question his deployment at times and wonder what next year will look like given Willie's loyalty to the Sedins. 

Personally, I want the Sedins to play on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit next year. I also wouldn't be opposed to seeing something like this:

Baer-Bo-Daniel

Granlund-Henrik-?

But I don't know if Willie is capable of change at this point and IMO that's what it's going to come down to. Is he willing to change? Because he can't come back with the Sedins on 1st line and 1st PP unit next year. It's a death sentence. 

I think management is uncommitted at this point. They likely want to see how the rest of the year plays out and then sit down with WD and see what his views are moving forward. They likely also want to see what other coaches are available.

So I could see it going either way right now. However, if he does go, I wouldn't mind giving TG a shot. Not sure how owwnership would feel about that though. They may want someone with experience having just gone with a rookie coach. In that case, I would like to see Crawford return. He was always a likable guy and has coached some good offensive teams in the past.

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

So I could see it going either way right now. However, if he does go, I wouldn't mind giving TG a shot. Not sure owwnership would feel about that though. They may want someone with experience having just gone with a rookie coach. In that case, I would like to see Crawford return. He was always a likable guy and has coached some good offensive teams in the past.

I'd take Crow back in a heartbeat.  Coaches an entertaining style that would be a good fit for our younger players and you know he has his players' backs. 

Thanks op for starting a redundent thread.   Not good enough for you to post your thoughts on the existing WD threads? You had to draw special attention to your opinion opinions?  

Same comments, opinions and positions being expressed by the same posters as the other threads.

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

but is not the majority viewpoint

turn this into poll (or start a new one) and find out just how many people want Willie to stay or go, you'll have a definitive answer for management then on what CDC thinks, which I would suggest are the most engaged folks in Canucks nation. 

but my guess is you wouldn't like the response 

the bigger problem on this team now is not the coach, or his assistants. 

Once they have a legit roster that can contend, and if they are underperforming, than coaching change can help.

this roster is barely competitive when healthy, and awful to watch when decimated with injuries, mumps. flu, or food poisoning.

Willie is going to get fired, because that's what happens when you are a bottom feeder for 2 straight years.

But Willie is a good coach, he's not without faults but he has this terrible team playing hard every night.  Isn't that what people want?  Teach the kids hard work?   Because no matter who you bring in here, you're not getting a winning environment.  This team is going to stink next year again. 

I notice a lot of fans that are screaming that Willie is a terrible coach, are the same ones that think this team already has the prospects to be a Stanley Cup contender in 2 years.  The delusion on CDC is amazing. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Willie is going to get fired, because that's what happens when you are a bottom feeder for 2 straight years.

But Willie is a good coach, he's not without faults but he has this terrible team playing hard every night.  Isn't that what people want?  Teach the kids hard work?   Because no matter who you bring in here, you're not getting a winning environment.  This team is going to stink next year again. 

I notice a lot of fans that are screaming that Willie is a terrible coach, are the same ones that think this team already has the prospects to be a Stanley Cup contender in 2 years.  The delusion on CDC is amazing. 

Really? A "good" coach?

Kids developing under his watch? Yes

Tactician and deployment mastery? No

Winning? No

You can live with 2/3 and be called "good", not 1/3. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Really? A "good" coach?

Kids developing under his watch? Yes

Tactician and deployment mastery? No

Winning? No

You can live with 2/3 and be called "good", not 1/3. 

Kids developing yes, for where this team is at... this is the only thing that matters for the future.

Tactician and winning... you could bring in Scotty Bowman, George S. Patton and Napoleon Bonaparte and they wouldn't make this a winning team thanks to their tactics.

C6sV45aVAAIC2V-.thumb.jpg.584f8bce23e9b9d47a12440c7f4d4afe.jpg

These guys couldn't out tactic anyone in Vancouver either, they seem to be doing just fine on other teams.  I'm sure Willie will find a job over the summer and do just fine elsewhere too. 

18 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

This post is spot on. WD may very well be fired this off season or early next season... all from results with a sub standard roster. But that is just the nature of the business. No one thought much of Babcock when he took the Ducks to the final because it was because of the great goaltending only.... Burke only offered him a one year deal and Detroit snapped him up and the rest is history. 

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Kids developing yes, for where this team is at... this is the only thing that matters for the future.

Tactician and winning... you could bring in Scotty Bowman, George S. Patton and Napoleon Bonaparte and they wouldn't make this a winning team thanks to their tactics.

C6sV45aVAAIC2V-.thumb.jpg.584f8bce23e9b9d47a12440c7f4d4afe.jpg

These guys couldn't out tactic anyone in Vancouver either, they seem to be doing just fine on other teams.  I'm sure Willie will find a job over the summer and do just fine elsewhere too. 

Chuck Norris, that bad ass could coach the Canucks to the playoffs with an AHL team.

I dont mind Willie, right now. I'm a "draftist" though and he's not hurting that cause at all.

Does the guy have a lot to work with in terms of the roster? No, not really. But in my opinion he's not maximizing what he could get out of the roster he does have. We all know about his bizarre lineup combos, his overuse of the Sedins when anyone can clearly see that they're finished, his unusual love of plugs and giving them every futile opportunity to succeed, and his seeming dislike of talented non-veteran players.

I think Willie is stubborn as a mule. He has an inability to adapt quickly if at all, he's over-cautious in his approach, I think he stifles creativity, and despite somehow getting the team to battle hard much of the time I dont think he's all that bright. That being said, I hope he sticks around until the end of the season and maybe beyond depending on where and who we draft this year.

Well said OP. This thing has become so annoying it's been threatening to push me off the forum for the past little while. There is no basis for most of it and it reads really ugly and stupid almost every time. I wouldn't discuss it for five seconds irl -- it has no merit. Unfortunately Willie will probably be relieved of his job in the end in an effort to try to shift blame away from where it belongs and to create the appearance of change. Of course the team will be as bad or worse next year than it it was this year irrespective of who the head coach happens to be.

Yeah I'm with you on the fact that I don't see how any coach could get our group to be a better team - the only thing I would try would be to split up the Sedins but not sure if any coach would actually do that - aside from that I don't see how there could be any improvement with a different coach 

Archived