The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Yakupov?

14 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Let's get Patrick Stefan and Alexandre Daigle while were at it too.

To be fair....

Patrik Stefan's career arc was about the same as the Sedins. Their first 400 games were kinda identical.  

If he wasn't stuck in the Atlanta and wasn't injured, he could have been a PPG player.  Just his career path and his infamous missing the open net has placed him in the "greatest bust" list.

Daigle had the skills... thus he was still able to put up some points in the NHL.  Just he himself admitted that he didn't like playing hockey, it just happened to be something he was good at.  

If he actually loved to play hockey and cared enough to want to make it into the NHL... who knows what he could have done.  

Yak is a lot like Virtanen in that they both have most of the tools to be NHL stars but lack one or two critical elements; for Yak its the work ethic for JV its work ethic and IQ. And I dont think the Canucks need another player like that where you hope they can put it all together. 

14 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Yak is a lot like Virtanen in that they both have most of the tools to be NHL stars but lack one or two critical elements; for Yak its the work ethic for JV its work ethic and IQ. And I dont think the Canucks need another player like that where you hope they can put it all together. 

I don't remember ever hearing Yak had work ethic issues, or being out of shape.  I think for him it's his hockey IQ is low.  

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

To be fair....

Patrik Stefan's career arc was about the same as the Sedins. Their first 400 games were kinda identical.  

If he wasn't stuck in the Atlanta and wasn't injured, he could have been a PPG player.  Just his career path and his infamous missing the open net has placed him in the "greatest bust" list.

Daigle had the skills... thus he was still able to put up some points in the NHL.  Just he himself admitted that he didn't like playing hockey, it just happened to be something he was good at.  

If he actually loved to play hockey and cared enough to want to make it into the NHL... who knows what he could have done.  

Stefan was never going to be a "good" 1st overall pick, but yeah he definitely showed some early promise.  I am surprised he flamed out as quickly as he did because he was never really a bad NHL player, he just wasn't good.

Daigle definitely had the skills.  He could have been a star, and him not becoming one is purely due to his lack of interest.

Yakupov kind of seems like a mixture of both of them.  I'm not sure why he regressed so much, but he has.  He also doesn't seem to be enjoying the game like he did in junior (but that is probably a result of his struggles).  

The main point was that not all 1st overall picks pan out, and sometimes that potential they once showed just is not there anymore.  At a certain point they are what they are... busts.

Another issue with yak may be that the rumour has it Hitchcock wants to come to vancouver and if he does he already doesn't trust yak in a top 6 role ie. St Louis , so if that happens good chance he doesn't get a fair shake would be a waste of a roster spot.  

7 hours ago, Jav_11 said:

Another issue with yak may be that the rumour has it Hitchcock wants to come to vancouver and if he does he already doesn't trust yak in a top 6 role ie. St Louis , so if that happens good chance he doesn't get a fair shake would be a waste of a roster spot.  

Hitch's coaching style just screams up tempo hockey right? 

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't remember ever hearing Yak had work ethic issues, or being out of shape.  I think for him it's his hockey IQ is low.  

I just realized, Alf kind of looks like a Yak. Remove the antlers, a bit of hair moose and bingo, you have Alf.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_cmvwda4qbQ-_Yy-WGog

14 hours ago, Jav_11 said:

Hitchcock was planning to retire at the end of this year.  I doubt he really wishes to sign up with the Canucks for just a couple of months.  

On 3/22/2017 at 11:06 AM, Lancaster said:

To be fair....

If... if... just... just...could have...

To be factual... BUSTS.

38 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If... if... just... just...could have...

To be factual... BUSTS.

Some players are busts due to their inability to make it to the next level.  Other players can become busts due to external circumstances not being favourable. 

On 3/21/2017 at 4:57 PM, ajhockey said:

Does it save us cap space as well? For some reason, I forget how that works. I know it saves the team from having to pay him the NHL amount. Based on what I'm seeing on CapFriendly, it doesn't lower the cap hit.

In that case, it would mean little to me. I'd only then want him on a very low contract, less than $2M for sure.

Sending someone to the minors would only save us just under $1M on cap hit. Any cap hit above that would still count against us, although a 2-way deal would typically have an AHL amount way less than the $1M mark. Doesn't matter if he wouldn't clear mind you, but the cap stuff can be relevant.

Just now, elvis15 said:

Sending someone to the minors would only save us just under $1M on cap hit. Any cap hit above that would still count against us, although a 2-way deal would typically have an AHL amount way less than the $1M mark. Doesn't matter if he wouldn't clear mind you, but the cap stuff can be relevant.

Does the cap hit to the team change if a player on a two-way deal gets sent down?

9 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Does the cap hit to the team change if a player on a two-way deal gets sent down?

For example, say a player has a $1.5M NHL salary, and a $300K AHL salary on his two-way deal (make it a one year deal so the cap hit is the same). If he gets sent down to the AHL then his cap hit of the AHL portion is below the ~$1M mark (it was $900K when they signed the CBA and has gone up about $25K each year just like the cap and minimum salary increase) so it doesn't count as anything against the NHL team. The $1.5M is only in effect when he's in the NHL.

If a similar player on a one-way deal ($1.5M salary and cap hit as a one year deal) was sent down, then the NHL team would have $500K still counting against their cap with the $1M buried in the minors despite the player not being on the roster. His cap hit is the same regardless of what league he's in, but the team gets that $1M grace amount.

16 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

For example, say a player has a $1.5M NHL salary, and a $300K AHL salary on his two-way deal (make it a one year deal so the cap hit is the same). If he gets sent down to the AHL then his cap hit of the AHL portion is below the ~$1M mark (it was $900K when they signed the CBA and has gone up about $25K each year just like the cap and minimum salary increase) so it doesn't count as anything against the NHL team. The $1.5M is only in effect when he's in the NHL.

If a similar player on a one-way deal ($1.5M salary and cap hit as a one year deal) was sent down, then the NHL team would have $500K still counting against their cap with the $1M buried in the minors despite the player not being on the roster. His cap hit is the same regardless of what league he's in, but the team gets that $1M grace amount.

Interesting. I didn't know about that set ~$1M mark. Good to know. 

There's a few recent examples of it, with Ben Scrivens being buried in the minors (the Oilers had a few players that year buried for parts of their cap hit), Bryan Bickell and even Dubnyk spent time in the minors with the Preds. Wade Redden was kind of the originator that started the need for the rule, so teams couldn't just bury big contracts in the minors.

There's a little more on it here if you're interested: http://www.colliganhockey.com/nhl-cba-how-do-buried-contracts-work/

On 3/21/2017 at 8:33 PM, King Heffy said:

If you're just giving a late pick, why not?  We do need to ice a full roster.  Would you rather watch Megna stink up the joint for another season?

like the signing today we have already got an NHL team and having an extra D means a trade to get a better then Yak player!!

Archived