The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh and with regards to him playing in Utica (should they make the playoffs) - he's ineligible. 

He would have had to play in Utica before coming up. But they signed him and brought him right into the big club so hes here to stay. 

ALL ACCESS: Go behind closed doors for @BBoeser16's 1st day with the #Canucks, a memorable & emotional experience, presented by @ToyotaBC. https://t.co/fhXJWNlNvW

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/boesers-first-day-all-access/t-277443450/c-50857703

Even if you think WD is a crap coach, the guy is a really good guy, and gestures like this earns the trust of the players.

He stepped in and hasn't really looked out of place. Like you said, factor in a good off season and he could put up some hefty points next year. This guy is a true power forward.

On a side note, if some other prospects make the team next year and all lines start clicking early, we could easily be in playoff contention IMO.

15 hours ago, mll said:

I did see the feature on Horvat and his skating.

I know that most of them (Parise, Okposo, Bjugstad, Wheeler, etc) work with Diane Ness - she has her own power skating company and also advises the Wild.  There was an article up in the Star Tribune about how she's helped so many NHLer on their skating in the off-season.  Parise was explaining that she is always keeping up to date on new techniques.  I wouldn't know for sure if Boeser works with her too but I would think that the Canucks can arrange that.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Boeser is slow. All I'm saying is Bo's results are rather amazing, and it wouldn't hurt other young guys coming up to try the same training.

7 hours ago, Jaimito said:

ALL ACCESS: Go behind closed doors for @BBoeser16's 1st day with the #Canucks, a memorable & emotional experience, presented by @ToyotaBC. https://t.co/fhXJWNlNvW

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/boesers-first-day-all-access/t-277443450/c-50857703

Even if you think WD is a crap coach, the guy is a really good guy, and gestures like this earns the trust of the players.

There was also a video of WD introducing some crazy asian fans to Burr LOL 

17 hours ago, cbdoubleu said:

I like that he goes to the net and plants himself there - No fly-by's. Guys coming out of good college programs are usually more ready for the systems/positional side of the game than guys coming right out of junior. He's also 20 and a bit more filled out than an 18 year old would be. His former teammates Stech, Cagg and Schmaltz have all had decent starts to their careers with lots of upside, and he was considered the best of the group.

I'd really like to see us go after a 2nd line centre and move Sutter with the Sedins to provide solid 3rd line minutes. It gives them good options on faceoffs. I know RNH's name is out there, but I can't see us winning that bidding war against someone outside of the division. Granlund can play centre, so for now:

Boeser-Horvat-Baertchi

Goldobin-Granlund-Eriksson

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Virtanen-About 12 possibilities-Dorsett

Let's not forget one of the most important things about Brock - he is driven, that alone will endear him to the coach. A look back at his life shows just how driven and just how strong his character is - I like that in a player.

15 hours ago, William_Clarkson said:

Based off two games, yeah. But I remember a couple years ago Nicklas Jensen had like 5 really solid games where he looked "NHL ready." You can't really determine anything at this point.

Yes but Nick got a bad concussion and totally changed the type of player he was.

15 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Considering his schedule and all the surrounding drama of Thale past three days, I am impressed he can move at all. 

Kid shows positional awareness and moves to the open areas like a pro.  His defensive awareness is already better than most of ourr rookies.  He will improve but I can't see him getting much out of the A and feel he will do better staying with the big for next year.  

He is 20 and has been playing against adults...Far different than junior players.

:)

14 hours ago, EmilyM said:

I sure hope Bo hangs out with Brock during the summer and teaches him how he went from "Looks NHL-ready, but needs to work on his skating." to where he is now.

I sure hope Bo hangs out with Brock during the summer and teaches him how he went from "Looks NHL-ready, but needs to work on his skating." to WTF!!!!

Fixed that for you :lol:

site-logo-2.pngNorth Dakota

Player Profile:
Brock Boeser 2339740
Position: Forward
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 200
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Burnsville, Minn.
Club: Waterloo-USHL
Major: Undeclared

Career: Tied for 10th in UND history with a career plus-52 rating ... Owned UND’s best career points-per-game (1.27) since Zach Parise (1.53 from 2002-04) ... Had 10 points (2 goals, 8 assists) in five career NCAA Tournament games.

2016-17 (Sophomore): Assistant captain ... Named to second straight NCHC Academic All-Conference Team ... Won his second straight Virg Foss 3-Star Award for collecting the team's most 3-star selections during home games ... Tied for fifth in the NCHC in goals per game (0.50) and ranks seven in points per game (1.06) ... Missed a total of eight games due to injury ... Ranks fourth in the NCHC in faceoff efficiency at 55.9 percent (minimum 200 attempts) ... Won 23 of 30 (76.7 percent) of his draws in two games last week at the NCHC Frozen Faceoff ... Endured a career-worst six-game point drought from Jan. 14-Feb. 3 but has amassed 11 points (4g, 7a) in nine games since ... Had multi-point outings in four of his last eight games ... Had a power-play goal and an assist in the NCHC Frozen Faceoff championship game vs. Minnesota Duluth (March 18) ... Scored the game-winner on the power play in Game 1 of the NCHC Quaterfinals against St. Cloud State (March 10) ... Added another go-ahead goal the following night in an eventual 6-5 overtime win ... Was fourth in the NCHC scoring race before a wrist injury and subsequent surgery caused him to miss six games before the new year … Had seven goals and 16 points in 13 games prior to being sidelined … Was also slated to once again represent the United States at the IIHF World Junior Championship until undergoing surgery … Returned to UND’s lineup Jan. 6-7 at No. 18 Omaha and racked up three goals and two assists in a road sweep … Scored two goals in his first period back and had at least one goal in each of his first three games back … Two-time NCHC Offensive Player of the Week... Led NCHC in points (12) and points per game (1.71) during the month of October and tied for the league lead with six goals to earn NCHC Player of the Month honors ... Reached the scoresheet in each of the first five games of the season ... Named NCHC Offensive Player of the Week after opening the season with a 6-point series against Canisius (Oct. 7-8) and again after a 5-goal series against No. 18 Bemidji State (Oct. 21-22) ... Scored all three goals in 3-2 win over BSU (Oct. 21) to rally UND from a 2-0 deficit ... Was UND’s first natural hat trick since Ryan Duncan in the 2008 NCAA regionals ... Game-winner came on a third-period penalty shot ... Also became first player since Dave Kartio in 1968 to score every UND goal in a game in which UND scored three or more goals ... Kartio had four goals in a 4-3 win over Denver on Nov. 15, 1968 ... Was named game’s No. 1 star in four of UND’s first seven games and five times overall this season.

2015-16 (Freshman): Earned AHCA All-America West First Team accolades … Joined Ed Belfour (1986-87) and Kevin Maxwell (1978-79) as the only UND freshmen to earn All-America honors … Named to College Hockey News’ All-CHN First Team and CHN All-Rookie Team ... Also named to U.S. College Hockey Online’s All-USCHO Second Team … NCHC Rookie of the Year ... Also received the NCHC Three Stars Award for the most three-star selections during conference games ... Named to All-NCHC First Team and All-NCHC Rookie Team ... Named to NCHC Academic All-Conference Team … Four-time NCHC Rookie of the Week and one-time NCHC Offensive Player of the Week ... NCHC co-Rookie of the Month for January ... Became first freshman to win UND’s Virg Foss 3-Star Award ... Named UND’s Male Freshman of the Year (all sports) … Named both NCHC and Hockey Commissioner’s Association (HCA) Player and Rookie of the Month for March/April after collecting 23 points (5 goals, 18 assists) in his last 10 games … Led the NCHC and ranked fifth nationally in points per game (1.53) ... Won both the NCHC’s overall (60 points) and conference (35) scoring races … Finished third in the national scoring race (all games) … Scored an NCHC freshman-record 27 goals … Just the sixth UND freshman to score 25-plus goals and the first since Zach Parise scored 26 in 2002-03 ... Also joined Parise as the only UND freshmen in the last 35 years to register a 50-point season ... His 27 goals and 60 points were both the fifth-best rookie totals in UND history ... His 33 assists were the sixth-best freshman total in school history ... Set a UND freshmen record with a plus-45 rating that ranked second nationally … Led the NCHC in points (35) and goals (20) during conference games, setting a conference record in both categories ... Also became the first freshman to lead the league in either category ... Earned NCAA Frozen Four All-Tournament Team honors after collecting one goal and five assists with a plus-7 rating in two games … Had the game-winning goal and three assists with a plus-4 rating in the national championship game, a 5-1 win over top-ranked Quinnipiac (April 9) … Collected two assists with a plus-3 two nights earlier in a 4-2 win over Denver in the national semifinal (April 7) … Set up Nick Schmaltz’s game-winning goal with 57 seconds left in regulation in that game … Had a 10-game point streak snapped in the NCAA Midwest Region championship game against No. 5 Michigan (March 26) ... Had racked up 7-14--21 during that streak ... One night earlier collected a goal and two assists in UND’s 6-2 win over No. 9 Northeastern in the regional semifinal (March 25) ... Assisted on all three of UND’s goals during the NCHC Frozen Faceoff ... Enjoyed a 13-game point streak (Nov. 13 to Jan. 22) and 7-game goal streak (Nov. 29 to Jan. 16), both of which were the second-longest by a freshman in school history ... Was a plus or even in 40 of 42 games ... Hit the scoresheet in a team-leading 32 games, including a team-leading 19 multi-point games ... Earned a bronze medal for the U.S. at the 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship. 

Before UND: Drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the first round (23rd overall) of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft … Spent the 2014-15 season with the United States Hockey League’s (USHL) Waterloo Blackhawks … Earned USHL All-Star First Team and USHL All-Rookie Team honors … Tied for the league lead with 35 goals in 57 games and finished third in the USHL scoring race with 68 points …  Scored 15 power-play goals, second-most in the USHL behind only current UND teammate Chris Wilkie (17) … Tied for fourth in the league with six game-winning goals … Invited to the 2015 U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp Roster by USA Hockey … Captained USA to a bronze medal at the 2014-15 Ivan Hlinka Tournament and led the team with six goals in five games … Tied for the team scoring lead with seven points in five games and led USA to a silver medal at the 2013-14 Ivan Hlinka Tournament … Helped lead the U.S. to a gold medal at the 2013-14 Five Nations Tournament ... A 2015 graduate of Waterloo High School ... Named Minneapolis Star Tribune Metro Player of the Year as a junior at Burnsville (Minn.) High School. 

Personal: Undecided on a major ... Son of Duke and Laurie Boeser ... Cousin, Dan Boeser, played collegiately at the University of Wisconsin from 2000-01 to 2003-04.

Brock Videos:
Brock Photos:

FOLLOW UND SPORTS

Learfield

Internet TV Powered by Neulion

UND Athletics
2751 2nd Ave North Stop 9013
Hyslop Sports Center
Grand Forks, ND 58202 

COPYRIGHT © 2017, UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Boeser is slow. All I'm saying is Bo's results are rather amazing, and it wouldn't hurt other young guys coming up to try the same training.

Yeah Bo is almost like an outlier in that regard, lot's of players take power skating lessons but Bo seemed to take it to a different level. I can't remember a player with some skating issues out of junior become an absolute beast in this short of a time frame..just friggin driven.

He  wasn't great the 2nd game, I don't know how may people noticed but n a few occasions he gave up on watching the play develop assuming it was going to go the way he though, only to discover the game turned on a dime behind his back which left him scrambling,

Still that doesn't mean he isn't NHL ready

The answer? I don't know yet

58 minutes ago, ice orca said:

Yeah Bo is almost like an outlier in that regard, lot's of players take power skating lessons but Bo seemed to take it to a different level. I can't remember a player with some skating issues out of junior become an absolute beast in this short of a time frame..just friggin driven.

I know!! WTF was with the Bo can't skate rep?

He skates just fine from where I've been sitting, did he really change that much?

Gillis really deserves credit for that, with him making that deal we would have nothing

Archived