The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2017-03-28 at 10:27 AM, Dr. Crossbar said:

As it stands right now, he looks ready. It's very much like Hutton who came in and looked like he's already been in the league. We also saw this in Stetcher as well. 

There's a certain organic quality about Boeser that's noticeably more ready and confident. You can actually see it on the ice. It's a more complete package of character, maturity, talent, and confidence. 

These guys are coming out of the NCAA older, more mature, and more ready than our other prospects. They're not only responsible for their game and future hockey careers but also equally responsible and accountable for their academic education while in college. You can actually see that translating to their presence on the ice.

What I see in Boeser, Stetcher, and Hutton is that they're operating from a different development foundation than our other prospects. There's a higher level of character, maturity, and standards that are allowing them to begin at a higher level.

Right now, at this early stage, Boeser hasn't looked out of place one bit. I can certainly second guess that but I'm trusting what I see until (or if) something tells me otherwise.

If he becomes a defensive liability, sure, we'll see that and there will be reason for sending him to Utica. If he's slow, sure, he'll need more development time. So far, he's kept up with both Horvat and Baertschi, and has an awareness in the slot that I haven't seen from anyone on the team the entire season.

And something tells me we won't have to worry about maturity/character issues with Boeser, or coming into preseason out of shape.

Bo's entry into the NHL was under different circumstances and dynamics at 18/19. But he had high character, leadership, standards, and commitment that complimented his talent and allowed him to handle the higher caliber play at a younger age. This is where character plays a huge role and exactly why Benning has been so focused on guys with higher character. It's an intangible quality that sets guys apart in their development.

We allowed Bo to develop at the NHL level because he could handle it from character and talent standpoints. His character would eventually turn his deficiencies into strengths because of his commitment, accountability, leadership, etc. Those qualities set the standard for other young guys in the lineup. 

Then a guy like Hutton comes along and meets those standards and fits nicely into the lineup. Then Stetcher gets his opportunity and has the same level of standards, talent, character, and fits seamlessly into the young lineup.

And when you think of Virtanen in this mix, you can easily see why he's not ready and needs to be in Utica. He doesn't have the same maturity, accountability, standards, and focus on his two-way game to be a pro. 

There's a huge difference between being NHL ready from a skill and talent perspective, and being ready to be a pro NHL player. Ultimately, on some level, this is a key factor that makes a huge difference.

Aside from what I see on the ice only with Boeser, I also see this guy is ready to be a pro in the NHL. Right now, I'm not second guessing that until I have a reason to think otherwise.

Great post, but you could have summed it up by saying: despite being 20 years old, Brock is the most offensively gifted player on this team. He was the second he stepped on the ice. 

It's a little scary because he's an A prospect, not a generational talent. But our team is so anemic that a college star can come in, look around, and recognize that nobody can touch him on this roster.

I would bet Brock doesn't play a single AHL game in his career.

For better or for worse.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, TOOMUCHINTERNET said:

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this idea yet, but I would like the coach to try this line when possible.

Eriksson - Horvat - Boesser

Looks like a good SECOND line.

50 minutes ago, nergish said:

Great post, but you could have summed it up by saying: despite being 20 years old, Brock is the most offensively gifted player on this team. He was the second he stepped on the ice. 

It's a little scary because he's an A prospect, not a generational talent. But our team is so anemic that a college star can come in, look around, and recognize that nobody can touch him on this roster.

I would bet Brock doesn't play a single AHL game in his career.

For better or for worse.

Thanks. Likewise, great post. Yeah, I know I could have made it more concise but I didn't. I'm long with posts for a reason. In today's world context is increasingly lost in 140 characters. I'd rather spell it out in one post rather than a series of posts. I spend enough time in Facebook and Twitter being concise. This platform allows me to breathe things out. 

That being said, I totally agree. I just can't see him in the AHL at this point. You're bang on with the A prospect versus generational talent. I like how you framed that. Had he been the latter, he would have been here already. 

It's kind of similar to when we saw Corrado as our most promising young D prospect and then Hutton came in and looked like he had already been in the league. The differences in "ready" were noticeable. 

I'm glad we're finally seeing this. :)

11 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I dont think sending him down to season in the AHL for a year or two would be a bad thing.

The only way I see Boeser being sent to the AHL next year is if he pulls a Virtanen, enjoys a summer off, and comes to camp overweight. Given his maturity and character, I don't see that happening.

Just a competitive scorer who will find ways to get it done. The Brock day of reckoning has arrived. Badly needed offensive talent by team will allow him to stick an stay An make it pay .I cannot see him In the AHL his offense is needed here now.His maturity An smarts will help a lot . 

Sometimes im worried that pure goalscorers shouldnt be rushed to big leagues because they would be liability to the team if they didnt do what theyre supposed to which is scoring goals. But just lately Laine and now Boeser(small sample size though) have proved that real goalscorers found ways to do this in every level even if there were some question marks in both guys skating. But since the talent and nose for the net is there... I wouldnt put ceiling for Boesers career.

11 minutes ago, DallasDrake said:

Sometimes im worried that pure goalscorers shouldnt be rushed to big leagues because they would be liability to the team if they didnt do what theyre supposed to which is scoring goals. But just lately Laine and now Boeser(small sample size though) have proved that real goalscorers found ways to do this in every level even if there were some question marks in both guys skating. But since the talent and nose for the net is there... I wouldnt put ceiling for Boesers career.

I wouldn't put Boeser in the same category as Laine. Laine is going to be the next Ovechkin. Toronto could have taken him 1st overall and no one would have batted an eye. Boeser has 2 goals so far but it's not like he blew the goalie away on either goal. The 1st goal was a wide open net on a rebound, although I will give him credit for going to the net. The 2nd was a nice move to get some open space but he just slid the puck along the ice and happened to find an opening. I know it sounds like I'm ragging on him and I don't mean to be like that. 2 goals in your 1st 3 NHL games is amazing. But when you look at the kind of goals that Laine scores, there's really no comparison. Laine is a generational talent. Boeser is a very good prospect. 2 totally different things.

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wouldn't put Boeser in the same category as Laine. Laine is going to be the next Ovechkin. Toronto could have taken him 1st overall and no one would have batted an eye. Boeser has 2 goals so far but it's not like he blew the goalie away on either goal. The 1st goal was a wide open net on a rebound, although I will give him credit for going to the net. The 2nd was a nice move to get some open space but he just slid the puck along the ice and happened to find an opening. I know it sounds like I'm ragging on him and I don't mean to be like that. 2 goals in your 1st 3 NHL games is amazing. But when you look at the kind of goals that Laine scores, there's really no comparison. Laine is a generational talent. Boeser is a very good prospect. 2 totally different things.

Yes youre right. I just meant they are similar in a way that they are both mainly goal scorers. No way im comparing them otherwise.

On 30/03/2017 at 11:23 AM, AlamoCanuck said:

Can he play in NHL; Yes

Could he use some seasoning:probably

Camp in Sept when we should care to evaluate as now doesn't matter:Definitely

This!!! Honestly, I think Brock will stick for good, but I am so excited for camp next season.  Brock, Goldy, Dahlen, 2017 high 1st round pick, Juolevi, Subban, Virtanen. Unless one or multiples of them get traded, they will all be at camp, fighting tooth and nail for maybe 2 or 3 spots on the roster.

On 2017-03-26 at 10:16 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yeah, it's real early, after two games...

Yeah, the kid has probably been running on a huge hit of adrenaline for the last two games...

Yeah, he was playing at home in Minnesota in front of the family...

Conversely...  He is still dealing with the wrist injury...

Conversely...  He has gotta be exhausted after playing 3 hi tempo games in a row...

But you gotta admit... He looks good.  REAL GOOD... as a certain coach might say...  B) 

Add on to that a summer re-habbing and a fitness routine under the care and attention of the pro's of the Canucks staff... and I gotta believe his scating will improve, he'll put on pounds, and that nose for the net and the passing finesse he has clearly shown may send him out of the gate like a rocket.

I'm of two minds about this...  the coaches made a mistake with Virtanen... not everyone's Bo ready, but this kid looks and behaves like a more mature young man... (he is more mature)

What's the early opinion?

Keep him in Van for the rest of the season, or send him down to Utica for some good playoff experience?

Brock Boeser is so NHL ready that he scores goals.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:10 AM, hatedkid666 said:

We have one guy with 20+ goals this year. Boeser is making the team next year no doubt

We actually have 2. Horvat and Granlund.

Also to note that baertschi is probably a 20 goal scorer next year, and that sutter and eriksson are usually 20 goal scorers.

This year has been a catastrophy for the vets.....

On 3/28/2017 at 10:27 AM, Dr. Crossbar said:

And when you think of Virtanen in this mix, you can easily see why he's not ready and needs to be in Utica. He doesn't have the same maturity, accountability, standards, and focus on his two-way game to be a pro. 

There's a huge difference between being NHL ready from a skill and talent perspective, and being ready to be a pro NHL player. Ultimately, on some level, this is a key factor that makes a huge difference.

Aside from what I see on the ice only with Boeser, I also see this guy is ready to be a pro in the NHL. Right now, I'm not second guessing that until I have a reason to think otherwise.

Well said.  Pretty obvious the difference between Virtanen, McCann, and Goldobin versus Hutton, Boeser and Stecher.  Much can be accounted for by age, but it was remarkable how Boeser looked like he belonged right from his first period.  It was like a seamless transition.  Does not look like there will be any need for him to see a minute in Utica.

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We actually have 2. Horvat and Granlund.

Also to note that baertschi is probably a 20 goal scorer next year, and that sutter and eriksson are usually 20 goal scorers.

This year has been a catastrophy for the vets.....

granlund had 19?

Archived