The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Boeser had a great collegiate career and an impressive 9 game intro to the NHL. Huge temptation to throw the kid onto the roster simply because the fans are howling for some kind of sign that this rebuild will yield results. To an extent I think many fans think that Horvat's progression is normal. He was an exception. Virtanen is an example on the other end of that equation. One has to ask how management and fans could misread his readiness to play at the NHL level.

Like you I see a short run of games to see how he is doing and will not be upset if he spends time in the AHL. Ideally movement up and down from Utica is what I hope to see with a list of prospects this coming season.  

Sounds good to me.  No need to rush young players into the NHL.  Utica is the perfect training ground where the prospects can improve their game without the tremendous pressure in Vancouver.  Brock (and some of the others) will get a chance soon enough.  The season is so much longer in the NHL (and tougher), so it never hurts to introduce a prospect to the long season via the AHL.

If Brock excels in Utica, I hope he joins the Canucks after Christmas.  This would give him 40-45 games, which would be just right.

Imo it will all come down to his speed.

If he has indeed got faster with more explosive speed off the mark, I think he will be given a chance to make a claim to a place and then possibly "rested" down to Utica for spells to keep him fresh. Each time he comes back up hopefully stronger and stays longer.

If he hasn't improved his speed I don't see him featuring for a few months, as he will be far better working on it down in Utica.

Ready. Of all the rookies he's the one I see most ready. He'll quickly move up the Calder talk ranks.

I thought he was 24 due to his poise and maturity.

He plays the game smart.

He has Bo like character and drive.

He has great flow - and what team doesn't need more flow during the warm-ups?

How he plays tonight and through the weekend will speak volumes to his chances of starting the year in NHL.  If he is clearly the best player on the ice shift-in-out, then he stands a much better chance than if he is simply "better than the average prospect out there" sort of observation.   If he is going to knock down the door, it starts this weekend.    

9 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How he plays tonight and through the weekend will speak volumes to his chances of starting the year in NHL.  If he is clearly the best player on the ice shift-in-out, then he stands a much better chance than if he is simply "better than the average prospect out there" sort of observation.   If he is going to knock down the door, it starts this weekend.    

A 3 point night would be great...but even if he doesn't get a point tonight, as long as he finishes the pre-season at a ppg or better (the last 3-4 games before the season starts), he should be in the line-up.

If we don't have at least one injury to the forward vet.s by that time I can still see Benning pulling a "Stecher" on him...but as long as he makes it back up in a week or 2 if that does happen, then he will still have a good shot at the Calder.

If he earns the spot and get's sent down and is not back up within 3 weeks ...then I will be starting to rant.

Brock has the hockey sense to play with guys like the Sedin's, Granlund, Horvat and Rodin...that can't be taught...it just is, or isn't.

I think he will make whatever line he is put on a serious threat to score but put him with those guys above and they will make each other better...sort of an exponential  thing.

Put him with the Sedins all year and I think he rejuvenate's them too PPG players again...I would love to prove some pundits wrong with a playoff race....

That said if they put him with Gaunce (no offense to Brendan I do like his game)  and Boucher all pre-season it will say a lot about the game plan.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Yeah, it's real early, after two games...

Yeah, the kid has probably been running on a huge hit of adrenaline for the last two games...

Yeah, he was playing at home in Minnesota in front of the family...

Conversely...  He is still dealing with the wrist injury...

Conversely...  He has gotta be exhausted after playing 3 hi tempo games in a row...

But you gotta admit... He looks good.  REAL GOOD... as a certain coach might say...  B) 

Add on to that a summer re-habbing and a fitness routine under the care and attention of the pro's of the Canucks staff... and I gotta believe his scating will improve, he'll put on pounds, and that nose for the net and the passing finesse he has clearly shown may send him out of the gate like a rocket.

I'm of two minds about this...  the coaches made a mistake with Virtanen... not everyone's Bo ready, but this kid looks and behaves like a more mature young man... (he is more mature)

What's the early opinion?

Keep him in Van for the rest of the season, or send him down to Utica for some good playoff experience?

I disagree with keeping that line together when Vanek has been signed, drop Baer to 3rd line to add a bit there but I believe if Vanek Bo and Boeser play together then that's one potent scoring line. Sedins with (Rodin) /Gran 2nd line now that he's healthy and Gran a standby if he doesn;'t. the 3rd/4th line is interchangeable and can be fairly talented with the young guys fighting over the bottom 6 forward spots.  Ok and sure you can call me insane for saying this but I bet we squeak in the playoff's this year...  out in the first round sure but...  you saw here first!  lol  ok so super optimistic but hey..  who knows

Nothing is certain, but in my opinion, Boeser is a lock in the top 6. 

I think he is absolutely ready for the NHL as an impact player. 

All the talk about him possibly starting in Utica is just noise. I see no way he doesn't start and stay on the Canucks. If they need to make room, they can trade or waive somebody. Brock is the real deal. 

And that shot! Awesome. 

i'm so surprised by his top end speed which is actually quite good. He has powerful stride, but has not an aggressive skating style.

On the opposite he has a very poor 2-3 firsts steps, where he seems to be so heavy and lose his power during the motion.

he could be a deadly skater if he works especially on his explosiveness.

3 hours ago, 44 Duncan said:

He made a few great passes today but all in all it wasn't a great game. If that shot didn't hit the post and went in we would all be crying a different story though. 

Yeah but i wouldn't mind giving Boesser a look this season at the main club.

He might need an adjustment period but hey Johnny Gaudreau didn't have a productive start either. 

Pre season games that are to be playing here are going to be full of youth. I would like to see him get games with veteran players. He looks like a man amung boys in this turny. Rattled two off the pipes. Very noticeable in the games.

Juolevi looks like a 19 year old. He shows flashes of what his potential is but needs more seasoning.  Not in junior.

Archived